Mander Organ Builders Forum

Harmoniums: Their Value?

Guest Lee Blick

Guest Lee Blick

How much are harmoniums worth?

There is someone selling a rather ordinary one manual, turn of the century (19th) one, pump with the pedals, with a minimum bid of £200. Is that rather alot?

I understand that the two manual and pedal Estey or Rushworth's are worth quite it bit more.

I would have thought £50 would be nearer the mark. Am I right or wrong?

How much are harmoniums worth?

There is someone selling a rather ordinary one manual, turn of the century (19th) one, pump with the pedals,  with a minimum bid of £200.  Is that rather alot?

I understand that the two manual and pedal Estey or Rushworth's are worth quite it bit more.

I would have thought £50 would be nearer the mark.  Am I right or wrong?

Hi

It really depends on what make the instrument is - like pianos (and pipe organs) there are good and bad. Also, is it a harmonium or an American Organ?

My Alexandre - needing some attention but basically sound, cost me getting on for £200 last year - but an American organ from one of the many high-volume, low cost builders in poor condition would be worth a lot less - whilst a Mustel in top condition would be very much more expensive.

The big 2mp Esteys and Rushworth's are pretty good quality instruments - and the Rushworth Appolos were pretty scarce to start with, so there's scarcity value to consider as well as price. The Estey "Lizt"(SP?) range are regarded by many as the Rolls-Toyce of suction reed organs, and so tend to change hands for above-average prices.

The Reed Organ Society's magazine used to quote e-bay auction results at one stage (I've not seen it lately) - the range of prices paid was vast - sometimes probably unrealistically high - as are the expecations of many sellers.

For those intrerested in Reed organs, may I suggest a visit to the Reed Organ Society's web page - and maybe a membership - it's not too expensive.

Every Blessing

Tony

(Who, as you may realise, is something of a reed-organ enthusiast)

Tony

(Who, as you may realise, is something of a reed-organ enthusiast)

=====================

Until quite recently, I had little time for reed-organs, but stumbled across a web-site (which I have been trying to find ever since) with a number of mp3 tracks.

I was absolutely stunned by the quality of the music, by such as Guilmant, Lemmens and Karg-Elert among others. I listened to it over and over again before losing track of the site.

If I every come across it again, I shall post details.

MM

• 4 weeks later...