Mander Organ Builders Forum

Musicom Transmission

David Coram

I am looking into transmission systems and the one provided by Musicom seems too good to be true - all in one unit controlling keys, stops, extension, couplers, octaves, pistons (Scope system controllable from computer via USB), record & playback, transposer. Seems like there ought to be a catch. Anyone know where this system has been used and able to offer any enlightenment as to its performance and reliability?

Ta

David

Guest Barry Oakley
I am looking into transmission systems and the one provided by Musicom seems too good to be true - all in one unit controlling keys, stops, extension, couplers, octaves, pistons (Scope system controllable from computer via USB), record & playback, transposer.  Seems like there ought to be a catch.  Anyone know where this system has been used and able to offer any enlightenment as to its performance and reliability?

Ta

David

David, I specified a Musicom system on a reinstallation of a 5-rank Compton at a Methodist church at Hessle near Hull. This replaced the original Compton relay system and I am not aware that it has given any problems. It was installed by George Sixsmith who also used a Musicom system on his rebuild of the 4-manual Hill at St Paul's, Newcastle-under-Lyme. I believe he has used Musicom transmission systems elsewhere. Both of these instruments are a goodly way from Romsey, but I guess if you were to speak with either George or Andrew Sixsmith they would be only too pleased to speak from experience. The boss of Musicom, Tony Koorlander, is a very clever electronics engineer.

David, I specified a Musicom system on a reinstallation of a 5-rank Compton at a Methodist church at Hessle near Hull. This replaced the original Compton relay system and I am not aware that it has given any problems. It was installed by George Sixsmith who also used a Musicom system on his rebuild of the 4-manual Hill at St Paul's, Newcastle-under-Lyme. I believe he has used Musicom transmission systems elsewhere. Both of these instruments are a goodly way from Romsey, but I guess if you were to speak with either George or Andrew Sixsmith they would be only too pleased to speak from experience. The boss of Musicom, Tony Koorlander, is a very clever electronics engineer.

I am sure these days that the sky is the limit - many years ago when HNB pioneered the first single cable electronic transmissions and recording/playback systems I was called "a disgrace to British Organbuilding" as such ideas might encourage people to think there was an acceptable alternative, under the right circumstances to mechanical action. I see with a wry smile that often where there are now two actions and consoles to an instrument, it is usually the electric version is the one that gets used. What goes round comes round?

FF

I see with a wry smile that often where there are now two actions and consoles to an instrument, it is usually the electric version is the one that gets used. What goes round comes round?

FF

Indeed. Often a case of obeying lottery funding rules (and wasting lots of extra money in the process) and probably often a case of concert organist consultants who forget that a church organ's primary role is the accompaniment of services.

Indeed.  Often a case of obeying lottery funding rules (and wasting lots of extra money in the process) and probably often a case of concert organist consultants who forget that a church organ's primary role is the accompaniment of services.

This is certainly the case at Christchurch Priory. The Nave console (downstairs) is used almost exclusively. The console up in the loft with the case is - well, just an expensive chocolate chastity belt, really.

I am looking into transmission systems and the one provided by Musicom seems too good to be true - all in one unit controlling keys, stops, extension, couplers, octaves, pistons (Scope system controllable from computer via USB), record & playback, transposer.  Seems like there ought to be a catch.  Anyone know where this system has been used and able to offer any enlightenment as to its performance and reliability?

Ta

David

Hi

Musicom hardware is also used in Copeman-Hart digital organs (and a few other brands) - and I've not heard of any significant reliability issues.

Every Blessing

Tony