Mander Organ Builders Forum

Length Of Tenure For Organists

Was that down to the material on the disk or the quality of singing/directorship?

The performances were, as you would expect of David Hill, of superb quality. No, it was a case of too much melancholic Mendelssohn. Music needs its sturm and drang and this wasn't the case here. I don't think it is necessarily anything to do with single-composer collections - I don't have this problem with discs wholly devoted to sacred choral music by Stanford or Howells, for example.

As far as my comments on the length of tenure, these are simply my own observations on the matter and Stephen's comments, based on his experience, undoubtledly shed light on the issue. David Hill was probably night the right person to use as an example, given that on any one day you might find him directing his college choir, giving an Symphony Organ Concert in Birmingham's Symphony Hall or conducting the Leeds Philharmonic Chorus and BBC Philharmonic in Berlioz's Te Deum at Leeds Town Hall. Quite a guy!

in recent years the progression through the profession has become a much less predictable thing than it ever used to be.
How do you mean, Stephen? It always seemed to me that a vacancy in a top job would be followed by a game of musical chairs, or a Mexican wave if you like, as people lower down the ladder stepped up a rung (have I mixed enough metaphors there?) Doesn't it work like that any more?

How do you mean, Stephen? It always seemed to me that a vacancy in a top job would be followed by a game of musical chairs, or a Mexican wave if you like, as people lower down the ladder stepped up a rung (have I mixed enough metaphors there?) Doesn't it work like that any more?

Well Vox, I'd say it's all a lot more fluid than it was. In no way do I mean to imply that this is necessarily a bad thing, because recent appointments have all been excellent ones; but the 'established' route of Assistantship at ****ester, 10 years as no 1 at *******ton and then finishing up with appointment at the age of 50 or so to the no 1 post at *******ford is less certain than it was.

Well Vox, I'd say it's all a lot more fluid than it was. In no way do I mean to imply that this is necessarily a bad thing, because recent appointments have all been excellent ones; but the 'established' route of Assistantship at ****ester, 10 years as no 1 at *******ton and then finishing up with appointment at the age of 50 or so to the no 1 post at *******ford is less certain than it was.

And as far as I can gather there also appear to be at least two posts filled in the not so distant past where the main incumbent has seemed to be as much a singer as an organist. And one of these with a broader educational spectrum to the job as well - school wise that is.

AJJ

I suppose that's a more or less natural consequence of redefining the top post as a Director of Music rather than an Organist? There's a lot to be said for a choir-trainer being a singer and an educationalist of course...

F G Ormond was organist a Truro for 41 years.  This was before the console was moved to its present position and required a two min walk up a spiral staircase.  Sounds like hard work to me, not to mention getting dizzy.  :P

Well if the glove fits then keep you post. I would think a lot of us agree why do we stay where we are or do what we do. It has to be for sheer love it and dedication. I ve been in my present post nealry 20 years. And although exhausting at times I do it because I love the Church where I am at and Organ. So I would think that might be some reason why some of the Cathedral Organists stay for so many years. Didnt Dr Roy Massey serve the longest or I am mistaken ?

Well if the glove fits then keep you post.  I  would think a lot of us agree why do we stay where we are or do what we do.  It has to be for sheer love it and dedication.  I ve been in my present post nealry 20 years.  And although exhausting at times I do it because I love the Church where I am at and Organ.  So I would think that might be some reason why some of the Cathedral Organists stay for so many years. Didnt Dr Roy Massey  serve the longest or I am  mistaken ?

A long tenure doesn't necessarily mean that people don't apply for other jobs...