Mander Organ Builders Forum

We've Got Rhythm?"

MusingMuso

I remember Ena Baga, at the age of 84 play for a 2.3/4 hour silent film show at the National Film Theatre - mind you she did need a gin & tonic after it.

I also note that people who don't appreciate cinema organs usually can't play them or have very narrow musical tastes. Just because someone can't stand garlic it is not necessary to condem all cooking that uses it.

FF

=======================

I enjoyed the moment, when I listened to Ena Baga accompany a silent-film. Her improvised style was very definitely of a certain period, but I vividly recall almost "waking-up" about half-an-hour into the film. I wasn't "waking-up" as in "waking-up", but I was suddenly waking-up to the realisation that after the first five minutes of the silent-film, my ears and faculties had accepted the live, improvised organ-playing as if it were a soundtrack; so flawless was Ena Baga's mastery of her art.

Afterwards, I was talking to Ena Baga, and I expressed my appreciation, and without any prompting, she replied, "Well, my father always used to say, if a film is accompanied properly, the audience should be unaware of it".

That was exactly what she had achieved, then well into her 80's.

In the book "Bagatelle" by the late Tony Moss (Keystone publications), there are three splendid photographs, where Ena Baga is photographed in the company of a rather ferocious-looking Sir George Thalben-Ball, in the larger-than-life company of Carlo Curley and in the company of someone by the name of Frank Fowler.

It's a fascinating account, not only of a talented lady (with her equally talented sisters), but also a style of English-life which now seems long gone.

MM

I also note that people who don't appreciate cinema organs usually can't play them or have very narrow musical tastes. Just because someone can't stand garlic it is not necessary to condem all cooking that uses it.

FF

Well, certainly, I am not remotely interested in playing a cinema organ; but - narrow taste?

Not me!

Anything from plainchant to Metallica (excluding brass/silver bands, Country & Western, Rap, serial music, minimalist and anything by Sorabji; most other things are in).

In any case, as I believe Brian Childs has said, it would be a dull world if we all liked the same things....

:lol:

Well, certainly, I am not remotely interested in playing a cinema organ; but - narrow taste?

Not me!

Anything from plainchant to Metallica (excluding brass/silver bands, Country & Western, Rap, serial music, minimalist and anything by Sorabji; most other things are in).

In any case, as I believe Brian Childs has said, it would be a dull world if we all liked the same things....

How did you cope wth the "bat out of Helsinki" - Lordi - and some of the other acts on Eurovision the other night?

Rgds

MJF

Guest Andrew Butler
How did you cope wth the "bat out of Helsinki" - Lordi - and some of the other acts on Eurovision the other night?

Rgds

MJF

To hell with the music - this year's contest had some of the shortest skirts and best legs for years! :lol:

All of which reminds me, I saw an organ CD the other day - pretty rare at the edge of this desert, I must say - and almost bought it regardless of whether the young lady in question can play. A certain Iveta Apkalna. I dare not ask "is she any good" for fear of the misunderstandings my question might cause ... :lol:

Rgds,

MJF

All of which reminds me, I saw an organ CD the other day - pretty rare at the edge of this desert, I must say - and almost bought it regardless of whether the young lady in question can play.  A certain Iveta Apkalna.  I dare not ask "is she any good" for fear of the misunderstandings my question might cause ... :lol:

Rgds,

MJF

So she was fit, then?

(I do like to keep abreast of developments in the organ world.)

A certain Iveta Apkalna.  I dare not ask "is she any good" for fear of the misunderstandings my question might cause ... :lol:
She's been mentioned on this site before. I'd go and Google a picture to link, but at my age I have to watch my heart. She could make an old man very happy... :P

although I dare say there was as much for the eye as there was for the ear!
Anyone else get the impression the voting has more to do with the presentation than the actual "music"? I suppose this is inevitable when "music" itself is so carp (if you'll pardon me being koi).

Guest Barry Oakley

Out of curiosity I Googled Iveta Apkalna and came across a reference to her on an April 2006 BBC Radio3 programme webpage. They were playing some of her recordings, but you've probably guessed it that they occured in the middle of the night. Typical BBC!

Typical BBC!
What's typical is that it was probably nothing to do with the BBC at all. As I understand it, "Through the Night" is a compilation of music provided by European stations, so it's thanks to broadcasters in Europe, not the Beeb, when we get to hear organ music!

But I'm more than happy to fall asleep to the soothings - or even the boisterous gymnastics - of Ms Apkalna. :lol:

Not me!

===========================

I'm just flabbergasted..............

How can anyone not enjoy Dolly Parton?

She came up with some of the biggest hits of all time!

MM

Guest Andrew Butler
===========================

I'm just flabbergasted..............

How can anyone not enjoy Dolly Parton?

She came up with some of the biggest hits of all time!

MM

:lol: Oh - HITS, sorry! :P