Mander Organ Builders Forum

From Rags To Stitches

MusingMuso

Now, prepare yourselves for this!

You will never (hopefully) have heard anything quite like this before.

I'm not entirely sure where the organ is, or by whom it was built, except that it's somewhere in Poland and obviously very, very old.

I am reminded of the story told by Noel Rawsthorne, about performing in Russia.

The organ at a concert-hall started giving problems, and someone was dispatched to find the tuner, who was found slumped in a near coma in the basement, with an empty bottle of vodka by his side.

Could this be the same tuner?

As I say....prepare yourselves!

http://www.zbigniewkozub.com/mp3.htm

Then scroll down to:-

Rag-Organ-Reparation-Time

Elżbieta Karolak - organy

:blink:

MM

Guest paul@trinitymusic.karoo.co.uk

I'm not entirely sure where the organ is, or by whom it was built, except that it's somewhere in Poland and obviously very, very old.

The organ at a concert-hall started giving problems, and someone was dispatched to find the tuner, who was found slumped in a near coma in the basement, with an empty bottle of vodka by his side.

MM

I love it! I want a copy - please MM, can you find us the publisher details (with all your Eastern Block contacts)?

Sorry to spoil the fun, I think this is played on an organ in pretty decent order - listen to the reed stop! I think the out-of-tune flavour is deliberately provided by an occasional stop not fully drawn out. At the opening for instance, I guess that would be a Sesquialtera.

I love it!  I want a copy - please MM, can you find us the publisher details (with all your Eastern Block contacts)?

Sorry to spoil the fun, I think this is played on an organ in pretty decent order - listen to the reed stop! I think the out-of-tune flavour is deliberately provided by an occasional stop not fully drawn out. At the opening for instance, I guess that would be a Sesquialtera.

============

I'm not sure, but I think this may the German lady who improvises jazz brilliantly on the pipe-organ.

I'll have a bit of a dig.

I think Paul is quite right about the half-drawn stops....an astute observation.

MM

MM

Oh dear......but is it perhaps tuned to some obscure temperament?

AJJ

I love it!  I want a copy - please MM, can you find us the publisher details (with all your Eastern Block contacts)?

================

Well, I dug about a bit and came up with a little more information.

There are possibly two sources for further investigation.

The "Rag" is written by a contemporary Polish composer, Zbigniew Kozub.

On the sample I supplied, Elzbieta Karolak is the organist, and she teaches at the Poznan Academy of Music and could, presumably, be contacted there.

www.amuz.edu.pl

I further discovered that the work has been recorded by Elzbieta Karolak at Sydney Opera House, but I'm not sure if this is the organ heard on the link I supplied. It may well be!

I haven't been able to discover a specific publisher, but I suspect that they aren't quite so internet savvy as the rest of Europe.

I think it's worth dropping a line to either the composer or the organist.

MM

Guest Lee Blick

The fact it sounds out of tune, isnt it supposed to be deliberate to create a sort of 'honky-tonk' sound? :lol::blink:

Could it be, we have an example of the renowned " Jägermeister III " temperature here?

====================

I don't know about "Jagermeister III," but I think "Rags to stitches" might qualify for the renowned "Jaegermeister".

It's probably best not to get too tangled up in this sort of thing or we may end up with a very long thread.

MM