Mander Organ Builders Forum

Is This A Wind-up?

Guest Andrew Butler

Guest paul@trinitymusic.karoo.co.uk
I've often wondered if this is genuine or a wind-up, but never got round to asking!

If genuine, my apologies to all concerned for having any doubts.

http://members.tripod.com/~rsbo/

I can see why you are wondering.

We should ask John Mander! Since this site claims, amongst other things, that an order is being placed (1998) for a new organ from Manders. If this is just a wind-up, this is a very dubious claim to make.

"6368 visitors since May 1998.

Last updated Jan 1999."

Latest news item May 1998

Blink and you'll miss it!

And perhaps the "Contra Pousanne" in the specification of the organ would make a nice pot-roast.

Oh, and their address doesn't exist, either.

Paul

I can see why you are wondering.

We should ask John Mander! Since this site claims, amongst other things, that an order is being placed (1998) for a new organ from Manders. If this is just a wind-up, this is a very dubious claim to make.

Apparently this 44 stop organ is only costing £170,000. I think the order must have been placed circa 1974.

I doubt that this is serious - as PWH has pointed-out, they do not exactly keep their site updated regularly.

The organ also does not sound like something that Manders would build. I know that consultants sometimes hold sway, but Mander Organs has a recognisable house-style insofar as their stop-lista are concerned. This does not look like one of them.

I suspect that it is as genuine as the appeal my boss and I launched in school a few years ago, when we managed to con a good number of the pupils (and some of our more gullible colleagues) into believing that we were raising money to support a campaign to rescue an attack llama - we even suggested the construction of a corral adjacent to the Music School.... We made a thermometer-style appeal board, with an imaginary total and printed posters - and even had a naming competition.

God, how the long winter evenings just flew by....

I've often wondered if this is genuine or a wind-up, but never got round to asking!

If genuine, my apologies to all concerned for having any doubts.

http://members.tripod.com/~rsbo/

======================

I kid you not, but I once managed to convince a respected American academic that crocodiles inhabited the banks of the River Humber.

It was such fun, but then I had to confess eventually.

The trouble is, I REALLY DID discover a dead baby-shark on the lawns outside Hull University, but would my academic friend believe me?

You can guess his rather abrupt response; one of the words of which holds bits of wood together!

I think that the RSBO could be safely described with the one word; which is monosyllabic, and they bounce!

:blink:

MM

But would I have to pay sixty five quid before I was allowed to download the form to take the exam... that's the question...

It would be interesting to obtain a copy of their exam syllabus.

I once saw one (advertised in the Church Times) for a private music college in the north and I applied for one out of pure curiosity.

When it arrived, I have to say that I was shocked. Amongst several rather underhand things this college was offering was the 'diploma' of 'Master Musician' - which was abreviated to M.Mus. For this, all one had to do was to send in a cassette tape of oneself (or, in fact, anyone) playing the organ and they would send back the 'diploma'.

I think that there may have been some mention of supplying an affidavit - but this was rather vague and could have been provided by almost anyone - it was not necessary for them to have heard the playing on the tape.

Hmmm.... I think that this is cheating.

:blink:

What about these people then? (I think that another organisation exists with a similar membership and intent but with different name however at the moment can't remember the name!) A quick scan of the membership will reveal one or two familiar names and some very long lists of qualifications.

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/facultylm/index.jhtml

AJJ

PS Later.........Try the LINKS button and the 'other organisation' referred to above (and even more) can be found - I never realised all this existed!

What about these people then? (I think that another organisation exists with a similar membership and intent but with different name however at the moment can't remember the name!) A quick scan of the membership will reveal one or two familiar names and some very long lists of qualifications.

AJJ

PS Later.........Try the LINKS button and the 'other organisation' referred to above (and even more) can be found - I never realised all this existed!

Good grief.

I wonder if one or two people included in the list have really thought about the implications of being involved (in any way) with this organisation....

AJJ

The Burgon society apparently exists solely for the 'study of academic dress'. Marvellous.

Guest Lee Blick

Doing a little link clicking it seems obvious there are a handful of individuals behind all these organisations which includes a church denomination, a "university" and a "life-long distance learning college". Whether this is a circle of deceit developed for financial motives or a genuine network for people who want recognition outside the established routes and institutions, I am not sure but if there is a demand for this sort of thing then no-one can really stop them and it probably provides a harmless need.

Guest Lee Blick
I doubt that this is serious - as PWH has pointed-out, they do not exactly keep their site updated regularly.

The organ also does not sound like something that Manders would build. I know that consultants sometimes hold sway, but Mander Organs has a recognisable house-style insofar as their stop-lista are concerned. This does not look like one of them.

I suspect that it is as genuine as the appeal my boss and I launched in school a few years ago, when we managed to con a good number of the pupils (and some of our more gullible colleagues) into believing that we were raising money to support a campaign to rescue an attack llama - we even suggested the construction of a corral adjacent to the Music School.... We made a thermometer-style appeal board, with an imaginary total and printed posters - and even had a naming competition.

God, how the long winter evenings just flew by....

So how many years did you go down for for doing that.... :unsure:

Doing a little link clicking it seems obvious there are a handful of individuals behind all these organisations which includes a church denomination, a "university" and a "life-long distance learning college".  Whether this is a circle of deceit developed for financial motives or a genuine network for people who want recognition outside the established routes and institutions, I am not sure but if there is a demand for this sort of thing then no-one can really stop them and it probably provides a harmless need.

And the 'dressing up' side of it means that the knitters and weavers of academic wear are kept in business too as this seems an important part of their purpose!

AJJ

I suspect that it is as genuine as the appeal my boss and I launched in school a few years ago, when we managed to con a good number of the pupils (and some of our more gullible colleagues) into believing that we were raising money to support a campaign to rescue an attack llama

================

How minds work much the same, even though I refrain from using the word "great."

I recall that one of my more able academic efforts was to write about "the advantages of Yak transport for London."

I suppose that enquiring minds need to know whether, like sheep, the lesser-coated attack-llama and the gentle, long-coated Yak may graze safely in the same fields?

If not, then we would be back to an M25 situation, with the added hazard of bio-pollution.

MM

================

How minds work much the same, even though I refrain from using the word "great."

I recall that one of my more able academic efforts was to write about "the advantages of Yak transport for London."

I suppose that enquiring minds need to know whether, like sheep, the lesser-coated attack-llama and the gentle, long-coated Yak may graze safely in the same fields?

If not, then we would be back to an M25 situation, with the added hazard of bio-pollution.

MM

"Yak may safely graze", to get this minimally back on topic.........

:unsure::P Barry