Mander Organ Builders Forum

Heating Woes

pwhodges

Three famous S-s-s-Sydney W-w-w-w-Watson stammers:

Replying to the enquiry of a finals undergraduate, when Dr Watson was chairman of the examiners: "I have to tell you that you've f-f-f-f-f-passed."

To the choir at the start of a rehearsal before Evensong: "What's on the menu tonight?" <looks at music list> "Ah, m-m-m-m-Me in E."

In a lecture about the Romantic Symphonists: "Now we all know that t-t-t-t-t-Tschaikowsky was a homo-homo-homophonic composer."

On a more organ-related matter, he used to accompany Stanford in A from the orchestral score. Now there's an idea for a more practical ARCO test.

Apologies for any errors in transmission.

Michael

Good story.

I was given a variant : "What on the menu?" "S-S-S-S-S-Syd-in-E"

Making fun out of people with stammers, how nice is that?  :)

Is anyone? I remember Sydney, and his stammer, with great affection. When I was a chorister he was the first person to suspect that I was seriously ill (I had the early stages of TB in fact) - before the school, my parents, or my doctor; I still have his letter to my parents on the subject, explaining why he was putting less responsibility on me than my position in the choir implied. When I was a student I found that he had kept a little homemade card that I had done for him one Easter while a chorister. He was a wonderful man, and I could never ever have thought of him as "Sid", which is why I was surprised by "Sid-in-E". (Actually, in my day the choristers called him "Egghead".)

Paul

Guest Roffensis
Making fun out of people with stammers, how nice is that?  :)

I had a truly terrible stammer in my early years which has long since gone, but many posters on here would doubtless have found that highly amusing?

I don't think the hurt you felt through bullying and being "poked fun" of ever leaves you in later life, but it does make you, I hope, more human and kind, and obviously people who "make fun" of those with stammers reveal themselves for exactly what they are.... and are not. As a Gentleman, I could not possibly say what I think of such people.

Basically the reason I did not make mention of the previous posts before now, is out of pity.

R

I had a truly terrible stammer in my early years which has long since gone, but  many posters on here would doubtless have found that highly amusing?

I don't think the hurt you felt through bullying and being "poked fun" of ever leaves you in later life, but it does make you, I hope, more human and kind, and obviously people who "make fun" of those with stammers reveal themselves for exactly what they are.... and are not. As a Gentleman, I could not possibly say what I think of such people.

Basically the reason I did not make mention of the previous posts before now, is out of pity.

R

The stories I passed on were supposed to convey that it was the stammerer himself who was having the fun; I was in no way making fun of a stammerer. Maybe they lost a little in translation to the written word. Who was that lovely man on Call My Bluff in the '70s who wrote so humourously about his own stammer and the attempts to cure it? What with you, Blick, and the stiff-shirt from the RCO this board is becoming dangerously serious all of a sudden.

Guest delvin146
I gather that at the weekend the heating at Christ Church, Oxford failed.  The Clerk of Works brought in some of those jet-engine-like gas heaters and put them at the west end, behind the organ.  So their full output went up into the back of the organ which I am led to believe is now unplayable; and the piano's gone out of tune too...

Paul

So it's been a week, have they managed to get this hideous heap going yet? Unless this was a deliberate attempt to get rid of it. Seems strange nobody stopped them from putting those flame throwers too close :)

Guest delvin146
Indeed!  I wish a certain participant to this forum would realise that we are aware of his or her presence and don't need to be reminded in large blue text.

O I think we could manage that :) consider it done.

Guest paul@trinitymusic.karoo.co.uk
O I think we could manage that  :)  consider it done.

The nearest to that (now small, blue) hymn-singing might be Joe Grundy in festive mood. Maybe, delvin has unwittingly revealed his 'day job': I think he's a consultant script-writer for The Archers. Explains a lot. Think of the new plot twists he's got up his sleeve......same-sex proposals of marriage and Ruth's affair will be as nothing!

To come in the next few months: Following the appointment of a very Charismatic (and charismatic) new incumbent, the entire Grundy family are touched by The Holy Spirit and 'born-again'! Toronto Blessings abound (whatever happened to them, BTW?) Linda Snell gets militant about New Hymn Books, the Ambridge Choir are suddenly and unceremoniously ousted in favour of congregational Praise Services featuring guitars and drums. I can't wait.

Guest delvin146
The nearest to that (now small, blue) hymn-singing might be Joe Grundy in festive mood. Maybe, delvin has unwittingly revealed his 'day job': I think he's a consultant script-writer for The Archers. Explains a lot. Think of the new plot twists he's got up his sleeve......same-sex proposals of marriage and Ruth's affair will be as nothing!

To come in the next few months: Following the appointment of a very Charismatic (and charismatic) new incumbent, the entire Grundy family are touched by The Holy Spirit and 'born-again'! Toronto Blessings abound (whatever happened to them, BTW?) Linda Snell gets militant about New Hymn Books, the Ambridge Choir are suddenly and unceremoniously ousted in favour of congregational Praise Services featuring guitars and drums. I can't wait.

Have you been drinking? :o:) I was actually wondering if the RCO were looking for a publicity officer?

Have you been drinking?  :o  :) I was actually wondering if the RCO were looking for a publicity officer?

No, an alcohol deficiency is rather more likely.

Go on then.... if your current motto is not Joe Grundy attempting to sing - exactly what is it?

Put my silly comments down to a tiny attempt at levity. Things are currently pretty grim on t'site - daggers drawn with RCO etc.

Who are you suggesting for their publicity officer - me or you? If me, forget it! I could never work either with or for their committee. When I got out of teaching one of my greatest delights was to avoid for ever hereafter all pointless/wearying meetings.

I can hardly wait, myself...

I notice that you omitted to mention the 'church' in Leeds (or somewhere in that vicinity) where the priest indulged in some energetic extra-marital activity with many of the female members of his flock. I am sure that this would liven up the residents of Ambridge even more that a dose of the 'Toronto Blessings'. (I would also be fascinated to learn what became of this religious phenomenon.)

:)

Guest delvin146
No, an alcohol deficiency is rather more likely.

Go on then.... if your current motto is not Joe Grundy attempting to sing - exactly what is it?

Put my silly comments down to a tiny attempt at levity. Things are currently pretty grim on t'site - daggers drawn with RCO etc.

Who are you suggesting for their publicity officer - me or you?  If me, forget it! I could never work either with or for their committee. When I got out of teaching one of my greatest delights was to avoid for ever hereafter all pointless/wearying meetings.

In my method of tone production I aim to keep the sound as far forward as possible with the jaw dropped rather than the sound going to the side. Probably sounds quite stuffy to some, but think back to King's on those old recordings, and yes, it is stuffy. Personally I strongly believe word pronounciation has a direct effect on the tone produced, but I can accept that others will disagree.

If I don't get the job as the RCO's publicity officer maybe we can scout round and find a willing volunteer, but perhaps a PR Officer might be more appropriate at this juncture. :)

In my method of tone production I aim to keep the sound as far forward as possible with the jaw dropped rather than the sound going to the side. Probably sounds quite stuffy to some, but think back to King's on those old recordings, and yes, it is stuffy. Personally I strongly believe word pronounciation has a direct effect on the tone produced, but I can accept that others will disagree.

If I don't get the job as the RCO's publicity officer maybe we can scout round and find a willing volunteer, but perhaps a PR Officer might be more appropriate at this juncture.  :)

It must be me.... I don't find this explanation at all illuminating.

Guest delvin146
It stands to reason that the vowels a singer forms will affect the sound that emerges. Consonants do not affect tone production except by impeding it.

To me, at least, as recently as a few years ago, I would have not really given the tone a second thought. I saw it as a rather dull subject to be honest. Since then, I hope I have come to realise that even the most "musical" choir could fall short of expectations, because of their diction. To me, the head voice and the alteration of word pronounciations are paramount in getting the sound I want. That's not to say it's the sound that every choir master wants.

I'm prepared to stick myself out on a limb and admit I'm probably 50 years out of date, but I can't help that. I have a certain tone preset in my head and it's very difficult to deviate from that. If someone sings "merceeee" instead of "Marcy", for example, I notice straight away. I just can' abide hard vowels, to me it's just unmusical. Yet, who am I to talk, I've never had formal training in these matters apart from once being a parish church choirboy, I just go by what feels right to me. I'm not on my high-horse about this for no reason, and the average person on the street probably couldn't care less. However, I believe that singing in this way generally enchances the music. I'm afraid (with all due respect), "songs of praise" (in general), has gone some way to influencing both choirs and congregations into very bad habits with regard to tempi, diction and tone. Personally I feel many people set their ideals upon programme. I'm very infuenced by the sound of Westminster Abbey choir, Martin Baker as an organist, (I think he's superb), and to quite a large degree old King's. Then again, I'm a very "English" person and I tend to go for traditional things. I'm what I am, I don't necessarily expect everyone to agree with me.

• 3 weeks later...
So it's been a week, have they managed to get this hideous heap going yet? Unless this was a deliberate attempt to get rid of it. Seems strange nobody stopped them from putting those flame throwers too close :lol:

I understand it has all been fixed by a team from Austria (I got this update the day the board went down). My informant tells me that:

(1) many trackers distorted and stuck (more than half the pedal ones, which would have been nearest the heat source).

(2) everything above 4' was unusably out of tune (puzzled by this - I naively expected this machine to be cone-tuned, which would surely be immune).

(3) some reed pipes were put completely off their speech.

Paul

I understand it has all been fixed by a team from Austria (I got this update the day the board went down). My informant tells me that:

(1) many trackers distorted and stuck (more than half the pedal ones, which would have been nearest the heat source).

(2) everything above 4' was unusably out of tune (puzzled by this - I naively expected this machine to be cone-tuned, which would surely be immune).

(3) some reed pipes were put completely off their speech.

It was cone-tuned when it was installed. I spent too much time listening to the on-site voicing and tuning, when I should have been writing essays.

Michael