Mander Organ Builders Forum

That Toccata ...

Malcolm Farr

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone familiar with Egil Hovland's Toccata on Now Thank We All our God ?

I think Christopher Herrick recorded it at Westminster Abbey for the first of the Hyperion Organ Fireworks discs.

E major. Tune easily identifiable and great fun to be had on last page with fruity

chord/glissandi and a strong cadence.

H

Guest Lee Blick

If I had a Civil Partnership ceremony, I think I would want to process out to Boellman's Toccata from the Suite Gothique. But no-one loves an organist. I will be a single manual for ever :lol:

If I had a Civil Partnership ceremony, I think I would want to process out to Boellman's Toccata from the Suite Gothique.  But no-one loves an organist.  I will be a single manual for ever  ;)

A "Civil Partnership ceremony" - is that what it's called in English these days?

Maybe "Où s'en vont ces gays bergers - Daquin" is appropriate on some of them.

This is joke, ok?

:lol:

I haven't hear of it either, but gather there is a delightful "easy" version for those cathedral organists who train their choirs as badly as they untrain their choristers!! :)

R

Richard - a diffident first post from a new member. I've followed with considerable interest your comments about current methods of chorister training, here and also in Choir and Organ, for example. This is of course an organ discussion board and I wouldn't dream of cluttering it up with off-thread discussion (unless others would find it interesting to read it as well), but there's an interesting exchange of views to be had on this subject, which is a complex one. Might such a discussion interest you? I'm Organist of a large red brick cathedral in the South of England which was completed in 1961 so I shouldn't be too hard to track down via the cathedral website..... Best wishes.

I'm never quite sure whether forum moderators welcome direct requests: I guess it depends on the individual.

You can do it by going to the forums' home page, clicking on John Pike Mander's name (where it says "Forum led by...") and send him a mail. Personally, though, I think I'd just post the thread and include a note to the moderators to the effect that you'll understand if they feel it's inappropriate - they'll delete it if they're unhappy about it.

Personally (and so long as the Moderators do not object) I would be very interested indeed to read a discussion on this subject. How about a new thread on the General Discussion forum?

I would too, and since the principal function of many organs is for accompanimental purposes both that which (ie the music) and those whom (ie the singers) they accompany would seem sufficiently connected to this forum to be discussed here. I do not see why the moderators would object unless the discussion gets too heated.

Brian Childs

I would too, and since the principal function of many organs is for accompanimental purposes both that which (ie the music) and those whom (ie the singers) they accompany would seem sufficiently connected to this forum to be discussed here. I do not see why the moderators would object unless the discussion gets too heated.

Brian Childs

Thanks for your responses. I'll start a new thread, to which I hope Richard will contribute too... Maybe we can move this hoary old debate on a bit, who knows - I certainly hope we can avoid name calling. It will have some tangential reference to organ sound I think but may move away from it from time to time.

A "Civil Partnership ceremony" - is that what it's called in English these days?

Maybe "Où s'en vont ces gays bergers - Daquin" is  appropriate on some of them.

This is joke, ok?

:unsure:

====================

I'm all for this Civil Partnership thing, and the economics of the day tend to suggest that they should be held in church without delay.

I know this may raise a few hackles, but then, just consider the financial advantages.

These guys (and gals) have a large amount of disposable-income.....two bread-winners etc.

Generally speaking, they don't have children to drain resources.

They live in a social whirl of hairdressing, designer clothes and skin-care and know how to party.

I would be more than happy to supply whatever wedding-music they want and I could surround myself with multi-keyboards quite happily. If they want the theme music from "Robin Hood...men in tights" I would be happy to arrange it and perform it for them.

My fee? £500

:ph34r:

MM

Richard - a diffident first post from a new member. I've followed with considerable interest your comments about current methods of chorister training, here and also in Choir and Organ, for example.  This is of course an organ discussion board and I wouldn't dream of cluttering it up with off-thread discussion (unless others would find it interesting to read it as well), but there's an interesting exchange of views to be had on this subject, which is a complex one. Might such a discussion interest you? I'm Organist of a large red brick cathedral in the South of England which was completed in 1961 so I shouldn't be too hard to track down via  the cathedral website..... Best wishes.

I too would be interested in reading such discussions, particularly for the views of such a fine player, whose choir sounds pretty nifty to my ears... :unsure:

But also, the Widor works well at a variety of tempi, with my personal preference for it to be played a little slower than usual, as I find it then goes with a bit of a swing.

The slowest I've heard it done is a recording by Alistair Ross at High Wycombe Parish Church in the early 1970s (on a privately produced audiophile LP called "Pieces of Eight"). The notes explained that it wasn't possible to make the organ play any faster!

Paul

The slowest I've heard it done is a recording by Alistair Ross at High Wycombe Parish Church in the early 1970s (on a privately produced audiophile LP called "Pieces of Eight").  The notes explained that it wasn't possible to make the organ play any faster!

Paul

Slower than Édouard Commette (6'53")?

Guest Lee Blick
They live in a social whirl of hairdressing, designer clothes and skin-care and know how to party.

That is a generalisation if I saw one.

I would be more than happy to supply whatever wedding-music they want and I could surround myself with multi-keyboards quite happily. If they want the theme music from "Robin Hood...men in tights" I would be happy to arrange it and perform it for them.

Robin Hood...men in tights? Which century are you in, dear?

My fee? £500

Even if you are cathedral organist, or professional recitalist I doubt anyone would take you up on that 'offer'.

Guest Lee Blick

SO what is the proper speed to play it, or is it the case of how long is a piece of string? Is Arthur Nobile's interpretation the definative performance?

SO what is the proper speed to play it, or is it the case of how long is a piece of string?  Is Arthur Nobile's interpretation the definative performance?

Surely the correct speed is that which results in a musical performance, taking into account the instrument, its action and the building in which it is contained.

That is a generalisation if I saw one.

Robin Hood...men in tights?  Which century are you in, dear?

Even if you are cathedral organist, or professional recitalist I doubt anyone would take you up on that 'offer'.

=================

Nonsense! £500 is nothing.

If they don't like it, they can get Elton John to play.

MM