Mander Organ Builders Forum

Recordings Of Mckie, Darke, Dykes Bower, Gabb Etc.

maestro_vienna

Hello, I would be grateful for any help anyone might be able to offer me: I am trying to locate certain recordings for thesis research which are now very difficult to find. As I live in Austria, the chances of finding second hand copies of these are extremely remote! I keep checking Ebay but so far no luck. The records are:

Harold Darke on two Pilgrim LPs JLP 139 and JLP 140

International Congress of Organists 1957 on Mirrosonic: there were several volumes of this, but I am looking for just two: Darke's recital, Dykes Bower's recital and the service recordings.

I have some rare recordings of William Mckie playing but perhaps some members here have other material of him, perhaps private recordings on reel-to-reel or disc, about which I would be happy to hear! Ditto for John Dykes Bower and Harry Gabb, no matter whether organ recital or services with their respective choirs.

Thank you very much in advance for your help!

Peter

Very interested to hear about your research as I was a chorister at St Paul's under Dykes Bower and Harry Gabb and frequently watched and heard them play. I know of no recordings at all by Gabb other than a brief improvised introduction on a christmas carols recording for "The First Nowell" and an extemporised closure for "Hark! The herald." Last year, I think it was, two CDs were issed that have recordings of DB - on one he plays a STanley voluntary (with pedals) and the Parry Old 104th, and the other - a live recording from the 57 International Organists' event of the Bach G major P&F in which there is a cypher! I haven't the details to hand but try a google search on Dykes Bower Monkman, for it was Mr Monkman who brought these pieces to the format of CD. I have the full details but not here at home with me. Do contact me by email if you think I can help in any way. Meanwhile, would lvery much like to hear more about what you're doing re these two fine people! (hm@clayesmore.com).

Hello, I would be grateful for any help anyone might be able to offer me: I am trying to locate certain recordings for thesis research which are now very difficult to find. As I live in Austria, the chances of finding second hand copies of these are extremely remote! I keep checking Ebay but so far no luck. The records are:

Harold Darke on two Pilgrim LPs JLP 139 and JLP 140

International Congress of Organists 1957 on Mirrosonic: there were several volumes of this, but I am looking for just two: Darke's recital, Dykes Bower's recital and the service recordings.

I have some rare recordings of William Mckie playing but perhaps some members here have other material of him, perhaps private recordings on reel-to-reel or disc, about which I would be happy to hear! Ditto for John Dykes Bower and Harry Gabb, no matter whether organ recital or services with their respective choirs.

Thank you very much in advance for your help!

Peter

British recorded music archive - or the BBC?

My former teacher and choirmaster at Barnet Parish Church David Patrick was previously Harold Darke's pupil and assistant at Cornhill at one time - he might be able to help and could be contacted via his music publishing website (there's also some good music there!) -

http://www.impulse-music.co.uk/fitzjohnmusic.htm

Darke did occasional concerts with us - he composed an anthem for us and I think he also wrote an organ piece used at David Patrick's wedding. The current Organists' Review also has an article about Darke.

AJJ

Thank you very much for your suggestions, which I will follow. I do have the Amphion CDs and I also have seen what is held at the National Sound Archive (which includes BBC material). It is really private recordings for which I am looking, in case anybody has any. But I realise that this sort of thing will be difficult to find.

I too was a chorister at St Paul's in the DB/Gabb era - but a few years before Martin Cooke (I was a contemporary of his big brother Richard).

I can say for sure that there were no private recordings involving the choir between 1958 and 1963, and I doubt whether DB or Gabbo made any private recordings of them playing the organ in the Cathedral either. It is also unlikely that there are any "Pirate" recordings of services about, since the equipment needed would have been very bulky and the virgers would have screened out anyone arriving with that sort of kit.

Your best bet is the BBC or ITV archives, but I don't know how they are indexed, nor how they can be searched. 45 years ago it was quite normal for there to be no mention of who the musicians were in live broadcasts.

If you search by event you may have more luck. Try the rededication of the High Altar

7th May 1958); Dedication of the American Memorial Chapel (November 1958); and Sir Winston Churchill's funeral (January 1965).

If you would like more information or anecdotes, please contact me personally...

• 10 years later...