Mander Organ Builders Forum

Marcel Dupre

Guest Roffensis

Guest Roffensis

I very much want to find out the date that Marcel Dupre opened the organ where I play in Liverpool. Can anyone enlighten me of a French? source that details his diary? so far I have only the year approx.

Thanks,

R

I very much want to find out the date that Marcel Dupre opened the  organ where I play in Liverpool. Can anyone enlighten me of a French? source that details his diary? so far I have only the year approx.

Thanks,

R

You may be better off contacting the original builder (if the firm still exists) and asking if they have any records from their shop order-books.

I am not sure that a retrospective diary of the playing engagements of Marcel Dupré exists, Richard.

Certainly, I could tell you the dates in 1922 and 1932 when he twice 'opened' the organ of Westminster Cathedral - or perhaps when he recorded at the Queen's Hall - but I have never seen a full list of his British engagements - sorry!

Perhaps someone else out there has....

Guest Roffensis
You may be better off contacting the original builder (if the firm still exists) and asking if they have any records from their shop order-books.

I am not sure that a retrospective diary of the playing engagements of Marcel Dupré exists, Richard.

Certainly, I could tell you the dates in 1922 and 1932 when he twice 'opened' the organ of Westminster Cathedral - or perhaps when he recorded at the Queen's Hall - but I have never seen a full list of his British engagements - sorry!

Perhaps someone else out there has....

Thanks for that, I have actually got the details off the old Hill order books, but nothing about the opening. :D

R

Guest Roffensis
If push comes to shove you could always trawl though the old newspapers at your public library - they will probably be on microfilm. It will be a pretty thankless task of course, unless you can whittle the dates down a bit.

I know!! A long arcuous task!!

R

Guest Barry Williams
I very much want to find out the date that Marcel Dupre opened the  organ where I play in Liverpool. Can anyone enlighten me of a French? source that details his diary? so far I have only the year approx.

Thanks,

R

It would be unusual if the Cathedral did not have an archivist. Why not write directlyt to the catehdral? they may even be able to give you a photocopy of the programme.

Barry Williams

It would be unusual if the Cathedral did not have an archivist.  Why not write directlyt to the catehdral?  they may even be able to give you a photocopy of the programme.

Barry Williams

I think Roffensis is referring to the instrument in his own church - not the mighty Willis in the cathedral.

Guest Roffensis
I think Roffensis is referring to the instrument in his own church - not the mighty Willis in the cathedral.

Yes I am, and I know there is nothing about it in the Cathedral archive for the Archdiocese. Next port of call is the parish archive.

R

Did you try to get some informations from the french 'Association des Amis de l'art de Marcel Dupré' (=Association of the Friends of the Art of M.D.)? You can find them on the internet at www.marceldupre.com (but don't expect too much: last update 19/04/2005 B) )

Guest Roffensis
Did you try to get some informations from the french 'Association des Amis de l'art de Marcel Dupré' (=Association of the Friends of the Art of M.D.)? You can find them on the internet at www.marceldupre.com (but don't expect too much: last update 19/04/2005  B) )

Brilliant!! B)

Thanks for that.

Richard