Mander Organ Builders Forum

Carillon De Phwoar

Jeremy Jones

Vierne's Carillon de Westminster from his 24 Pieces de Fantaisie has become so ubiquitous these days that I think we sometimes take it fior granted and forget just what a superb work it is. To rectify matters, may I direct you to a CD by Olivier Latry on BNL recorded at Notre-Dame that includes the CdW.

This CdW really made me sit up. It's not that it's got all the sizzle one would expect from ND - it has. No, what make this performance amazing is the way Olivier Latry takes such joy in really throwing in the kitchin sink, bath tub, you name it, in the final pages that blaze with a white-hot flame. It really is a case of Carillon de Phwoar!!! :blink:

Absolutely agree - I got that recording after recommendations on this board. It's the way he builds up the energy with those repeated bass notes and when you think you take any more, it just explodes into the recapitulation which has such controlled rhythmic energy. It's not that he plays it massively fast - it's that sense of rhythm and control behind it. I think he could make it sound it amazing on a harmonium but combine it with that organ and - it really is something to go "phwoar"!!

Guest Andrew Butler
I'm always very impressed by Vox Humana's version, too - having heard it on many fine organs in Germany and the States.

D.

I sincerely hope it's VH's interpretation rather than version that impresses!? he's far too much a musician to rewrite Vierne! :blink:

Guest paul@trinitymusic.karoo.co.uk
I sincerely hope it's VH's interpretation rather than version that impresses!? he's far too much a musician to rewrite Vierne! :blink:

We'd all be able to agree (of course) if only we knew eactly to whom you were referring!

Anyone determined enough will have worked out who I am by now - but they'll have gone away thinking "Er... who??" I'm nobody, honestly.

I do actually have an mp3 of my "interpretation", but I've no idea how to upload it and, anyway, at least three quarters of you could play it better.

Are you from Norf London then, mate?

I agree, it's fantastic, innit?

Norf-West London, actually. :huh:

I also agree with Roffensis about the Kynaston - I think this was the first recording I ever heard of CdeW on a marvellous EMI Miles of Music cassette that was made up of excerpts from the EMI Great Cathedral Organ series. I just remember thinking, wow, what an organ, and what un-organ like sounds he was producing at the opening of the work. That EMI cassette also has a wonder Ives Variations on America played by Christopher Dearnley at St Paul's. Unfortunately neither performance were included in the 4 volumes Amphion produced a few years ago, so these are nla. :blink:

While on the Kynaston line - does anyone know if his 70s RAH recordings are available on CD - also his amazing performance of Danse Macabre on the Klais at Altenberg?

AJJ

Guest paul@trinitymusic.karoo.co.uk
Unfortunately neither performance were included in the 4 volumes Amphion produced a few years ago, so these are nla.  :blink:

I am sure that you would find Martin Monkman very open to suggestions regarding further re-releases. Of course, there is always an outside chance that some other contractual problem prevented him choosing these items, but it is much more likely that Amphion had a first and second choice hit list (for what to include*) and are still working down it!

Put it this way, I shouldn't think that this re-issue project has come to a conclusion yet, so get your bids in! Amphion is quite easy to find on the web, or Martin's base address is

Norton Lodge, 109 Beverley Road, Norton on Derwent, Nr.Malton, N.Yorks, YO17 9PH

*To the best of my knowledge, other than his own good taste of course, MM's guiding opinions have been from Paul Hale, Terry Hoyle and David Rogers.

While on the Kynaston line - does anyone know if his 70s RAH recordings are available on CD - also his amazing performance of Danse Macabre on the Klais at Altenberg?

AJJ

The 1970s RAH recordings were reissued on a Classics for Pleasure Silver Doubles 2CD set in 1997 (this also includes some Bach Kynaston recorded on the Rieger at Clifton Cathedral, Bristol). I think it is nla but for the moment it looks like you can still obtain a copy at Amazon.co.uk - http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000003...glance&n=229816 plus there are some soundclips available.

Guest Roffensis
I am sure that you would find Martin Monkman very open to suggestions regarding further re-releases. Of course, there is always an outside chance that some other contractual problem prevented him choosing these items, but it is much more likely that Amphion had a first and second choice hit list (for what to include*) and are still working down it!

Put it this way, I shouldn't think that this re-issue project has come to a conclusion yet, so get your bids in!  Amphion is quite easy to find on the web, or Martin's base address is

Norton Lodge, 109 Beverley Road, Norton on Derwent, Nr.Malton, N.Yorks, YO17 9PH

*To the best of my knowledge, other than his own good taste of course, MM's guiding opinions have been from Paul Hale, Terry Hoyle and David Rogers.

I think it only fair to say how wonderful Martin Monkman has been in reissuing any of the GCOS series at all...... EMI should have done the whole blinking lot as a box set never mind a smaller company being the only one to actually see any virtue in these genuinely historic recordings. I personally regret that all of Wicks was not reissued, not least because of his sheer virtuosity, but also his style. You will never hear 565 played like that again, he used the building, and he knew the organ and acoustic very well. The pace of the fugue is a lesson in itself. The Williamson Epitaphs are also unique, and suited that sound admirably. Really though, it's horses for courses, and some of what was unique is out there and available, but certainly not all by a long shot. The Ives is a case from St Pauls, and the six different organists playing the Mendelssohn 6 Sonatas are all also stunning. Kynaston's issue was also superb, but I gather there were problems and it could not be used. Most sad.

One hopes EMI might one day see something in their heritage, or heritage, not to mention Vista and poor Michael Smythe's legacy of incredible recordings, also quietly rotting away. Instead of issuing some of the dross that is being issued today (Danette Screecher sings Cole Potherb or whatever....yeah yeah yeah) , we should be really looking at these old recordings, of an age that simply is not with us any more. Despite this, I am sure we are all grateful to Martin Monkmans for the real vision he has had to date.

Richard

The 1970s RAH recordings were reissued on a Classics for Pleasure Silver Doubles 2CD set in 1997 (this also includes some Bach Kynaston recorded on the Rieger at Clifton Cathedral, Bristol). I think it is nla but for the moment it looks like you can still obtain a copy at Amazon.co.uk - http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000003...glance&n=229816 plus there are some soundclips available.

Thanks.

AJJ

AJJ

Talking of Danse Macabre, this turned up on another list earlier today...

AJJ

I think the RAH recordings must be deleted by now - I picked up the CDs about 15 years ago. I don't know how up to date this is, but try http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000025...glance&n=229816

Good luck! :lol:

Vierne's Carillon de Westminster from his 24 Pieces de Fantaisie has become so ubiquitous these days that I think we sometimes take it fior granted and forget just what a superb work it is. To rectify matters, may I direct you to a CD by Olivier Latry on BNL recorded at Notre-Dame that includes the CdW.

This CdW really made me sit up. It's not that it's got all the sizzle one would expect from ND - it has. No, what make this performance amazing is the way Olivier Latry takes such joy in really throwing in the kitchin sink, bath tub, you name it, in the final pages that blaze with a white-hot flame. It really is a case of Carillon de Phwoar!!! :lol:

Where can I get this CD from, I’ve tried looking on the internet, but no where seems to sell it. :D

Where can I get this CD from, I’ve tried looking on the internet, but no where seems to sell it.    :lol:

Download and register with iTunes. Once you have done that, search for Latry. It should then show 4 cds with a separate list of tracks which can be purchased individually, including Carillon De Phwoar.... and yup, the kitchen sink goes in. Another good one is Widor's 6th... Each track is 79p. The only drawback is that each track is stored as a protected file, so you can either transfer them from your harddrive to an ipod or play them on your computer.