Mander Organ Builders Forum

Pedal Stop Query

mrbouffant

I was conversing with a colleague about an instrument with a Quint (5 1/3) stop on the Pedal. He asked me how useful such a stop might be, and I said "not much".. Am I being too dismissive? The organ in question is II/25 and the Quint apart, typically English...

I was conversing with a colleague about an instrument with a Quint (5 1/3) stop on the Pedal. He asked me how useful such a stop might be, and I said "not much".. Am I being too dismissive? The organ in question is II/25 and the Quint apart, typically English...

Possibly - it all depends on the scaling and voicing. The quint can under some circumstances help create a useful 16' "Pedal Violone" tone. Bourdon 16', Metal 8' (if you have one or if not couple one down for experimental purposes) and Quint. Not guaranteed but worth playing around with to see what happens.

Please report back.

FF

Guest Andrew Butler
Possibly - it all depends on the scaling and voicing. The quint can under some circumstances help create a useful 16' "Pedal Violone" tone. Bourdon 16', Metal 8' (if you have one or if not couple one down for experimental purposes) and Quint. Not guaranteed but worth playing around with to see what happens.

Please report back.

FF

Would it not serve the same purpose in a 16' chorus as a 12th in an 8' chorus?

Guest Andrew Butler
It depends if you have a properly designed and scaled pedal organ - often they seem to be a collection of overscaled pipes.

FF

Presumably this example http://npor.emma.cam.ac.uk/cgi-bin/Rsearch...ec_index=D04989 would indicate chorus use as there is already a Violone.

A related question: can a Quint 10.2/3 on the pedal serve the same chorus purpose in a 32' chorus as a 5.1/3 in a 16' manual chorus - or can it only be used to produce a resultant 32'?

I used to know an organist (now deceased) who frequently "Quinted" with both feet the last pedal note of a piece to produce a resultant 32' in the absence of a Quint stop or a real 32'. (The problem was obviously that if coupled through he got an 8' 5th on the manual bass as well. I sometimes do it with an uncoupled 16' if appropriate, and it can work on some organs.

Salicional + nazard can sometimes synthesize an orchestral oboe, apparently.

• 2 weeks later...
Presumably this example http://npor.emma.cam.ac.uk/cgi-bin/Rsearch...ec_index=D04989 would indicate chorus use as there is already a Violone.

A related question: can a Quint 10.2/3 on the pedal serve the same chorus purpose in a 32' chorus as a 5.1/3 in a 16' manual chorus - or can it only be used to produce a resultant 32'?

I used to know an organist (now deceased) who frequently "Quinted" with both feet the last pedal note of a piece to produce a resultant 32' in the absence of a Quint stop or a real 32'.  (The problem was obviously that if coupled through he got an 8' 5th on the manual bass as well. I sometimes do it with an uncoupled 16' if appropriate, and it can work on some organs. 

Salicional + nazard can sometimes synthesize an orchestral oboe, apparently.

I've seen an organist quint an entire fugal entry in a Reger Fugue with both feet in this manner on full organ. It worked - almost - but the effect was really quite coarse. I find the 32' bass cornet trick mentioned in a few places on this forum much more effective.

My own church instrument has a 5 1/3p quint on the Pedal Organ and, yes, it is fairly pointless. I would still prefer it to be wired off the Bourdon (its parent rank) an octave below. Unfortunately with the old electro-mechanical switching which we have, this is just not easy to achieve.