Mander Organ Builders Forum

New Cds

AJJ

I have just taken posession of this new 2 CD set of music played on historic and important organs South of the Thames in London - some well played music and interesting instruments. There should be more projects like this and Paul Derrett's 'Benchmark' sets. (Likewise the new 'soundbites' on the NPOR.)

http://www.ram.ac.uk/SSLSO/

AJJ

PS Check out the Bairstow Scherzo at Southwark and the Stanford Fantasia and Toccata at the RFH!

Yes, but what I want to know is when are they going to do one north of the River Thames? It was very charitable of the RAM to venture into such territory, but we have some fabulous lesser known organs north of the river too that deserve to be heard, don't you know, including:

St Augustine's, Kilburn (Willis 1871, Harrison 1915)

St Dominic's Priory, Belsize Park (Willis 1883)

Union Chapel, Islington (Willis 1877)

Holy Trinity, Sloane Square (Walker 1891)

St Matthew's, Bayswater (Walker 1913)

London Oratory (Walker 1954)

St Alphage, Burnt Oak (Willis 1857, Shepherd 2002)

St Luke's, Chelsea (Compton 1932)

St Cuthbert's, Philbeach Gardens, Earl's Court (Hunter 1900)

St John the Baptist, Holland Road, Kensington (Gern 1896)

Yes, but what I want to know is when are they going to do one north of the River Thames? It was very charitable of the RAM to venture into such territory, but we have some fabulous lesser known organs north of the river too that deserve to be heard, don't you know, including:

...........as a north Londoner I agree with this and why not also include the 1984 Nigel Church at All Saints Friern Barnet as a 'modern' - a bit further out but worth a visit.

AJJ

The 'they' referred to in the emails, is the collaboration between the Southwark and South London Society of Organists and the Royal Academy of Music. I can state categorically that there are no plans to undertake a set of recordings North of the Thames. This would be a project for those on the north side to work at.

The project has taken two years to deliver. It has been great fun but very hard work.

Please spread the word about the existing CD at www.ram.ac.uk/SSLSO.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest paul@trinitymusic.karoo.co.uk

I have now aquired a copy of the new RAM/Southwark Diocese double CD set ('GRAND CHORUS') for myself. It would be invidious to pick out particular musicians or organs, but virtually all are most successful and this is a recording project well worth hearing and supporting. It is a bit of a whistle-stop tour*, of course.

*What an appropriate phrase for a 'tour' CD, BTW! Pity none of my friends thought of this one ten years ago.

Having said I wouldn't pick out one track, who'd have thought that the Festival Hall Organ would come across so well? Certainly not me. The performance of Stanford's Fantasia and Toccata there was bound (I was sure) to turn out to be a mistake, but it isn't! This is a First Class performance, sounding well-suited to the instrument and excellently recorded.

The performance of Stanford's Fantasia and Toccata there was bound (I was sure) to turn out to be a mistake, but it isn't! This is a First Class performance, sounding well-suited to the instrument and excellently recorded.

The only slight problem here was that when I loaded it onto iTunes it arrived next to a performance of the same piece from Sydney Town Hall played by David Drury - the juxtaposition of the two (excellent performances) was distinctly jarring on the brain especially when the whole thing starts up again on Harrison/Downes following vintage Hill if I forget to stop it!

(I really quite like the piece - 'never really knew it till recently)

AJJ

Having said I wouldn't pick out one track, who'd have thought that the Festival Hall Organ would come across so well? Certainly not me. The performance of Stanford's Fantasia and Toccata there was bound (I was sure) to turn out to be a mistake, but it isn't! This is a First Class performance, sounding well-suited to the instrument and excellently recorded.

Darn it, the man's stolen my thunder! :P Whoever was the balance engineer at the RFH, take a bow, for the organ actually sounds like a Harrison organ of its time rather than its usual "Darling, it's boiling!!!" incarnation, when you want to hide behind the sofa, quietly wailing: "Mommy, make it go away!" B)

Darn it, the man's stolen my thunder!  :P Whoever was the balance engineer at the RFH, take a bow, for the organ actually sounds like a Harrison organ of its time rather than its usual "Darling, it's boiling!!!" incarnation, when you want to hide behind the sofa, quietly wailing: "Mommy, make it go away!"  B)

Hmmm.... it sounds as if I need to purchase these CDs.