Mander Organ Builders Forum

Article In The Guardian

Guest Andrew Butler

The Times reported on this a few weeks ago, and there has been a steady stream of Letters to the Editor ever since. One of the newspapers' younger columnists, Caitlin Moran, commented on this contraption in her column last week. She concluded that "... in an age in which anyone with a half-decent laptop can recreate the Ring Cycle, it does seem odd for any audience to rely on cranking up an instrument that’s half-bagpipe, half-rotovator."

Sing hallelujah for the C of E karaoke machine: http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,10...2156865,00.html

Warning: (Belgian humor on) Well, as far as inhibitions are concerned, I'd better keep mines

or the whole story might well end up between a cemetery (for some people)

and a jail (for me) (belgian humor off).

Is it better that way, dear MM? :P

Pierre.

Well, as far as inhibitions are concerned, I'd better keep mines

or the whole story might well end up between a cemetery (for some people)

and a jail (for me).

Pierre.

=================

Well, this is VERY interesting Pierre.

Think of the Mander Discussion Board as you would the confessional. Your secrets are safe with us.

:P

MM

Surely those with a “half-decent laptop can recreate the Ring Cycle” can only do so because they have had some form of musical training? It is a sad time we live in when we have to rely on a machine to provide the music for our worship. On a positive note, at least churches are prepared to include music within their services. Lastly, I can’t quite see how a chanted psalm (with its ever changing meter) can be successfully programmed into this machine?

Lastly, I can’t quite see how a chanted psalm (with its ever changing meter) can be successfully programmed into this machine?

Ha! Back to metrical psalms and a barrel organ then...

Paul

Lastly, I can’t quite see how a chanted psalm (with its ever changing meter) can be successfully programmed into this machine?
I would hope it can't. Congregational singing of Anglican Chants has to be the most dismal sound the church can offer. I am firmly of the view that psalms should be either sung exclusively by a choir that knows what it's doing or said.

The comment was made in reference to the choir chanting a psalm not a congregation. I’d hate the tradition of psalm singing to completely disappear from our parish churches. Any machine that helps keep the choral tradition alive must be a good thing. Organists are such a rare breed today, if we’re not careful we will loose that tradition. :P