Mander Organ Builders Forum

Birmingham School Of Music

Information is required on a former organ in the Birmingham School of Music when it was based in the Birmingham and Midlands Institute in Colmore Row.

This would be around 1964 and the organ was 3 man probably by Nicolson but, incredibly, Nicolsons do not have records of many of their old organs.

Quite possibly the organ was sold on or scrapped.

Principal of the School then was Gordon Clinton (deceased)

Principal organ teacher - George Miles (deceased).

I have been asked to find out and as I know there are some extremely knowledgeable people on this web site I thought someone might know something.

M.S.

Information is required on a former organ in the Birmingham School of Music when it was based in the Birmingham and Midlands Institute in Colmore Row.

This would be around 1964 and the organ was 3 man probably by Nicolson but, incredibly, Nicolsons do not have records of many of their old organs.

Quite possibly the organ was sold on or scrapped.

Principal of the School then was Gordon Clinton (deceased)

Principal organ teacher - George Miles (deceased).

I have been asked to find out and as I know there are some extremely knowledgeable people on this web site I thought someone might know something.

M.S.

Hi

Try NPOR - it's always a good place to look first! N07267 and it's predecessor seem to fit the bill. There is also a later survey for BMI in a new building, also used as a Christadelphian church on NPOR.

Every Blessing

Tony

Hi

Try NPOR - it's always a good place to look first!  N07267 and it's predecessor seem to fit the bill.  There is also a later survey for BMI in a new building, also used as a Christadelphian church on NPOR.

Every Blessing

Tony

Thank you very much for that Tony. I have NOW done so, but originally thought that as that organ has gone from there a long time ago, it would not be in the NPOR. It was indeed. (N 07267)

Someone reading this might possibly know what happened to this instrument ? and then we can close this subject. Probably thrown away as I think it was a fairly extinguished instrument.

A mutual friend, who works at the B'ham Conservatoire is currently engaged on the moving of the Eule Susi Jeans organ from the RSCM at Dorking to B'ham Conservatoire, and was idly wondering what the former organ was like. It might make an interesting diversion in the programme notes for the inaugural concert of the re-instated Susi Jeans organ.

Michael.