Mander Organ Builders Forum

Dorking United Reformed Church

MAB

Next Saturday, 9th September, as part of Dorking Heritage Weekend I am playing for a 'Top 10 Hymns' service at Dorking United Reformed Church.

The church now sports a Copeman Hart electronic, but I seem to remember reading that before this, the church housed an organ originally built for the Royal Pavillion in Brighton.

I mentioned this to someone at the church who thought this was also correct.

Naively I asked what had happened to the old organ now that they had the electronic and I was told that it had simply been dismantled and taken to the scrap heap.

Can anyone confirm the provenance of the old instrument and whether it was of any particular historic value ?

Incidentally, in case you are interested, the top 10 hymns are very much the traditional favourites. Voting closes at midnight tomorrow (Friday), but at the moment in joint first place are Guide me O thou great redeemer, Shine Jesus Shine and Jerusalem.

Next Saturday, 9th September, as part of Dorking Heritage Weekend I am playing for a 'Top 10 Hymns' service at Dorking United Reformed Church.

The church now sports a Copeman Hart electronic, but I seem to remember reading that before this, the church housed an organ originally built for the Royal Pavillion in Brighton.

I mentioned this to someone at the church who thought this was also correct.

Naively I asked what had happened to the old organ now that they had the electronic and I was told that it had simply been dismantled and taken to the scrap heap.

Can anyone confirm the provenance of the old instrument and whether it was of any particular historic value ?

Hi

There's a mini survey on NPOR (ref. P00047) but it really only notes the existence of a pipe organ - there is a named source that might just be worth following up.

There are 2 organs recorded for the Royal Pavillion, Brighton, neither of which seem to fit the bill, but there is a mystery as to the fate of the Willis in the Dome - predecessor of the HNB/Christie hybrid recently restored.

Any information gratefully received by NPOR!

Hope the "Top Ten" service goes well.

Every Blessing

Tony