Mander Organ Builders Forum

Vierne Finale Symphony No.1

Guest Lee Blick

Guest Lee Blick

I was wondering if people could listen to this performance (its not me playing, I promise!). It says on the link, "as interpreted by...". I would like to know what that is suppose to mean.

I would like comments on what you think of the performance, and of the rest of the website, especially the 'bio'. Florence Foster Jenkins springs to mind but perhaps I am being uncharitable. What do you think? :)

Vierne - Finale of Symphony no. 1

Mr. Nobile's Bio

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seems I have to correct my Vierne Symph.1 score ....

He is the complete artiste, a one-of-a-kind marvel who transforms his instrument from a dead mass of keys and pedals into a living, breathing life form of amazing sights and sounds. He cannot be understood or appreciated by words on a page. To see him is to believe in miracles. To hear him is to know magic. You must see and hear this defining genius of the 21st century of art.

In 1937 Vierne died at the console, now he gets butchered at it ...

I was wondering if people could listen to this performance (its not me playing, I promise!).  It says on the link, "as interpreted by...".  I would like to know what that is suppose to mean.

I would like comments on what you think of the performance, and of the rest of the website, especially the 'bio'.  Florence Foster Jenkins springs to mind but perhaps I am being uncharitable.  What do you think?  :)

No, you are not.

How does a mind work in which the Vierne Finale is represented like this?

And then -- have you seen the video on

<http://www.nobile.com/html/video.html>?

In German we say "Organistenzwirn" to this kind of ... um ... sound. And the video makes me feel sea-sick just from watching. Why does he treat the poor console like that?

Hurrying to the railing:

Friedrich

No, you are not.

How does a mind work in which the Vierne Finale is represented like this?

And then -- have you seen the video on

<http://www.nobile.com/html/video.html>?

In German we say "Organistenzwirn" to this kind of ... um ... sound. And the video makes me feel sea-sick just from watching. Why does he treat the poor console like that?

Hurrying to the railing:

Friedrich

the widor's worse....

Well, there is even "better" than the Widor's second burying:

"Mr. Nobile is particularly proud of the guidance he was able to give in the design, layout and specifications for the revolutionary new Ulrich Organ, the Cathedral Instrument for St. Ignatius Loyola. Built by the Rodgers Instrument Corporation, a subsidiary of the Roland Group, the organ was installed in the summer of 2001. It is one of the most revolutionary digital instruments of the decade."

(Quote)

The association with the very name "St-Ignatius Loyola" is annoying.

Of course there are churches and Cathedrals aplenty that hold this name,

BUT.....

Pierre

the widor's worse....

Heck! And the brass is always late!

Good thing Mr. Nobile browses through the middle section so quickly. This way, the Trumpet and Trombone players can't have more than one pint or two before re-entering even later.

(Or do brass players made of sand develop drinking habits different from those of their colleagues in flesh and blood?)

Enchanted,

Friedrich

Heck! And the brass is always late!

Good thing Mr. Nobile browses through the middle section so quickly. This way, the Trumpet and Trombone players can't have more than one pint or two before re-entering even later.

(Or do brass players made of sand develop drinking habits different from those of their colleagues in flesh and blood?)

Enchanted,

Friedrich

I'm quite tempted to offer him a concert here, but we're booked out until 2008...

I was going to give everyone a stiff lecture about not poking fun at others with less ability - and then I listened. I think the internet shorthand is OMG!

I promise I haven't touched a drop of liquor all day, but even looking at the score I can't understand how he gets from the first bar to the last. And mentioning bars, I'm beginning to feel the need for one...

JC

At last!! An organist to play the great organ schemes of Born-in-arse.

I think I had a disciple of this "organist" - sorry, "fusician" - give a concert at our church. GTB's Elegy and Mendelsohn III were the victims for sacrifice on the organ bench that time. They sounded exactly alike, except one gave the impression of going a bit faster in the middle...

I was wondering if people could listen to this performance (its not me playing, I promise!).  It says on the link, "as interpreted by...".  I would like to know what that is suppose to mean.

I would like comments on what you think of the performance, and of the rest of the website, especially the 'bio'.  Florence Foster Jenkins springs to mind but perhaps I am being uncharitable.  What do you think?  :)

Vierne - Finale of Symphony no. 1

Mr. Nobile's Bio

This has to be a joke, right? The bio states (with sincerity I think) that this guy is a "defining genius of the 21st century of art"; utterly tasteless would be more accurate. The Widor comes from an album called "reinvented" - I never understand the point of this sort of thing. It's like reinventing the wheel only making it square this time...totally pointless and the original works infinitely better anyway.

Guest Lee Blick

:):):lol:

You know, I can always count on you guys to give an honest and measured opinion!

I was just wondering how you pronouce his name, is it as in 'mobile' or 'morebile'? :P

On the video, from behind he looks as if he's playing a different organ ;)

Someone, please, please fix Arthur up with a recital at St. Paul's or another big installation here in the UK!

==================

I think that, as a composer, this particular organist might benefit from a wider exposure to European music, because it sounds vaguely like a French Romantic work I have heard previously. :)

MM

I was going to give everyone a stiff lecture about not poking fun at others with less ability - and then I listened.  I think the internet shorthand is OMG! 

I promise I haven't touched a drop of liquor all day, but even looking at the score I can't understand how he gets from the first bar to the last.  And mentioning bars, I'm beginning to feel the need for one...

JC

=====================

“Art is the emotion in which several double-meausures are expressed” - MusingMuso 21/2/06 (with apologoies to Nadia Boulanger)

But this recording is a treasure - surely it is the only one in existence, in which a giant panda is dressed up in a 'man-suit'....and is then recorded giving a rending [sic] of Repertoire you thought you Knew.

I think I will now have a nice vodka....

:)

Wowsers.  What is the next stage on beyond the mind boggling?

I want to assure my friends here that the American standard of organ playing (not to mention mental health) is generally much higher than this disgrace.

One is reminded of the Emperor's New Clothes.

Karl Watson,

Staten Island, NY

Guest Lee Blick

emsgdh,

You need not assure us, we Brits know there are good American organists over the pond! We get Carlo Curly coming over ever such a lot. :)

One wonders whether he might acutally benefit from some lessons...

Fair point, he does seem keen. Odd arrangements such as the Widor is probably him saying that he'd love to be able to play the piece properly, but can't. Same goes for his "interpretation" of the Vierne. I see he can be contacted through his website; perhaps the "feedback" contained in this thread would be instructive to him?

Well, he's got the enthusiasm, just needs tempering with a good teacher (of which I'm sure there are many in the US) who can sort out his technique and get some style and taste into his playing. So long as his head isn't in the clouds or far up his own a***, he might have potential.