Mander Organ Builders Forum

Obscure Hymn

Guest Andrew Butler

Can anyone suggest where I might find the tune for the following please?  request received from a parishioner...

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/o/o098.html :o

Find out what the meter of the hymn is (no idea how to do it if it’s not printed with it) and find a tune with an identical meter. This is probably little help, but you never know. I don’t find the words overly inspiring, but we don’t all like the same stuff. :P

Guest Andrew Butler

Didn't phrase the question very well.

Were we going to sing it, I could find many a DCM tune.

A congregant (?) remembers it from his boyhood and would like a a copy of the tune he knew for his personal use. He heard it on a recording in the 1920/30's

A congregant (?) remembers it from his boyhood and would like a a copy of the tune he knew for his personal use. He heard it on a recording in the 1920/30's

Anything more specific than that? Who sang it, who recorded it, who wrote the words etc? :P

Didn't phrase the question very well.

Were we going to sing it, I could find many a DCM tune.

Andrew - having seen your posting on another forum that it was a boy singing it, have you thought of trawling throught the Better Land series of recordings? It may well be on there somewhere. Roffensis may be able to advise....

Guest Andrew Butler
Andrew - having seen your posting on another forum that it was a boy singing it, have you thought of trawling throught the Better Land series of recordings? It may well be on there somewhere. Roffensis may be able to advise....

Thanks for suggestion. have done a search there but found nothing. Will PM Roffensis.

Guest Roffensis
Thanks for suggestion. have done a search there but found nothing. Will PM Roffensis.

Not heard of it sorry, but any similar metre tune would so surely? what is it, 8686D or something of that ilk, unless the fee is £1000 and a free holiday in Venice, I'd just use another tune. Can't they sing the tune to you? if not, chances are they have forgotten it!...... ;)

Richard

Guest Andrew Butler
Not heard of it sorry, but any similar metre tune would so surely? what is it, 8686D or something of that ilk, unless the fee is £1000 and a free holiday in Venice, I'd just use another tune. Can't they sing the tune to you? if not, chances are they have forgotten it!...... ;)

Richard

Thanks for trying - they're not expecting me to play it; the person inquestion wants to just get hold of the music and/or recording for nostalgic reasons. I do realize that any CMD tune would fit were it going to be sung in a service (heaven forfend!)

Correspondence closed unless anyone has a brainwave!

Can anyone suggest where I might find the tune for the following please?  request received from a parishioner...

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/o/o098.html ;)

Hi

It looks to me like the sort of children's hymn that could be lurking in "Golden Bells" or something similar from that era. Sorry - I don't have a copy in my collection of old hymn books.

There is a tune called David in several books - but it's the wrong metre for these words. Have fun!

Every Blessing

Tony

Guest Andrew Butler
Find out what the meter of the hymn is (no idea how to do it if it’s not printed with it)

Simply count the syllables in each line. This example would be 8.6.8.6.8.6.8.6 usually known as Double Common Metre.

8.6.8.6 is Common Metre

8.8.8.8 is Long Metre

6.6.8.6 is Short Metre

Well found indeed!

Tune, words and era match perfectly, as does the hymn's position in the 'For the Young' part of A&M Revised.

I'm surprised I got through prep school without having to sing it!