Mander Organ Builders Forum

St John Islington Recital

David Coram

Dame G of W, St John the Evangelist, Duncan Terrace, Islington

Any other board members going?

Never heard this organ live yet, and as a Londoner, I should really. But I'll be giving this Saturday a miss as DGWs undoubtedly superb playing seems to always put my teeth on edge. My dentist has now forbidden me from going to any of her recitals and is even threatening a house visit to do a spot check on my CD collection. Never mind. I'll probably pop along to Duncan Terrace on 29 July when ....... now, let me see who is playing .............. oh, really! B)

Never heard this organ live yet, and as a Londoner, I should really. But I'll be giving this Saturday a miss as DGWs undoubtedly superb playing seems to always put my teeth on edge. My dentist has now forbidden me from going to any of her recitals and is even threatening a house visit to do a spot check on my CD collection. Never mind. I'll probably pop along to Duncan Terrace on 29 July when ....... now, let me see who is playing .............. oh, really!  B)

Do come and say hello, Jeremy....I might even buy you a pint! B) indeed......

Well, the Bach, Dandrieu and Alain were compelling. The Dupre worked surprsingly well but less so the Franck. I do have a little quibble with the programme. I prefer recitals to be 60-75 min without interval and to include one significant work of length. Slightly disappointing that a full length recital should include no such work at the expense of two items (Schitzner and Pierne) that were below the salt.

A well produced programme and a glass of wine (£1) made for an enjoyable evening.

Well, the Bach, Dandrieu and Alain were compelling. The Dupre worked surprsingly well but less so the Franck. I do have a little quibble with the programme. I prefer recitals to be 60-75 min without interval and to include one significant work of length. Slightly disappointing that a full length recital should include no such work at the expense of two items (Schitzner and Pierne) that were below the salt.

A well produced programme and a glass of wine (£1) made for an enjoyable evening.

I was gutted not to be able to make it. Might have to see if I can make July 29th. Glad it went well and the poor old Dame isn't coming in for the same lambasting as she did after the RAH...