Mander Organ Builders Forum

Best Ways To Fuse A Clavinova?

Guest delvin146

==================

Oh crumbs and hassocks!

I've obviously been getting it wrong for years.

I quite like "The lord of the dance"....but then...I would, wouldn't I?

;)

MM

=================

Replying to my own post, I was reminded of a delicious description of a tracker-action organ, which brings the whole thing back on topic.

A young Norwegian organist described one organ thus:-

"The action is very old. Everything I play sounds like "River Dance"

I've chuckled many a time about that since.

:blink:

MM

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Roffensis
=================

Replying to my own post, I was reminded of a delicious description of a tracker-action organ, which brings the whole thing back on topic.

A young Norwegian organist described one organ thus:-

"The action is very old. Everything I play sounds like "River Dance"

I've chuckled many a time about that since.

:blink:

MM

It certainly gets boring all the religious arguments, clergy rarely listen to us anyway, and this site is about organs, or should be.

R

It certainly gets boring all the religious arguments, clergy rarely listen to us anyway, and this site is about organs, or should be.

R

Well yes, but then the majority of organs discussed on the board are situated in churches and cathedrals?

===================

Do you mean like the "All Polish Youth" movement " Młodzież Wszechpolska?"

They're all good catholic boys who go to Mass on Sunday, who just happen to wear black-hoods and go around beating up homosexuals and disrupting peaceful demonstrations.

You'd have thought that the Poles had learned their lesson after the last neo-fascist occupation......6,000,000 dead was it? (Half of them Jewish)

Thank God for the new Polish Prime Minister.....thank God I can't spell his name!!

MM

God - this is incredible, MM! I know about the current trends in parts of Germany and South Africa, regarding the resurgence of Fascism, etc - but this?!

How distinctly un-Christian....

Well yes, but then the majority of organs discussed on the board are situated in churches and cathedrals?

Yep. And we mostly have to work in 'em. Of course the clergy don't listen to us - how much attention to we pay them when they attempt to discuss the finer points of musicianship? I recall once, some while ago, finishing off a pretty respectable improvisation, with a beginning, middle and end, which had a tune that went somewhere and did something, to be told - "your name's not ******* Tournemire, you know!" Yeah, cheers, thanks a lot.

As someone who's basically a left-wing-ish atheist with a strong keenness to become a better person and where possible stop other people doing horrible things, I stay well out of theology but take an interest in the moral and political arguments around the periphery. Fortunately, at my current post, all the clergy are at least vaguely (in some cases extremely) musical and take a similar sort of back-seat interest in the music without trying to lay down the law about things that aren't their main professional interest. This is a two way street. The sooner we get back to fusing clavinovas the better.

Polish it up and put it in the Free Ads. When someone then turns up at the church with a wad of notes and says "here's the money, do you want it?" the odds are the Clavinova won't be bothering you again.

As someone who's basically a left-wing-ish atheist with a strong keenness to become a better person and where possible stop other people doing horrible things, I stay well out of theology but take an interest in the moral and political arguments around the periphery.  Fortunately, at my current post, all the clergy are at least vaguely (in some cases extremely) musical and take a similar sort of back-seat interest in the music without trying to lay down the law about things that aren't their main professional interest.  This is a two way street.  The sooner we get back to fusing clavinovas the better.

You have a valid point, David - sorry, Charles.

Theological discussions could well cause even more dissention and unhappiness than arguing about wind-pressures, etc.

In any case, I doubt that contributors to theological discussion-boards spend time agonising over Solid-State switching or the best scheme of breaks for a IV-rank quint mixture.

Do you seriously think that's going to fill our churches?  :P

The 20th Century Light Church Music Group significantly failed, too...

the only thing I've ever seen FILL a church is an intelligent, spiritual preacher with catholic tastes and a love of traditional hymnody, who had something interesting to say and knew how to do so in under four minutes. This applies notably to two places; The United Church, Trowbridge, under Rev Gerald Stoddern (now retired to the SW) who used to get a full church every week and of course Romsey, where the regular AM congregation is in the order of 4-500 ish and around 80-120 for evensong (more when it's choral). I sense you can dick around with music and comfy chairs all you like, but if the right mix of social and spiritual enlightenment is missing from the leadership, you may as well save your energy.

God - this is incredible, MM! I know about the current trends in parts of Germany and South Africa, regarding the resurgence of Fascism, etc - but this?!

How distinctly un-Christian....

=================

It's not incredible at all; merely the "storm troop" manifestation of Polish nationalistic vigour "youth style" and manipulated by people who would control the future agenda of a rapidly emerging European country which seeks to establish a Polish identity and sense of purpose.

That's what neo-facism is all about, and incredible though my attitude may sound, I don't regard it as ALL bad by any means, unless one happens to be on the wrong side of the tracks.

It's easy to be alarmist, but the truth is, European law CAN intervene to limit the more unfortunate aspects of this new nationalism, and in any event, the young Poles are actually rather nice for the most part; certainly in my experience of working with many of them.

There are many, many young Poles who would not dream of playing into the hands of neo-fascists, and they are perhaps a better indication of the potential future for these rather decent, hard-working people.

From an organist's perspective, the fact that Poland is strongly Catholic and emerging and more prosperous as time goes by, means that they are getting some rather fabulous new organs and actually importing quite a few second-hand ones from the UK and elsewhere.

There is one good thing about strong Catholicism. If things threaten to get out of hand, it only takes a few words from the Pope, and I suspect that Ratzinger is no fool when it comes to the politics of religion and the importance of human-rights.

Unfortunately for the Poles, the loss of John Paul II has meant that they have lost some degree of national focus and "solidarnosk," and filling that gap will not be easy; especially with a German Pope now at the helm of their national religion. The old folk detest the Germans and the young ones detest the atheistic Russians!!

I'm a bit suprised that no one has yet commented on the absolutely fantastic sound of that Kaminschi organ at St.Peter & St.Paul, Warsaw under the topic of "A major discovery? Marian Sawa."

MM

=================

It's not incredible at all; merely the "storm troop" manifestation of Polish nationalistic vigour "youth style" and manipulated by people who would control the future agenda of a rapidly emerging European country which seeks to establish a Polish identity and sense of purpose.

MM

I guess exactly the same could be said of our own dear North of England, or those areas which are busily electing Nazi councillors?

Guest Lee Blick
Hire a stripper - then you can fill the place with teenage boys and dykes.

Probably the only way to fill a church nowadays :P

==========================

I really can't let this one pass without a challenge Tony!

The whole religious concept of "Satan" has changed meaning several times since the 'Tanakh', at which point "Satan" was regarded merely as  "the accuser" who acted as the prosecuting attorney in God's heavenly court.

In Jewish Rabbinic literature, Satan was not seen as an independent entity, which surfaces only in 11th century Jewish commentary, when Rabbi Saadia Gaon referred to Satan as being simply a human being who resented the righteousness of Job.

There is  only one reference to 'Satan' in the Hebrew Apocrypha, as the 'bringer of lies (deceit)", and this is the source of the name "Satan" as we would understand it.

In reality, the concept of Satan as an independent entity and "bringer of evil" is largely confined to Christianty, and especially the theological "Satan" several centuries removed from the origins of original Christianity.

Whilst acknowledging that Genesis 3:15 could be constructed as the earliest reference to God crushing the head of the serpent, (which introduced the "tree of knowledge") it is only in Romans 16:20 where this is reconstructed as "the God of peace crushing Satan underfoot".

In Eastern Orthodoxy, "Satan" is merely seen as "an enemy" of humanity.

In Christian Eschatology, Satan enters into final conflict with God.

Other Christian tehologians claim that God will finally triumph over Satan, and that Satan will "turn good" again.

Fundamentalists love to quote the book of Daniel, and refer to the battle of Armageddon.

Only medieval Christians could equate Satan with a creature growing large horns and with a goat's rear end and forked-tail, and only in the witch-hunts could the harmless, eccentric, poor, simple women of Pendle ("the Pendle Witches") be hanged by their accusers, whilst others were tortured under the regime of Matthew Hopkins or sentenced to death on the grounds that "they could be seen to fly" or "fill pillows with enchanted feathers".  Even poor little moggies didn't escape "trial by jury".

Wiccan beliefs (such as they are) owe far more to "Pan" than "Satan", and any horns would therefore be little ones like cows have.

I'm sorry, but the concept of "Satan" is yet another example of religion using the dialectic argument to its own purposes, by creating the falsehood of duality. In "changing hearts and minds" the imagery of "good and evil", "right and wrong", "black and white" or even "democracy versus evil" are seldom far away, and as God knows, all the best Christians immediately respond by raising their crosses and loading their weapons.

I suppose that there is a delicious irony inherent in the fact that a "good" man

will often resort to questioning the intentions of the"liberal thinker," and only a "liberal thinker" could possibly question the motives of a "good man."

Interestingly, one of the most beautiful things I have read recently was actually Wiccan in origin (Jamaican in fact!) and one of the most uplifting things I heard on radio over the past year, was the wonderful old judge who single-handedly brought the trials of witches to an end, and to the memory of whom is erected a plaque in Gloucester Cathedral.

But he was a jolly man "who laughed 'til he cried" very often.

MM

Hi

I don't know where you get your info from - but I suggest you check the Bible before making statements that can't be substantiated. Satan is named in the Old Testament (1 Chron & Job for a start) and in the New Testament - Jesus addresses him by name in the temptation episode, so don't try and pretend that he's a later accretion. I'd rather accept what God says - anything else could be rather uncomfoprtable on judgement day! Evil is real. If Satan doesn't exist and there's no power of evil, then the whole basis of religion disappears.

Every Blessing

TOny

Guest delvin146
Hi

I don't know where you get your info from - but I suggest you check the Bible before making statements that can't be substantiated.  Satan is named in the Old Testament (1 Chron & Job for a start) and in the New Testament - Jesus addresses him by name in the temptation episode, so don't try and pretend that he's a later accretion.  I'd rather accept what God says - anything else could be rather uncomfoprtable on judgement day!  Evil is real.  If Satan doesn't exist and there's no power of evil, then the whole basis of religion disappears.

Every Blessing

TOny

Ah right. So EVIL God will punish on judgement day. Strange that I thought he was supposed to be all-loving in character. Evangelicals do love to preach all this fire and brimstone evil God though. I think there's quite a few people that would not like to worship an evil God.

Anyway, back to fusing clavinovas.

Guest Roffensis
Hi

I don't know where you get your info from - but I suggest you check the Bible before making statements that can't be substantiated.  Satan is named in the Old Testament (1 Chron & Job for a start) and in the New Testament - Jesus addresses him by name in the temptation episode, so don't try and pretend that he's a later accretion.  I'd rather accept what God says - anything else could be rather uncomfoprtable on judgement day!  Evil is real.  If Satan doesn't exist and there's no power of evil, then the whole basis of religion disappears.

Every Blessing

TOny

And some clergy are very evil. It's certainly out there. I don't mean anyone in particular, it's just an observation from several I have had to suffer. Wolves in sheeps clothing as it says.

All best,

R

Hi

Every Blessing

TOny

=========================

Which Bible?

What translation?

Assuming that most Bibles are broadly similar, there are quite a few references which you missed:-

1 Kings 5:4; 11:14, 23, 25

Psalm 109:6

Job 1:7

II Sam. 24:1

I Sam. 16:14

I Kings 22:22

Isa. 45:7

Job 1:6

Jam 4:4 Rom 6:6

1 Thess 4:17

Rev 20:1-3

Rev 21:1-4

Gen 1:31

Isa. 14:4, 12

Gen 3:1, 4, 5

However, the "devil" or "satan" HAS changed meaning many times whether you like it or not; so one chooses the Satan which is most appropriate to one's own personal sense of guilt/morality/evil, presumably.

In fact, not even "evil" is an appropriate word to associate with the word "Satan."

So carefully choosing my own personal Satan from a long list of possible options, I think I'll go for the Gnostic "Lucifer".....the one who brings light and knowledge.

Guilty as charged!!

As for the "Day of Judgement" I can see myself getting into quite an argument, and if he is willing to accept my brief, I think I will call upon Satan to be my advocate.

MM

Guest Lee Blick

I found the backbiting over the years amongst catholics and evangelicals disgusting. It is no wonder the church is falling apart. When you have Christians fighting each other and denying each other's faith, it is no wonder society regards Christianity with suspicion and scepticism.

I, for one, am glad not to be part of that institution any longer. :D

Guest delvin146
I found the backbiting over the years amongst catholics and evangelicals disgusting.  It is no wonder the church is falling apart.  When you have Christians fighting each other and denying each other's faith, it is no wonder society regards Christianity with suspicion and scepticism.

I, for one, am glad not to be part of that institution any longer.  :D

Middle ground is usually so much nicer, and I think you are absolutely right!

Guest delvin146

Autopriest

J. Simon

Autopriest v3.5 Release DELAYED

Officials representing the joint McChurch/MicroSoul project to make forgiveness of sins available to the public at affordable prices have again been delayed due to a combination of software and hardware problems.

"It was frustrating," said beta-tester Azreth Coleman. "I drove up to the plastic jesus-head, made my confession, and drove up to the window. I'd ordered a Seven-Deadly Sins Seven-In-One Forgiveness Dispenser -- You just can't beat that deal! -- But all I got was a crummy Angel-Gabriel Action Figure. Sure, it's fun to pull the string and watch him Smite innocent passersby, but I do not feel spiritually satisfied. Hell, the "bless-you" light didn't even flash!"

Numerous complaints have also been lodged against the stationary units (many of which are disguised to look like Tyme machines). Most notably, the sin-parser has not yet been debugged, causing one young woman's confession of "impure thoughts" to be interpreted as "Worshipping the sacred cow-god. All kneel before the all- holy guernsey. Moo! Moo!"

Finally, the Vatican today announced that it would not condone any Autopriest using software written by a female programmer. "We are concerned that widespread Autopriest use may lead our followers to believe that females are human beings. Such gross impiety will not be condoned by the Vatican."

Officials outside the McChurch/MicroSoul organization also want to make sure that the AutoPriest v3.5 will not supplant the enormously succesful Zealotry for Windows v3.4 which has already posted over 34,000 YOU WILL BURN IN HELL messages to the internet.

Despite such concerns, the release date for Autopriest v3.5 has been set for February 24, 1995. Project director Kent Donovan noted, "We are infallible. We say that AP-35 was released several months ago, and therefore it was. Do not question the ways of MicroSoul. Moo."

- Lars Bacteriophage