Mander Organ Builders Forum

Vierne Finale Symphony No.1

Guest Lee Blick

Guest Lee Blick

From 'Arty's' Bio:

...There is one difference: Arthur Nobile is not an organist. He plays something called an “organ,” but this is where the similarity ends...

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Roffensis

That has to be a joke. The guy obviously has the technique, I think our Florence deliberately set out to take the **** out of upper society. The Vierne is a hoot, and easy to follow with the score upside down.

R

I sense brinkmanship!

There seems to some support hereabouts for the concept of a tour...perhaps we should issue an invitation for a couple of lunchtime concerts, Andrew. Can you find a slot at St Saviour's? I' d travel a long way to hear that combination of organ and performer. As for the pronunciation I had imagined it was No-bi-le, as in 'La Donna e....'

OK - I managed four seconds of the 'Widor' - then I had to kill the download.

Well, his biography is correct in at least one detail - this bloke is definitely not an organist.

How does he have the gall to leave this nonsense on the 'net?

:)

But this recording is a treasure - surely it is the only one in existence, in which a giant panda is dressed up in a 'man-suit'....and is then recorded giving a rending [sic] of Repertoire you thought you Knew.

I think I will now have a nice vodka....

I think you are being most unfair to pandas :lol::)

There seems to some support hereabouts for the concept of a tour...perhaps we should issue an invitation for a couple of lunchtime concerts, Andrew. Can you find a slot at St Saviour's? I' d travel a long way to hear that combination of organ and performer.  As for the pronunciation I had imagined it was No-bi-le, as in 'La Donna e....'

Surely the words "to avoid having to" have been left out of the penultimate sentence ?

Ha!

Good evening, Brian!

Yes - I am probably being unfair to pandas - but then, he is being cruel to organs.... and our ears, which is arguably worse!

I am tempted to send him some feedback.

Your last post - yes! There was once a review of Sale of the Century (which at the time, was hosted by Nicholas Parsons) and that read 'It is worth going out, just to miss this programme'....

OK - I managed four seconds of the 'Widor' - then I had to kill the download.

Well, his biography is correct in at least one detail - this bloke is definitely not an organist.

How does he have the gall to leave this nonsense on the 'net?

:lol:

Have you tried the Holst ? Or the Fantasy in Dmi which reminds me of something I think I know but I cannot be quite sure. It's like looking at something through frosted glass - you get a sense of outline and form but no clear image.

Out of interest I looked up his CDs to see what they cost . According to his order form they are $30 apiece, when Fred Hohman at Zarex only charges $15 for a Pro Organo CD ! I have a fairly extensive CD collection and I LOVE tonal percussion stops but for quite unaccountable reasons I experience no feeling that my collection will not be complete until I have added at least one CD by "Arty" to it ! No doubt it betrays a certain narrowness of vision on my part and an unwillingness to embace new trends in music making... Ah well :)

Have you tried the Holst ? Or the Fantasy in Dmi which reminds me of something I think I know but I cannot be quite sure. It's like looking at something through frosted glass - you get a sense of outline and form but no clear image.

Sorry, Brian - I just cannot face it. Even a few seconds of his playing makes me feel wobbly....

....we see through a dark glassly....

Why berate the poor chap? He plays the Vierne better than I did aged 14... If I'd read all this invective when I was that age, I think I would have given up the organ completely and started concentrating on the fairer sex somewhat earlier than I did....

But a) he's quite a lot older than 14 (certainly old enough to have acquired an ability to decipher notation a bit more accurately) and :( his site is chock a block with intemperately immodest statements about his own ability and artistic siginificance....so he is rather inviting, if not ridicule, then certainly trenchant comment.

But a) he's quite a lot older than 14 (certainly old enough to have acquired an ability to decipher notation a bit more accurately) and  :( his site is chock a block with intemperately immodest statements about his own ability and artistic siginificance....so he is rather inviting, if not ridicule, then certainly trenchant comment.

No idea what that smiley is doing there - and of course I meant significance, not what I typed. It's late.

No idea what that smiley is doing there - and of course I meant significance, not what I typed. It's late.

Thank God I am not the only person who makes typographical errors - I quite often have to edit posts two or three times, unitl I have eradicated errors of syntax or spelling....

To answer mrbouffant - surely you are not serious? As Stephen has said, the chap is considerably older than fourteen and appears to have an ego the size of Jessye Norman's brassière....

He plays like a circus ring-master who has recently taken to using controlled substances in a big way, between concerts....

Incidentally, the smiley is there because you typed the character 'b', followed by a 'close brackets' - this results in the board's software interpreting that as the smiley which it loaded for you. The avatar function is also not currently available.

To avoid the problem, you could use 1) and 2) - this will result in the board uploading exactly what you have typed. Hope this helps.

Guest Lee Blick
my collection will not be complete until I have added at least one CD by "Arty" to it

Well if $30 seems overpriced, why don't we all club together to buy one, and pass it around just like at school passing around the battered copy of, erm... Organists Review?

Naughty Mr bouffant! :(