Mander Organ Builders Forum

Interesting And Unusual Organs

Peter Allison

I would like to ask if anyone knows of any interesting organs in unusual places in the north/ northwest , durham area. A friend and and I are looking at making a recording of 3 or 4 organs, and if the results are worthy, it can be released on CD. This is a project for summer, just to stop getting under the mrs's feet during the warm weather we are goimg to have.

Regards

Peter

I would like to ask if anyone knows of any interesting organs in unusual places in the north/ northwest , durham area. A friend and  and I are looking at making a recording  of 3 or 4 organs, and if the results are worthy, it can be released on CD. This is  a project for summer, just to stop getting under the mrs's feet during the warm weather we are goimg to have.

Regards

Peter

=========================

Indeed I do know of a number of interesting, relatively unknown instruments, including one unique and quite magnificent instrument in a huge acoustic which is currently under threat. I have been meaning to get this organ "in the can" for a while now, because I fear that the church will close in the not too distant future.

There is also the organ I play, which is just superb, and which anyone is welcome to try or record.

I would suggest that Peter contact me off-list.

MM

Guest paul@trinitymusic.karoo.co.uk
I would like to ask if anyone knows of any interesting organs in unusual places in the north/ northwest , durham area. A friend and  and I are looking at making a recording  of 3 or 4 organs, and if the results are worthy, it can be released on CD. This is  a project for summer, just to stop getting under the mrs's feet during the warm weather we are goimg to have.

Regards

Peter

My hot tip has got to be St.James and St.Basil, Fenham, Newcastle-on-Tyne

(I hope I've got that right). An amazing, vitually untouched, post WW1 J.W.Walker. It's a fair-sized three decker including both Choir and Celestial organs in a super acoustic. The Organ Club spent a week in the Durham/Newcastle area two or three years ago and this was the most unusual organ we met.

Gateshead is worth a good session as is Cullercoats.

Unfortunately the organ at City Hall, N. is in a state where a half-decent recording would be impossible. That, too, is amazing.

Regards

Peter

Hi Peter

Talk to the Diocesan Organ Advisor (Richard Hird) - he'll know what's around.

Every Blessing

Tony

Thanks everyone, I have known Richard Hird for quite a few years now, so Had beter give him an e-mail. I know of a great 2 manual Harrison in a church in Fenham, a few years ago, a friend of mine ( Peter Locke) played there quite often and I would go with him and take my recording gear, but sadly the tapes were re recorded over ( slap my wrist) there is always the "wurlitzer at Witton Le Wear :blink: what about Hull Paul, I cannot recall whats about there, since moving to York I have lost touch

regards

Peter

Although a bit further up the map, another interesting instrument is the organ at Rock Parish Church in Northumberland. It's an 1881 Gray & Davison recently restored by Harrisons with 3 manuals and 21 stops. It had an unusual feature for controlling the swell box (not sure whether it is still in use). See the NPOR entry:

http://npor.emma.cam.ac.uk/cgi-bin/Rsearch...ec_index=N04159

Although a bit further up the map, another interesting instrument is the organ at Rock Parish Church in Northumberland. It's an 1881 Gray & Davison recently restored by Harrisons with 3 manuals and 21 stops. It had an unusual feature for controlling the swell box (not sure whether it is still in use). See the NPOR entry:

http://npor.emma.cam.ac.uk/cgi-bin/Rsearch...ec_index=N04159

cheers Jeremy, I have heard of Rock, stayed at the youth hostel there a couple of time in the mid 70's, got to know Vesta Beef Curries rather too well tho :blink:

regards

Peter