Mander Organ Builders Forum

Duruflé Toccata

Vox Humana

I've seen reference to a UMP edition.  Maybe that's it? Unfortunately I can't check as their website doesn't seem to have a complete listing of their organ music (or if it has it's very well hidden).

Vox - UMP are the UK agents for a variety of French publishers. one of whom is Durand - the only way of getting the older ending of the Toccata is finding someone who bought their copy before the revisions were published it's no longer in print. S

Are you referring to the recording which he made at Buckfast Abbey of the whole Suite (Op. 5)? I have a copy of this and I have always been impressed by the excellent playing on this LP.

It is only the organ which lets it down. It is a superb instrument - in a generous acoustic - but it just does not happen to sound particularly French. The ensemble (and the tutti) is quint mixture dominated - wht the chorus reeds a very poor second. Even the Pedal Bombarde is not that exciting on the recording, however it may originally have sounded to RD in the close confines of the North Aisle pre-1963.

Yes, that's the one. The playing is indeed superb, but I agree with you about the sound of the organ for that repertoire. I remember David being keen on it - he also made an excellent recording of Vierne 6 there a couple of years later.

Who publishes the earlier version?  Or are they both through Durand - must one specify which version one is after?

Rgds

MJF

The early version was also from Durand, funny though that the newer one doesn't mention corrections/changes. If you're interested let me know, I could post the notes ....

Maybe in his wisdom he was right. But he didn't like the Requiem much either - the story goes that Dupré rescued the manuscript from being thrown in the fireplace.

Personally I like the (revised) Toccata a lot.

So do I and so Pierre Pincemaille does.

In Duruflé's complete works for organ recorded in Bonn, it is clearly said that Duruflé more or less disavowed the first version of his toccata which is nervertheless played by Pincemaille who told me a few months ago he was prefering the original version.

Worth noticing that this piece was one of the obligatory finalist pieces in the 1974 International Chartres competition chaired by Marie-Madeleine Duruflé herself!

• 1 year later...

My original copy of the John Scott/Hyperion Durufle CD, which I bought when it was released, succumbed to the infamous brown rot that has affected many Hyperion discs, and I only recently got round to replacing it. But here's the thing: on my original disc, I'm sure the Prelude to the Suite began with what I always assumed was another variant, subsequently revised and not present in my score: while the opening Bb is held, and before the pedal entry, there was a nice squishy chord on the strings. I rather liked it. But on my new copy of the CD, which is apparently an exact replacement for the old one, the string chord has vanished! It's some years since I listened to the old CD, but I'm sure I can't have imagined the different opening. Can anyone with an original copy of the CD confirm this?

Guest Nigel ALLCOAT
Worth noticing that this piece was one of the obligatory finalist pieces in the 1974 International Chartres competition chaired by Marie-Madeleine Duruflé herself!

To the best of my failing knowledge, this was the reason why he could not stand the Toccata as it had been part of a competition (which I thought he was a member of the jury) and he could no longer hear it or like it again. Was this the competition?

Best wishes,

Nigel

My original copy of the John Scott/Hyperion Durufle CD, which I bought when it was released, succumbed to the infamous brown rot that has affected many Hyperion discs, and I only recently got round to replacing it. But here's the thing: on my original disc, I'm sure the Prelude to the Suite began with what I always assumed was another variant, subsequently revised and not present in my score: while the opening Bb is held, and before the pedal entry, there was a nice squishy chord on the strings. I rather liked it. But on my new copy of the CD, which is apparently an exact replacement for the old one, the string chord has vanished! It's some years since I listened to the old CD, but I'm sure I can't have imagined the different opening. Can anyone with an original copy of the CD confirm this?

I think I can confirm this - must a have a copy on MC somewhere in the attic with that cord on it. I do remember this cord not being in the scores I have and considered it being the copy gone wrong. Now you mention it, I'll have a second look (the tape must be about 15 years old or so).

BTW. does anybody hear play the first version of the Scherzo, also quite different? I like it, though Frederic Blanc specifically asked me not play it in public (on behalf of the Durufle Association).

I'm pretty certain it's an error on the disc: compare it with the opening of the Scherzo... See!