Mander Organ Builders Forum

La Melodie Interieure

Guest Cynic

Guest paul@trinitymusic.karoo.co.uk

Does anyone know the above work by Jean-Jacques Grunenwald?

If so, can they tell me what it's from? I play it from a (sh...!) photocopy which someone passed to me several years ago. It would be nice to purchase a legitimate copy or at the very least to know what album or longer work it appears in. I am fairly sure that it isn't a stand-alone work, hence the problem.

Anyone who doesn't know it - think of Alain or Langlais and then remove the astringent edge, it's soft but very 'lush'. I recommend it highly. Some of Avenir de Monfred's work is something similar but also pretty well off the beaten track.

Does anyone know the above work by Jean-Jacques Grunenwald?

If so, can they tell me what it's from?  I play it from a (sh...!) photocopy which someone passed to me several years ago.  It would be nice to purchase a legitimate copy or at the very least to know what album or longer work it appears in. I am fairly sure that it isn't a stand-alone work, hence the problem.

Anyone who doesn't know it - think of Alain or Langlais and then remove the astringent edge, it's soft but very 'lush'. I recommend it highly. Some of Avenir de Monfred's work is something similar but also pretty well off the beaten track.

It's from Grunenwald's Second Suite, Paul....published Leduc but long out of print.

The Second Suite also contains a good Toccata, and the First Suite [which is in print] is well worth exploring as well.

Guest paul@trinitymusic.karoo.co.uk
It's from Grunenwald's Second Suite, Paul....published Leduc but long out of print.

The Second Suite also contains a good Toccata, and the First Suite [which is in print] is well worth exploring as well.

Thanks for your help, folks. Swift and detailed answers, perfect!

I suppose the follow-up question then has to be: who has a copy of the Second Suite that they wouldn't mind copying from? I'll pay. Answer(s) can be off list and via the message system.

I'm still searching for the missing 'Scherzo: La Chasse' by Widor and 'Go Down Moses' by Fela Sowande. I now have everything else he wrote for solo organ and very good it all is.

I would be happy to supply something rare in exchange for copies of any of these, cash or CDs.

Many thanks,

P.

Thanks for your help, folks. Swift and detailed answers, perfect!

I suppose the follow-up question then has to be: who has a copy of the Second Suite that they wouldn't mind copying from? I'll pay. Answer(s) can be off list and via the message system.

I'm still searching for the missing 'Scherzo: La Chasse' by Widor and 'Go Down Moses' by Fela Sowande. I now have everything else he wrote for solo organ and very good it all is.

I would be happy to supply something rare in exchange for copies of any of these, cash or CDs.

Many thanks,

P.

I vaguely think John Scott Whitely has recorded the Widor at YM for Priory

AJJ

This piece was written in 1944, originally for the piano.

Here is a page in french about Grünenwald's works:

http://www.musimem.com/grunenwald.htm

Pierre

The organ version appears in Suite 2 published 1937, where it is dedicated to Dupre (as the following Toccata). I haven't been able to establish whether the organ or piano verion came first - do you have any further information?

Thanks

M