Mander Organ Builders Forum

Roger Yates

There has been some discussion of the organ in Kilkhampton PC under another topic. Can anyone tell us a little about Roger Yates? I know that he was involved in the early 60s work at Truro Cathedral and he also did some of the voicing on the St Michael's Newquay early 60s Nicholson which was destroyed by fire in the ten or so years ago. Did he work for any particular firm or was he an independent of some sort?

Martin.

There has been some discussion of the organ in Kilkhampton PC under another topic. Can anyone tell us a little about Roger Yates? I know that he was involved in the early 60s work at Truro Cathedral and he also did some of the voicing on the St Michael's Newquay early 60s Nicholson which was destroyed by fire in the ten or so years ago. Did he work for any particular firm or was he an independent of some sort?

Martin.

From the BIOS Reporter of 1992: "There is also a question over the dates of Roger Yates's organ building activities - a pity, for he was an excellent craftsman who always produced organs of musical integrity, and who played an important part in keeping a classical spirit alive in the darkest days. The 'New Grove' Organ off-print supplies the remarkable answer: he formed his own business in 1927 and died (still working) in l975".

In the book Pipes & Actions by Laurence Elvin, there is a section concerning Roger Yates (pp. 240 - 255).

If you are unable to locate a copy, please contact me and I will be happy to give you details of his life and work.

Eek! Pipes and Action is £29+ so can I take up your offer of a few Yates details? I am especially interested in the Cornish stuff - how he came to be involved at Truro working with Dykes-Bower on the organ rebuild committee and then anything about Nicholsons and Newquay.

Eek! Pipes and Action is £29+ so can I take up your offer of a few Yates details? I am especially interested in the Cornish stuff - how he came to be involved at Truro working with Dykes-Bower on the organ rebuild committee and then anything about Nicholsons and Newquay.

Of course - send me a PM with any other requirements and I will dig out the information which you require.

In the book Pipes & Actions by Laurence Elvin, there is a section concerning Roger Yates (pp. 240 - 255).

If you are unable to locate a copy, please contact me and I will be happy to give you details of his life and work.

Sorry - a bit of self publicity - please see Organist's Review, November 1993 p 307 following. I can supply a copy if needs be but as it was not done on a pc it will have to be a photocopy. the result of quite a lot of research - one or two small mistakes discovered since but there is as much as Elvin found.

AJJ

I also did a piece on Newquay for 'The Organ' - in its former manifestation I hasten to add not the journal as it is now! I can not remember the exact date and all my copies are boxed up while the builders are here but could find a copy if necessary too.

Sorry - a bit of self publicity - please see Organist's Review, November 1993 p 307 following. I can supply a copy if needs be but as it was not done on a pc it will have to be a photocopy. the result of quite a lot of research - one or two small mistakes discovered since but there is as much as Elvin found.

AJJ

I also did a piece on Newquay for 'The Organ' - in its former manifestation I hasten to add not the journal as it is now! I can not remember the exact date and all my copies are boxed up while the builders are here but could find a copy if necessary too.

Alastair, if you can find it without major upheval, I would be interested in the article on the Newquay organ, please!