Mander Organ Builders Forum

St John's College Oxford

AJJ

I hear from a reliable source that Bernard Aubertin is to build a new organ for St John's College, Oxford - 'picture of case to follow when I can work out how to get it onto here (can anyone help please? - I have a pdf. version)

'Should be good - and nice to have one a bit closer than Aberdeen or Paris!

AJJ

I Positive

Bourdon (Wood) 8

Flûte Allemande 8

Principal 4

Flûte à cheminée 4

Nazard 2-2/3

Flageolet 2

Tierce 1-3/5

Mixture III

Voix humaine 8

II Great

Portunal 16

Montre 8

Gambe 8

Bourdon (Metal) 8

Principal 4

Octave 2

Mixture IV-VI

Trompette 8

III Récit

Flûte Traversiére 8

Flûte 4

Cornet III

Quint 1-1/3

Enclosed

Dulciana 8

Unda maris 8

Salicet 4

Chalumeau B/T8

Pedale

Bourdon 16

Principal 8

Bourdon 8

Principal 4

Mixture III

Buzéne 16

Sacqueboute 8

I/II III/II II/III

Tremblant

Appel Buzène 16’

I hear from a reliable source that Bernard Aubertin is to build a new organ for St John's College, Oxford - 'picture of case to follow when I can work out how to get it onto here (can anyone help please? - I have a pdf. version)

AJJ

Pedale

Bourdon  16

Principal  8

Bourdon  8

Principal  4

Mixture  III

Buzéne  16

Sacqueboute  8

I/II      III/II      II/III

Tremblant

Appel Buzène 16’

No pedal couplers?

Guest paul@trinitymusic.karoo.co.uk
No pedal couplers?

Does anyone know what will happen to the (then) redundant H&H two-manual rebuilt/modified in the 70's by HN&B?

AJJ

I Positive

Excellent news! This should be a marvellous addition to the varied portfolio of organs in the University. St John's is just about the last college to get a decent organ: perhaps the fact that the President is an ARCO may have helped.

This organ was announced as being entirely hand-blown, apparently as a suitably 2-fingered gesture to the EC's handling of the 'lead in organs' farce. I imagine the college will now feel safe in installing the electric blower that was probably always 'prepared for' in any case.

Incidentally, I think this is the first time Aubertin has ever built an enclosed Récit, even if only partly so.

JS

Excellent news!  This should be a marvellous addition to the varied portfolio of organs in the University.  St John's is just about the last college to get a decent organ: perhaps the fact that  the President is an ARCO may have helped.

JS

He's ordered a one manual instrument from Aubertin also which will reside in the chapel till he retires.

AJJ

• 2 weeks later...
Ah well - you cannot expect him to get everything right.

The pipes will probably just be used to screen a choir vestry or something....

:lol:

Well, it's surely more appropriate as a foil for the undulant than a romantic string?

I understood Bill Drake was instrumental in Aubertin getting the contract for this one. Apparently they approached him first, but weren't prepared to wait until 2012. It does seem that after a flurry of new instruments in the late 80's/early 90's, we could be set for another raft of fine musical instruments - St Mary Mag, and now this!

And no, it's far from the last college to get a decent instrument. There are dozens of dreary horrible little heaps scattered about, plus the bizarre neo-baroque constructions like my old thing at St Edmund Hall upon which I was compelled to play Howells on a weekly basis. If it weren't for the voicers making the best of a peculiar brief, it'd definitely be one for the worst organ thread.

AJJ

I Positive

Bourdon (Wood) 8

Flûte Allemande 8

Principal  4

Flûte à cheminée 4

Nazard  2-2/3

Flageolet  2

Tierce  1-3/5

Mixture  III

Voix humaine  8

II Great

Portunal  16

Montre  8

Gambe  8

Bourdon (Metal) 8

Principal  4

Octave  2

Mixture  IV-VI

Trompette 8

III Récit

Flûte Traversiére 8

Flûte  4

Cornet  III

Quint  1-1/3

Enclosed

Dulciana  8

Unda maris  8

Salicet  4

Chalumeau  B/T8

Pedale

Bourdon  16

Principal  8

Bourdon  8

Principal  4

Mixture  III

Buzéne  16

Sacqueboute  8

I/II      III/II      II/III

Tremblant

Appel Buzène 16’

Yes this is true.  I have been pleased to be of assistance to this project in my old college.  Any drawing you may see was part of a proposal and may not quite be a final design.

Thanks for this info. DF67 and greetings too! - I think I may have sung for you a few years ago!

AJJ

Guest Nigel ALLCOAT
No; he usually encloses the Voix humaine in a little Swellbox.

Pierre

Not a Swell box as we all know with a balanced pedal these days, but a little Aubertinesque lid that rises and falls over the pips activated by a lever for the right foot. Eg.'s St Martin, Vertus et St Catherine, Bitche.

Best wishes,

NJA

Guest Nigel ALLCOAT
No pedal couplers?

GO- Ped

Yesterday Bernard was given a Doctorate by the University of Aberdeen. The first such honour in these shores to an organ builder from across the seas or at home?

NJA

GO- Ped

Yesterday Bernard was given a Doctorate by the University of Aberdeen. The first such honour in these shores to an organ builder from across the seas or at home?

NJA

And well deserved too - 'should happen more often!

AJJ