Mander Organ Builders Forum

Flash

Westgate Morris

=================

My gut instinct is to play I + II as Swell + Great, and the III + I as Swell, (or Swell + Choir), since the pedal notes co-incide with the I + II markings for the manuals.

Why did I choose music?

MM

On the wonderful recording I have of David Titterington doing it at New College, where the Chamade is on the Swell, he just goes III II I all uncoupled then back up again and all happens as it should. At Wimborne and Romsey where the loud stuff is on the Choir you go the other way round. I think it's an absolute cracker, that. Haven't been able to get into any others in the book - can you recommend something I should persevere with?

PS VH - DGW video? Online or in your private collection? Would love to see...

PPS RA - NDG???? Flashy?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest paul@trinitymusic.karoo.co.uk
It is almost certainly from the King of Instruments series, which BBC2 broadcast about fifteen years ago.

I have a copy which you are welcome to watch if you wish, David.

I think these two Tuba haters should definitely get together.

Just don't expect to persuade the rest of us that we're wrong if you do!

Seriously: Is it possible to give the topic of Tubas (and even the topic of J.W.Walker Trompetta Reals) a break? just as we did with shhh....Worxxxter?

I think these two Tuba haters should definitely get together.

Just don't expect to persuade the rest of us that we're wrong if you do!

Seriously: Is it possible to give the topic of Tubas (and even the topic of J.W.Walker Trompetta Reals) a break? just as we did with shhh....Worxxxter?

Actually Paul, I think that this is a little unfair.

I have not mentioned the 'T'-word for several posts and, for the record, David quite likes his at Romsey.

I am quite happy for you to like tuba stops, just as I like my chamade (it is not, incidentally, a Trompeta Real....)

B)

=====================

Humph!

What are we going to squabble about now?

I know....who likes en-chamade Regals?

:wub:

MM

Actually MM I do in principle, though as with any other type of stop (including that whose name we are being asked to eschew for a while) an individual example may be pretty dreadful. Have you heard the Orlos at Altenberg ? Very distinctive.

Actually MM I do in principle, though as with any other type of stop (including that whose name  we are being asked to eschew for a while) an individual example may be pretty dreadful. Have you heard the Orlos at Altenberg ? Very distinctive.

Isn't there also one on the Mander organ just about to be replaced at Jesus College Cambridge?

AJJ

Isn't there also one on the Mander organ just about to be replaced at Jesus College Cambridge?

AJJ

It does have an en chamade Regal.

However, the only example of an Orlos in of which I can think, is that on the Telford instrument of Armagh Cathedral - which is quite French in several respects.