Mander Organ Builders Forum

Repertoire Suggestions?

mrbouffant

Advice required folks! I've been roped in to accompany a choral concert in a few weeks on my normal instrument and I've just discovered that I need to offer some solo organ works in the first half, interspersed between "Zadok the Priest" and two chunks of "The King Shall Rejoice". The second half is the Nelson Mass.

Any suggestions? I was thinking of some Haydn musical clock pieces but in all I probably need about 20-25 minutes of stuff, so thought of W.T.Best's transcriptions of the Handel op. 4 Organ Concertos. Your thoughts and comments welcome!

Guest paul@trinitymusic.karoo.co.uk
Advice required folks! I've been roped in to accompany a choral concert in a few weeks on my normal instrument and I've just discovered that I need to offer some solo organ works in the first half, interspersed between "Zadok the Priest" and two chunks of "The King Shall Rejoice". The second half is the Nelson Mass.

Any suggestions? I was thinking of some Haydn musical clock pieces but in all I probably need about 20-25 minutes of stuff, so thought of W.T.Best's transcriptions of the Handel op. 4 Organ Concertos. Your thoughts and comments welcome!

Handel Organ Concertos would certainly be good for this.

There's the two big Mozart pieces, of course. It is Mozart year.

'Popular' items not too far from the style of the rest of the programme would be something like the Albinoni/Giazotto or the Festing Variations arr.Thalben-Ball. Do you have the Suite by Tuma, edited by C.H.Trevor?

20-25 minutes is a fair while, so you might have to consider going into another style of music - Vierne maybe? - either Carillon always goes down extremely well.

A bit of Bonnet?

The Vaughan-Williams Preludes on Welsh Hymn Tunes?

Karg-Elert's Marche Triomphale on Nun Danket?

As to modern...

Mushel/Sark Toccatas

Alain Litanies

Bourgeois Serenade

are all good....

do you play Walton's Three Pieces (incidental music to Richard III)?

Good luck, I'm sure they'll all enjoy it!

P.