Mander Organ Builders Forum

Composite Recital

David Coram

Just a thought. I'm working on possibilities for several concert series at the moment and just wondered if any participants would be interested in taking part in a sort of composite recital affair, where you have to bring, talk about and play a piece of music (well known but preferably otherwise). If a few of us were able to put on these events in different parts of the country spread fairly evenly throughout next year then the possibilities for "group" marketing could help us attract audiences. Perhaps we might even get sponsorship from, say, a respected UK firm of organbuilders???

Who pockets the fees?!

Is this to be a touring posse of fixed membership, or are you proposing to team up with different organists in each area?

The problem with composite recitals is that, unless the players are all equally matched, comparisons inevitably get drawn and somebody comes off worse. Player A might play a brilliant Bach Prelude and Fugue, but if player B then comes along and tops him with a staggeringly virtuosic Duruflé Toccata... well, I rest my case!

Who pockets the fees?!

Is this to be a touring posse of fixed membership, or are you proposing to team up with different organists in each area?

The problem with composite recitals is that, unless the players are all equally matched, comparisons inevitably get drawn and somebody comes off worse. Player A might play a brilliant Bach Prelude and Fugue, but if player B then comes along and tops him with a staggeringly virtuosic Duruflé Toccata... well, I rest my case!

=========================

I'll only nominate myself if I can wear a bright, multi-coloured silk jacket and shout at the audience as I play.

It's been done before.....worry not.

B)

MM

I'll only nominate myself if I can wear a bright, multi-coloured silk jacket and shout at the audience as I play.

B)

MM

My word - that's FANTASTIC! You can come and do that any time you like. I'm fairly sure Bach would approve entirely. Given me an idea for a concert, actually!

Oh, back to earth again - competition - sod that. Funding - organ fund or other nominated by the host venue.

B)

MM

:o

He must have been on something - he talks rather a lot about trips and tripping in the Jig fugue - a big hint to about 5,000 people if I ever heard one.

But simply fantastic - completely unihibited. It always brings out my inner child in me each time. Love it.