Mander Organ Builders Forum

Searching For An Out-of-print Score

Guest Cynic

Guest paul@trinitymusic.karoo.co.uk

On the inside of something else I got out recently are a tantalising few bars from each of four movements from Alec Rowley's Rustic Suite. I've enjoyed some Alec Rowley works very much in the past and instantly fell in love with these tiny fragments. Has anyone 'out there' got a copy of the score? It's long out of print, of course. Frankly, so much worthwhile music is these days.

I would happily reimburse any expense involved and could supply other out-of-print music in exchange - I reckon to have quite a decent library of long lost repertoire.

Obviously a reply off list would save pages here, or we can talk about other items we're all currently searching for. It took me years (for instance) to get an original copy of Langlais' Fete, ditto Homage to Perotin by Myron Roberts.

Other items I'm currently searching for:

Four Pieces by Joseph Haas (actually nos 5-8, being the second volume of a set) - he was a pupil of Reger and a very good one, to judge from nos 1-4.

The Scherzo (nicknamed 'La Chasse') that used to be part of Widor's First Symphony and was later removed to make way for the Marche Pontificale.

Anyone able to help?

On the inside of something else I got out recently are a tantalising few bars from each of four movements from Alec Rowley's Rustic Suite. I've enjoyed some Alec Rowley works very much in the past and instantly fell in love with these tiny fragments.  Has anyone 'out there' got a copy of the score?  It's long out of print, of course.  Frankly, so much worthwhile music is these days.

I would happily reimburse any expense involved and could supply other out-of-print music in exchange - I reckon to have quite a decent library of long lost repertoire.

Obviously a reply off list would save pages here, or we can talk about other items we're all currently searching for.  It took me years (for instance) to get an original copy of Langlais' Fete, ditto Homage to Perotin by Myron Roberts. 

Four Pieces by Joseph Haas (actually nos 5-8, being the second volume of a set) - he was a pupil of Reger and a very good one, to judge from nos 1-4. 

The Scherzo (nicknamed 'La Chasse') that used to be part of Widor's First Symphony and was later removed to make way for the Marche Pontificale.

Anyone able to help?

Anyone able to help?

======================

Paul, this sounds suspiciously like the 8 Character Pieces published as a re-print by Schott.

MM

On the inside of something else I got out recently are a tantalising few bars from each of four movements from Alec Rowley's Rustic Suite. I've enjoyed some Alec Rowley works very much in the past and instantly fell in love with these tiny fragments.  Has anyone 'out there' got a copy of the score?  It's long out of print, of course.  Frankly, so much worthwhile music is these days.

Obviously a reply off list would save pages here, or we can talk about other items we're all currently searching for.  It took me years (for instance) to get an original copy of Langlais' Fete, ditto Homage to Perotin by Myron Roberts. 

Anyone able to help?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I always believed that the Scherzo "La Chasse" actually came from Widor II not Widor I. There was a Scherzo in E major and either 6/8 or 12/8 (sorry my copy is in the organ loft at church) which was removed in order to make way for the Salve Regina. I've checked the sleeve notes for the Ben van Oosten Disc of Symphonies 1 and 2 and this seems to confirm my suspicions. This is available very cheaply indeed (under £15 for each of the two volumes) as the fourth movement of Symphonie II in the Dover Edition. These are reprints of the 1872 edition - these are very different to the later 1898 editions which are the expensive French ones that you buy individually (how can the £40 which I paid last month for Vierne II be justifiable). The other major differences that Ican remember of the top of my head- the Final of II is far faster in the original, the Toccata (V) with different articulation, ending and pedalling, a reworked passage leading to the central section of the Scherzo of VI and other rewrites of the Final in VII.

Charles

Anyone able to help?

My memory might be wrong on this - the CD is packed away during building work - but didn't John Scott Whitely record his for Priory on one of those Great European Organ Discs from York? - maybe he can supply.

AJJ

Guest paul@trinitymusic.karoo.co.uk

Dear Readers,

one of your kind number has already supplied me with a photocopy of the complete Rustic Suite that I was asking for not more than a week ago!

So you see - (little) miracles can and do happen.

A couple of hopeful suggestions have also been received about 'La Chasse', though nobody so far actually has a copy or has even heard it. Further evidence, as far as I am concerned, that it definitely needs looking out and performing.

Thanks to everyone who lent a hand and - final call: does anyone out there know about Widor's Scherzo 'La Chasse'? It's not that I am too poverty-stricken or miserley to pay for a copy, just that none is available.

I am surprised that nobody has followed my lead in asking us to look out for things - are you all so happy to limit yourselves to pieces that are readily obtainable? I never was.

A composer friend once told me (in all sincerity) that when something went out-of-print that this was sufficient proof that it was not worth playing. I disagree. The fact that something does not (presently) sell means only that - and that the printers were not asked to produce a large stock in the first place. In fifty years time my friend may have cause to be grateful to anyone who is prepared to track down his forgotten compositions, even if this is only out of curiosity.