Mander Organ Builders Forum

Things To Do On An Idle Evening

Guest Paul Isom

Guest Paul Isom

I've just had one of those days - busy, hectic - all the things that demand relaxation afterwards. I've been footling around with Hauptwerk and MIDI files, experimenting to see which pieces could potentially be arranged for organ. For those of you types who like playing with such things, I can thoroughly recommend it, mainly for the fun value of seing a virtual organ having a near eplileptic fit - I can guarantee that you will have heard nothing like it. The star pieces of the evening which have assaulted a French romantic organ have been:

Finale: from Divertissment (Ibert)

Gadfly Gallop: (Shostakovich)

Nightmare before Christmas (????)

and various Grainger pieces

The Grainger works very well on the organ indeed. The Ibert sounds absurd, but great fun if you leave in the toy counter percussion stuff! The nightmare before Christmas will also translate well, although it may be that it won't make the top ten Christmas organ voluntaries!

I wonder when Jean Guillou will be bringing out his transcription of Divertissment.................................................

Guest Lee Blick

Have you tried Walton's Facade on it? It works well on organ. I have a copy of it arranged for organ if you are interested.

ah yes...

MIDI files and Hauptwerk.....

<chuckle>

I like your description:

"seeing a virtual organ having a near eplileptic fit"

There are all SORTS of things one can do with transcriptions on a "virtual" organ (many of which are not humanly possible, but are at least entertaining!)

Just yesterday I was looking through the Durufle Danses op. 6 as arranged by the composer for piano 2h, and wondering if and how one might translate them to organ (albeit better with the orchestral score also at hand!)

Care to share any recordings of your experiments?

<grin>

On a more serious note, you could even do the organ world a signal service by programming HW to play the Mozart clock pieces with all the notes he actually wrote. Not sure that the original versions are easy to come by though - I've never seen them.