Mander Organ Builders Forum

Gustav Merkel - Obtaining The Scores.

Charles Wooler

I have a splendid dic of Adrian Partington playing the Sonatas of Gustav Merkel on the beautiful old lady at Peterborough. I gather the socres are out of print although I did meet someone who had managed to obtain a copy of the Second (g minor) sonata in a second hand book shop in New Zealand of all places. Where can I obtain my own copies of these wonderful sonatas - I heartily reccommend a listen to the 2nd and 6th - preferably new. If they are out of print - is it legal to go tothe British Library and make a photocopy. If it is it just seems bonkers that this fantastic music is silenced through lack of circulation.

I have a splendid dic of Adrian Partington playing the Sonatas of Gustav Merkel on the beautiful old lady at Peterborough. I gather the socres are out of print although I did meet someone who had managed to obtain a copy of the Second (g minor) sonata in a second hand book shop in New Zealand of all places. Where can I obtain my own copies of these wonderful sonatas - I heartily reccommend a listen to the 2nd and 6th - preferably new. If they are out of print - is it legal to go tothe British Library and make a photocopy. If it is it just seems bonkers that this fantastic music is silenced through lack of circulation.

If you go to

http://www.bodensee-musikversand.de/

and put the word "Merkel" in the search box, you will instantly get a list of 82 articles, including the organ sonatas, most of them in two different editions. The are marked "immediately deliverable", so I assume that they are not out of print at all. No, here they are:

http://www.butz-verlag.de/pdfs/orgelwerke.pdf

and go to page 27 of the pdf catalogue. 9 Euros each, that's 6 quid and 22p.....

I expect a UK dealer could them over from Bonn, otherwise Bodensee give excellent service!

Cheers

Barry

• 3 years later...