Mander Organ Builders Forum

Associating With The Organ

MusingMuso

I wonder if anyone has ever listed the entire repertoire of works in which the organ plays a prominent or solo part.

A work such as the Janaceck "Glagolitic Mass" is an obvious contender, whilst the Handel Organ Concerti are some of the jewels in the baroque crown.

Interestingly, I stumbled across a recorded version of the "Finale" from the Guilmant 1st Symphony, which I normally associate with being an organ solo.

However, I seem to recall that it was also scored for organ & orchestra, but I had never heard this until now.

When heard in this form, the work seems to come alive.

Listen to the following (mistakes and all!) :-

http://www.laborantes.com/listening_stereo.htm

Scroll down for the Guilmant.

Another major personal discovery were the excellent "Organ Concertos" of the Czech Baroque composer Brixi, which must surely deserve to be better known.

What other organ combination works are we missing out on, I wonder?

Who knows or plays the Flor Peeter "Concerto for Piano and Organ?"

MM

I wonder if anyone has ever listed the entire repertoire of works in which the organ plays a prominent or solo part.

A work such as the Janaceck "Glagolitic Mass" is an obvious contender, whilst the Handel Organ Concerti are some of the jewels in the baroque crown.

Interestingly, I stumbled across a recorded version of the "Finale" from the Guilmant 1st Symphony, which I normally associate with being an organ solo.

However, I seem to recall that it was also scored for organ & orchestra, but I had never heard this until now.

Listen to the following (mistakes and all!) :-

http://www.laborantes.com/listening_stereo.htm   

Scroll down for the Guilmant.

Another major personal discovery were the excellent "Organ Concertos" of the Czech Baroque composer Brixi, which must surely deserve to be better known.

What other organ combination works are we missing out on, I wonder?

Who knows or plays the Flor Peeter "Concerto for Piano and Organ?"

MM

Hi

What about Holst's Duet for Trombone and Organ ( recording on Naxos 8.553716). I have a piano & trombone version of the score - one of these days my eldest son & I will play it.

Every Blessing

Tony

Indeed, I am a big fan of both Guilmant Organ Symphonies (Sonata 1 = Symphony 1 and Sonata 8 = Symphony 2) ... the second seems more symphonic somehow, that opening movement with the string appregios above the tune in the basses.. the cheeky scherzo.. the imposing double fugue in the finale.

Prof. Tracey has recorded both on Chandos and very nice they sound too, although the second Symphony is taken at a fearsome pace which one could never attempt to replicate if playing the solo Sonata!

I'd love to hear either (but especially the second) in a concert setting.. perhaps a prom? Some hope methinks..

Thought that Guilmant just a bit lacklustre?

I had a quick look on the net and found this:

http://pipedreams.publicradio.org/pdf/orch_rep_012006.pdf

A few additions to the list:

Brixi - 2 further concertos (Grove lists a total of 5; I've a recording of one of them on an old Turnabout LP - very enjoyable)

Widor - Salvum fac populum tuum (org + brass + percussion)

Peeters - Choral Fantasy on "Christ the Lord has Risen" (org + brass)

Derek Bourgeois - Concerto

Hakim - there's a third concerto

There's an enjoyable video of the first movement of Jongen's Symphonie Concertante on the Virgil Fox site MM listed a few days ago: http://web.mac.com/theneopress/iWeb/Virgil_Fox/One.html

It takes a while to download, even with broadband.

I think we may have had this topic before, but a few obvious contenders from the choral society repertiore:-

Walton Coronation Te Deum

Berlioz Te Deum

Faure Requiem

Durufle Requiem

Britten St Nicolas

I think we may have had this topic before, but a few obvious contenders from the choral society repertiore:-

Walton Coronation Te Deum

Berlioz Te Deum

Faure Requiem

Durufle Requiem

Britten St Nicolas

=================

Sorry! I can't recall it being done before.

It may be out of character for me to promote French music, but there is that utterly stunning "Olivet in Paris" by Marcel Dupre, which not has some spectacular organ writing, but some magnificent choral writing.....a real "find" if the BBC care to (dare to?) include it in the Proms.

MM