Mander Organ Builders Forum

St Annes Limehouse

JJK

Was anyone else at the opening recital last Saturday? I thought Thomas Trotter was excellent, and the instrument sounded wonderful - especially those Gt and Ped reeds which were wisely reserved for the Widor 5 first mvmt. The latter was a tour de force, considering the lack of registration aids (apart from the two assistants!)

JJK

Was anyone else at the opening recital last Saturday? I thought Thomas Trotter was excellent, and the instrument sounded wonderful - especially those Gt and Ped reeds which were wisely reserved for the Widor 5 first mvmt. The latter was a tour de force, considering the lack of registration aids (apart from the two assistants!)

JJK

Yes and wasn't also the difference between the dynamic level of the chorus with and without those reeds quite marked. I had forgotten how relatively p to mf the flue work actually is. Or maybe it was just that I was nearly under one of the side balconies so heard things from a strange perspective.

AJJ

Yes and wasn't also the difference between the dynamic level of the chorus with and without those reeds quite marked. I had forgotten how relatively p to mf the flue work actually is. Or maybe it was just that I was nearly under one of the side balconies so heard things from a strange perspective.

AJJ

Yes, and what a heartening and worthwhile occasion it was. TTs playing and choice of pieces was exemplary and Bill Drake's achievement in bringing this wonderful instrument back to health is an object lesson in sensitive historic restoration. It's 15 years since I last heard or played the organ, but it was all worth waiting for.

Let's hope the church appreciates what a treasure it has and doesn't ruin everything by laying wall-to-wall carpet in the proposed re-ordering of the building. Let's also hope it makes creative use of the organ in its worship. That said, I have a sinking feeling it will be regarded as little more as a hymn machine, a second best to synthesiser and drums.

Nevertheless, Saturday was an absolutely splendid occasion.

JS