Mander Organ Builders Forum

New Organ

Martin Cooke

Does anyone know if the new Matthew Copley organ with the 32ft pipework in the case has ever been installed in St Mary's Edinburgh ? According to the Matthew Copley website it says that it was due for completion last Easter but there has been no further news.

Martin

The new organ appears to have most of the pedal department in place and some Great pipework was in evidence on 21 August 2006. Renatus will re-commence erection of casework at the end of September. I would imagine the organ should be fully operational by early next year.

Alistair

• 1 year later...
Does anyone know if the new Matthew Copley organ with the 32ft pipework in the case has ever been installed in St Mary's Edinburgh ? According to the Matthew Copley website it says that it was due for completion last Easter but there has been no further news.

Martin

October 2007 update!

The 57 spk stop west end organ is now playable and most impressive it is too. The 5 stop east end choir organ together with the second console should be operational by the end of 2007.

I spoke recently with the new Cathedral Organist, Simon Nieminski, and understand that plans are being made for a series of inaugural events commencing February 2008. A CD recording is also in the pipeline.

Alistair

Martin

October 2007 update!

The 57 spk stop west end organ is now playable and most impressive it is too. The 5 stop east end choir organ together with the second console should be operational by the end of 2007.

I spoke recently with the new Cathedral Organist, Simon Nieminski, and understand that plans are being made for a series of inaugural events commencing February 2008. A CD recording is also in the pipeline.

Alistair

Confusion! - is the new organ going in here - has Simon Nieminski moved - or neither of these?

AJJ

Precisely.

Simon Nieminski moved from St Mary's (Scottish Episcopal) Cathedral to St Mary's (RC) Cathedral in September.

So who's running things at the Episcopal cathedral now?

AJJ

So who's running things at the Episcopal cathedral now?

AJJ

According to the September edition of the Episcopal Cathedral Magazine, Duncan Ferguson (Asst Org) will become acting Master of the Music until August 2008 - this will give ample time to recruit Simon's replacement and serve any period of notice. Nicholas Wearne (New College,Oxford) has been appointed Assistant Organist until 2008.

A

According to the September edition of the Episcopal Cathedral Magazine, Duncan Ferguson (Asst Org) will become acting Master of the Music until August 2008 - this will give ample time to recruit Simon's replacement and serve any period of notice. Nicholas Wearne (New College,Oxford) has been appointed Assistant Organist until 2008.

A

I'd heard that Simon N was only at the Roman Catholic cathedral as a Sabatical for a year was then returning to the Episcopal Cathedral. I now assume i'm wrong, but isn't it a bit of an odd move?

I'd heard that Simon N was only at the Roman Catholic cathedral as a Sabatical for a year was then returning to the Episcopal Cathedral. I now assume i'm wrong, but isn't it a bit of an odd move?

The article written by the Provost of St Mary's Episcopal Cathedral states that Simon wishes to concentrate on his playing rather than choir training. At the Metropolitan Cathedral the only service currently featuring choir and organ is the 11.30am Mass on Sunday.

A

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

As a choral scholar / organist at St Mary's Episopal Cathedral Edinburgh, I can confirm that Simon Nieminski left after the Edinburgh festival in late august, and went to be the organist at the catholic cathedral (also a St Mary's) to concentrate on his playing, and it is at the catholic cathedral where the new organ is. Duncan Ferguson is now the Acting Master of Music for 1 year, whilst somebody new is appointed. He was previously the assistant here since 2005, before that the Organ Schlolar of St Pauls Cathedral London and before that Organ Scholar of Magdalen College Oxford. The assistant is now Nick Wearne who was previously organ scholar and then assistant at New College Oxford and organ scholar and acting assistant at Truro Cathedral. The cathedral still has the 4 - manual Willis which is a joy to play!

Andrew

Hi,

As a choral scholar / organist at St Mary's Episopal Cathedral Edinburgh, I can confirm that Simon Nieminski left after the Edinburgh festival in late august, and went to be the organist at the catholic cathedral (also a St Mary's) to concentrate on his playing, and it is at the catholic cathedral where the new organ is. Duncan Ferguson is now the Acting Master of Music for 1 year, whilst somebody new is appointed. He was previously the assistant here since 2005, before that the Organ Schlolar of St Pauls Cathedral London and before that Organ Scholar of Magdalen College Oxford. The assistant is now Nick Wearne who was previously organ scholar and then assistant at New College Oxford and organ scholar and acting assistant at Truro Cathedral. The cathedral still has the 4 - manual Willis which is a joy to play!

Andrew

It needs to be further clarified, perhaps, that Simon has been appointed Cathedral Organist at St Mary's RC Cathedral; the Director of Music there is Emma Turnbull.

It needs to be further clarified, perhaps, that Simon has been appointed Cathedral Organist at St Mary's RC Cathedral; the Director of Music there is Emma Turnbull.

Yes this is correct. A rather interesting feature of this organ is a drinks holder that was requested by Simon, there are some pictures of it somewhere which I will try to locate.