Mander Organ Builders Forum

Any Organs

Guest Roffensis

Guest Roffensis

Just wondered if anyone knows of any organs in Prison blocks that are used regularly for concertys or recitals, or even CDs?

R

Just wondered if anyone knows of any organs in Prison blocks that are used regularly for concertys or recitals, or even CDs?

R

Hi

Winson Green (Birmingham) had a 2m Nicholson(?) in the chapel - I played it once for a Sunday morning service in the 1970's (I was organist at a local Anglican Church at the time) - don't know if it's still there, I've had no cause to go back! Given that the chapel was well into the middle of the prison, I don't think recitals would be possible.

Every Blessing

Tony

Talking abt whacking big Comptons, does any one know whether the recent refurbishment of Broadcasting House included work on the Radio Theatre organ. 123 stops from 34 ranks !!

Well, it's not refurbishment, but this report suggests they still know they've got it...

Paul

Guest delvin146
Well, it's not refurbishment, but this report suggests they still know they've got it...

Paul

The final line is a bit of a concern.

Thye bit about the organ is the only thing left in the building whilst work is carried out. I'm sure it'll sound lovely once it's all done.

Guest delvin146

R

Isn't there one in Bluecoat Detention Centre in Liverpool?

Well, Winchester nick has one, a 1 manual Osmond, and according to NPOR several others do.  Wormwood Scrubs has a whacking great 3m Compton.

Wormwood Scrubbs certainly does. The Compton speaks majestically from the West Gallery, detached console on the chapel floor, complete with 32' reed, and well-maintained (at least when I last played it, about five years ago).

Guest Lee Blick
Wormwood Scrubbs certainly does. The Compton speaks majestically from the West Gallery, detached console on the chapel floor, complete with 32' reed, and well-maintained (at least when I last played it, about five years ago).

So, what were you in for?... :D:lol:

I believe it is still maintained and played. It was a re-build by Compton of their 1934 instrument for the Forum cinema, Ealing, where it was recorded by G.T. Pattman. Interestingly - although they were probably replaced when it went behind bars - it originally had one of only four known sets of electro-pneumatic relays that Compton built. The others were for the Gaumont, Wood Green (now at Gosport and in a very poor state) the B.B.C.'s St. George's Hall instrument (blitzed) and the A.V.R.O. broadcasting studios in Hilversum (unplayable).

If anyone's come across any others I'd be really interested to find out. It seems almost impossible that Compton only built them for a handful of theatre organs, but didn't include them in any of the big concert organs. The B.B.C. and A.V.R.O.

jobs were both sizable, but the other two were relatively small, so I'm sure the relay pull-downs would have been just as fast with magnets powering them as usual.

Conachers made very similar relays with electro-pneumatic action, but later seem to have gone over to direct electrics, resulting in a virtual clone of the Compton units.