Mander Organ Builders Forum

Vierne Finale Symphony No.1

Guest Lee Blick

If I may I would tentatively venture one positive observation... in a sort of a way I think his "Crown Him With Many Crowns" "improvisation" has a bit of style, and I kind of liked it - if only he would lose those ridiculous body movements and affectations at the console. Oh, and stop playing Vierne and Widor.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh God, I take it all back. WTF is a Fusician?

From the bio page:

"Arty is a Fusician, fusing the genres of art, architecture, literature, theater, and music in one unique and startling whole. He bursts upon the stage ....."

I'm disappointed that the taping of his TV series has been 'postponed'. It has the potential to be the organ equivalent of Spinal Tap.

If I may I would tentatively venture one positive observation... in a sort of a way I think his "Crown Him With Many Crowns" "improvisation" has a bit of style, and I kind of liked it - if only he would lose those ridiculous body movements and affectations at the console.    Oh, and stop playing Vierne and Widor.

Hmmm - I think that DJB may disagree! His link with the theme (on the bit that my computer will actually play), is at best tenuous. The harmony is awkward in places and he is clearly 'lifting' one or two harmonic progressions and ideas from organists who are rather better-known for superb-quality improvisations!

I suppose that it is possible that my computer has some musical taste - and has activated a self-censoring programme.

What a load of objectionable, elitist snobs we all are on this message board.  Shame on us!

Yes, you're right. I'm having a conscience debate about it. As I said in an earlier post - not to my taste, but to each their own. I would hate for Mr Nobile to find this thread, and to think that we're decrying his talents ; he's clearly not without talent, just his style of playing doesn't fit with what I would choose to listen to.

Hmmm - I think that DJB may disagree! His link with the theme (on the bit that my computer will actually play), is at best tenuous. The harmony is awkward in places and he is clearly 'lifting' one or two harmonic progressions and ideas from organists who are rather better-known for superb-quality improvisations!

I suppose that it is possible that my computer has some musical taste - and has activated a self-censoring programme.

You're right, of course, the theme appears in the middle apparently disconnected from what surrounds it. I just had a degree of sympathy with the overall style of the thing.

The video is rather jumpy - is your connection dial-up or broadband?

Also, interestingly - the instruments featured on his website that he has played and recorded on are all digital, and, perhaps less surprisingly, if you look at the "concerts" link on his site, it is rather bare!

Nah ... it's just that I've been spending too much time on the BBC's Radio 3 message board and have picked up their habits :)

Seriously, I think you make a good point. It's not as though this board has closed membership, and there aren't many organ fora in existence. How long before Mr Nobile does actually find this board, and how would this thread come across? As you say - whether in seriousness or in jest, I can't tell - like a bunch of elitest snobs.

For once, I can understand some of stevec_whatsisname's vitriol directed towards ivory tower British organ snobs (and I'm not trying to be rude about anyone on here, I include myself in this label, despite not being a very good organist!).

You're right, of course, the theme appears in the middle apparently disconnected from what surrounds it.  I just had a degree of sympathy with the overall style of the thing.

The video is rather jumpy - is your connection dial-up or broadband? 

Also, interestingly - the instruments featured on his website that he has played and recorded on are all digital, and, perhaps less surprisingly, if you look at the "concerts" link on his site, it is rather bare!

I have Broadband - but when I try to play the video, it becomes 'Anorexic Band' - perhaps it, too, has developed taste and cannot bear to download the video....

For once, I can understand some of stevec_whatsisname's vitriol directed towards ivory tower British organ snobs (and I'm not trying to be rude about anyone on here, I include myself in this label, despite not being a very good organist!).

Having been a direct recipient, I cannot!

Sorry, but I think if he chooses to butcher wonderful music like this, he deserves all he gets!

I also suspect that underneath all that fluff and nonsense, there is a fairly sound technique; in which case, the lack of taste is entirely his own fault - but that is only my opinion.

I also suspect that underneath all that fluff and nonsense, there is a fairly sound technique; in which case, the lack of taste is entirely his own fault - but that is only my opinion.

Yes, I agree with you - I don't think the guy is talentless, just tasteless. At least, to my stuffy British ear.

Yes, I agree with you - I don't think the guy is talentless, just tasteless. At least, to my stuffy British ear.

Sorry - going to stick my head above the parapet here. He isn't talentless but he is clueless. He has technique but he hasn't bothered to learn how to play the notes in the score accurately - so he's just making it up. Most of the Widor is there for example but theres a bleeding chunk missing for no structural reason at all.

I suspect that he may even not read music and does it by ear - an achievement in itself if that's the case.

But music making doesn't even come into it. It's just vacuous nonsense - listen closely to the improvisation - theres no real skill just a few flash ideas - and most organists can sound impressive on the tutti.

Sorry - going to stick my head above the parapet here. He isn't talentless but he is clueless. He has technique but he hasn't bothered to learn how to play the notes in the score accurately - so he's just making it up. Most of the Widor is there for example but theres a bleeding chunk missing for no structural reason at all.

I suspect that he may even not read music and does it by ear - an achievement in itself if that's the case.

But music making doesn't even come into it. It's just vacuous nonsense - listen closely to the improvisation - theres no real skill just a few flash ideas - and most organists can sound impressive on the tutti.

I could not agree more!

I have just persuaded my computer to play the whole thing. There is minimal use of the theme, no development of ideas. His middle harmonisation exhibits a paucity of chord-knowledge. In addition, as you say, he relies on cheap gimmicks, such as 'exciting' registrations and meaningless hand- and body-gestures.

It is indeed a soufflé - or perhaps a 'turnip surprise' would be more accurate; as in: "There's nothing in it, except for turnip, Mr. B."

Thank you, Baldrick.

Did anyone notice he had the Crescendo Pedal fully open, yet he was still pulling stops out?  :D  :)

Amongst other things!

However, quite a few things which were pushed, pulled, or prodded (with a foot) appeared to have relatively little impact on the dynamic level - or, indeed, the timbre.

Hmmm....

Thank you!

I tried it and it got part-way into the 'improvisation' - and then stopped.

On balance, whilst in a way I am grateful that it stopped, it might be entertaining to hear the entire thing.

Has anyone else had this experience - or does my computer need a good kicking again?

Same thing happened to me when I tried to look at it, possible further evidence of the bounty of the Almighty.

Brian