Mander Organ Builders Forum

Repertoire For Cello And Organ

peter ellis

Hi everyone and greetings from Sydney.

My cello playing partner and I give many recitals together and we're looking to build up a list of preferably original works for the two instruments. If anyone can help with suggestions we'd love to recieve them.

My email direct is petejellis@hotmail.com. Also anyone wishing to drop in at St. James' Church (www.stjameschurchsydney.org.au) and have a play is more than welcome to contact me.

Thanks

Peter Ellis

My cello playing partner and I give many recitals together and we're looking to build up a list of preferably original works for the two instruments. If anyone can help with suggestions we'd love to recieve them.

My email direct is petejellis@hotmail.com. Also anyone wishing to drop in at St. James' Church (www.stjameschurchsydney.org.au) and have a play is more than welcome to contact me.

Thanks

Peter Ellis

If you can also manage to enlist a violinist, there's the Suite Op 149 for organ, violin and cello by Rheinberger.

Another suggestion might be the Fantasia a gusto italiano by J L Krebs, a gorgeous piece quite unlike anything else he wrote. The solo line in the LH is just like a viola da gamba solo with gentle quaver accompaniment for RH and pedal. It could well be a transcription of something else and I'm sure it would work perfectly for organ and cello. It's in Vol 2 of the Breitkopf edition.

JS

Thanks

Peter Ellis

No specific works to suggest, Peter, but you quite often find interesting things lurking in the catalogues of Breitkopf, Doblinger, Peters and the like. Have you done much commissioning?

Thanks

Peter Ellis

===============

I'm sure I've stumbled across this combination in the Eastern European search, and if I can find a few moments (hours) I will check.

I know that music in the Czech Republic (former Czechoslovakia) included all sorts of strange combinations of instruments.

MM

Thanks everyone - i'm overwhelmed by the response. the Gubaidalina has been ordered, as well as the CD. Ernst Bacon will recieve some attention. I'm going to look into some of these European composers I've never heard of.

Look forward to metting over other topics soon.

Pete Ellis

Thanks

Peter Ellis

========================

I've had a bit of a scratch around (sorry about that pun) for you Peter.

Milos Sokola - Czech Contemporary ComposerCzech Music Information Project. ... CHF 20'; Sonata for Violoncello and Piano (1974), CHF 20'; Largo for Violoncello and Organ (1974), CHF 10' ...

This sounds promising. Sokola is an interesting Czech composer

================

Sofia Gubaidulina: In Croce for Violoncello and Organ

http://www.emusic.com/samples/m3u/song/10606397/10994640.m3u

This has been mentioned of course, but here can be heard a brief sample.

=====================

www . musicabaltica . com INSTRUMENTAL CHAMBER MUSIC 2006 –. winds. Dubra, Rihards. (*1964). Lux confessionis. for violoncello and organ

=======================

Marcel Dupré: Sonata in A Minor for Violoncello and Organ, Op. 60 ...

Now, that's a name to conjour with!

====================

James Wierzbicki1999; Elegy — string orchestra, 1999; Plaint — violoncello and organ, 1998

USA

=======================

Sweden ... violoncello and organ. NORDSTRÖM, ERIK (1959) ...

===============================

Robert M. Helmschrott - 12 Sonate de chiesa (No.7 for cello and organ)

=============================

EXTENSIVE LIST OF REPERTOIRE

http://www.carus-verlag.com/images-intern/...d%20organ%22%22

==============================

http://www.guenter-raphael.de/seiten_engl/...eichnis_fs.html

Violoncello and Organ

Sonate d-moll für Violoncello und Orgel (1937)

===================

I'm sure there are lots of other works, but this is all I've discovered for the moment.

Did anyone mention Rheinberger?

If they are not original, there are Rhenberger arrangements, and also music by Bruch, which may be worth a look.

MM

Thank you so much MM, we are trawling shops, archives and conservatoria in a search. I think our repertoire list will be much different in 12 months time. I'm particularly interested in the Dupre.

I hope you don't mind but i visited your profile on the other thread - the one where we all admit who we are. If it's any comfort I have a 120 strong choir who stare blankly at their music too, the difference being it doesn't all click into place two weeks later.

Kindest regards

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks

Peter Ellis

See a recent recording by French musicians "Cello and organ"

http://www.festivo.nl/fr/index.html

• 1 year later...

In looking at the cello and organ repertoire, I stumbled across a recording of Herman Berlinski's Sinfonia No. 10 for cello and organ. I've not been able to locate a source for a score (perhaps it hasn't been published?) but wondered if any of the forum members would be able to help.

• 2 weeks later...