Mander Organ Builders Forum

Brandenburg Concertos Arranged For Organ?

innate

I have been asked to play the first movement from Brandenburg 5 at a service. A quick google hasn't shown anything useful. Is anyone aware of an arrangement of Brandenburg 5 for organ? I have to say that I suspect that even if one exists it will probably be by Reger and be unplayable by mortals. Thanks in advance for any help.

Michael

I have been asked to play the first movement from Brandenburg 5 at a service. A quick google hasn't shown anything useful. Is anyone aware of an arrangement of Brandenburg 5 for organ? I have to say that I suspect that even if one exists it will probably be by Reger and be unplayable by mortals. Thanks in advance for any help.
This reminds me (as if I need any reminding) just why I hate weddings so much. People just don't think, do they? Probably the best thing would be to arrange it for organ and clavinova. :D I don't know of an organ-only arrangement, but I would have thought you could get away reasonably well with just playing the organ part and filling in the orchestral ritornelli?

This reminds me (as if I need any reminding) just why I hate weddings somuch. People just don't think, do they? Probably the best thing would be to arrange it for organ and clavinova.  :D  I don't know of an organ-only arrangement, but I would have thought you could get away reasonably well with just playing the organ part and filling in the orchestral ritornelli?

I have been asked for a movement from Brandenburg 3. I informed the bride that I was not aware of an organ arrangement, but she quickly countered with, 'Don't worry, I've downloaded a piano arrangement'

This reminds me (as if I need any reminding) just why I hate weddings somuch. People just don't think, do they? Probably the best thing would be to arrange it for organ and clavinova.  :D  I don't know of an organ-only arrangement, but I would have thought you could get away reasonably well with just playing the organ part and filling in the orchestral ritornelli?

Thanks for the support, vox! Actually it isn't a wedding, but a post-funeral memorial and I'm happy to oblige if I can. I have just played it through on the piano from the score and your suggestion will do as a last resort; sometimes the harpsichord rh is less convincing than the flute/violin stuff on its own. I'm gonna need a page-turner :D

Thanks for the support, vox! Actually it isn't a wedding, but a post-funeral memorial and I'm happy to oblige if I can. I have just played it through on the piano from the score and your suggestion will do as a last resort; sometimes the harpsichord rh is less convincing than the flute/violin stuff on its own. I'm gonna need a page-turner :D

May I make a suggestion which might not at first be one you want to hear, but perhaps you might consider.

I take the view that when people ask for things like this they really want the real thing and not some cod version for the organ.

Also, frankly speaking it's a terrible imposition on your time and Brandenburg 5 isn't ever going to be straightforward - to play it well would take hours of hard work and you won't have that for a funeral in a few days time. So the first thing is I tell them exactly that - i.e. they couldn't afford to pay for the amount of time it would take me to learn, partly because, having learned it, I am unlikely to have any use for it in the future.

Usually at this point they make more reasonable and conventional choices - e.g. I would suggest organ music by Bach that could be of an equivalent style. You'll know what you can play.

Failing that if they really want that particular music and the clergy agree - it's usually some contemporary or pop/soul music in this instance - they just play a recording over the PA system or even on a portable sound system. It makes no difference to me and they are happy because they hear what they wanted in the version they are familiar with. You don't need to be enslaved to their requests, on the other hand one should try to provide what they want ,within reason for pastoral reasons.

remember - organ music isn't compulsory. And you should still get your fee. It's their choice. Be flexible.

Hope this helps.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Nigel ALLCOAT

Michael

I know somebody who has transcribed Brandenburg movements for 2 organs - a luxury, I know, but is a wow to hear.

best wishes,

NJA

I know somebody who has transcribed Brandenburg movements for 2 organs - a luxury, I know, but is a wow to hear.

best wishes,

NJA

Wow, myself having two organs that cán be played simultaneously, that would be something nice to have ...

Would like to now if the 'score' is "available" :lol:

May I make a suggestion which might not at first be one you want to hear, but perhaps you might consider.

I take the view that when people ask for things like this they really want the real thing and not some cod version for the organ.

Also, frankly speaking it's a terrible imposition on your time and Brandenburg 5 isn't ever going to be straightforward - to play it well would take hours of hard work and you won't have that for a funeral in a few days time. So the first thing is I tell them exactly that - i.e. they couldn't afford to pay for the amount of time it would take me to learn, partly because, having learned it, I am unlikely to have any use for it in the future.

Usually at this point they make more reasonable and conventional choices - e.g. I would suggest organ music by Bach that could be of an equivalent style. You'll know what you can play.

Failing that if they really want that particular music and the clergy agree - it's usually some contemporary or pop/soul music in this instance - they just play a recording over the PA system or even on a portable sound system. It makes no difference to me and they are happy because they hear what they wanted in the version they are familiar with. You don't need to be enslaved to their requests, on the other hand one should try to provide what they want ,within reason for pastoral reasons.

remember - organ music isn't compulsory. And you should still get your fee. It's their choice. Be flexible.

Hope this helps.

Belated thanks for the constructive suggestions. As it turned out, the clients had heard this particular movement played on the organ and as they were connected to professional musicians and were paying a very acceptable fee I determined to give them what they'd requested. I got hold of the Cembalo part and added in pencil, from the score, all the flute or violin parts where they were required. The result was much more effective than I would have imagined and a church full of Hampshire folk experienced something a little out of the ordinary! I should point out that I have played the harpsichord part in concert before so there were no insurmountable difficulties for me there.