Mander Organ Builders Forum

Joke And "joke"

Peter Clark

Q. What's the difference between an organist and a terrorist?

A. You can negotiate with a terrorist.

An old joke which we've all heard a few times no doubt, but what about the other "joke" often inflicted on organosts.

How many of us have had to suffer the "have you been playing with your organ today", or variations on it, while trying to enjoy a quiet post-service pint (I assume I'm not alone in following this custom!)? The sad thing is, that eveybody who makes this crack seems to assume that they are the first person to have thought of it.

Regards

Peter

Guest Nigel ALLCOAT
How many of us have had to suffer the "have you been playing with your organ today", or variations on it,

All the time! I just tell people with the straightest of faces (without giving them the satisfaction that I have got their little 'joke), that I practice hard in private during the day before I go public at night.

One most eminent of organists who was being given a Doctorate at one of the great UK universities, had an inuendo too many and stormed off the stage and thus is one Doctorate short. Brava!

Best wishes,

Nigel

Picking up a certain theme from another recent thread, it may be argued that Organists in general really do not do themselves many favours in polite conversation. Being viewed as rather uncommunicative and perhaps a bit strange, I'm surprised that some in the profession are not confronted with more abrasive conversation.

Perhaps professional Organists should take courses in General Management and Public Relations? Perhaps, in the ARCO/FRCO syllabus, such courses should be included? Smiling helps as well, if only now and then :unsure:

Guest Lee Blick
Picking up a certain theme from another recent thread, it may be argued that Organists in general really do not do themselves many favours in polite conversation. Being viewed as rather uncommunicative and perhaps a bit strange, I'm surprised that some in the profession are not confronted with more abrasive conversation.

Perhaps professional Organists should take courses in General Management and Public Relations? Perhaps, in the ARCO/FRCO syllabus, such courses should be included? Smiling helps as well, if only now and then :unsure:

How about a new RCO qualification: the 'FRACOF' ;)

Q. What's the definition of a gentleman?

A. An organist who can play the works of Tournemire, but doesn't.

Q. How many cathedral organists does it take to change a light bulb?

A. Change? What change?

=============================

How about a new joke:-

How many Dutch organists does it take to change a light-bulb?

Answer: Fifteen. One to remove the blown one, the second to unscrew the fitting,

the third one to fit new fittings, and the fourth to light the candles.

The remaining eleven then meet to discuss whether the candle-holders are historically-informed replicas.

MM

=============================

How about a new joke:-

How many Dutch organists does it take to change a light-bulb?

Answer: Fifteen. One to remove the blown one, the second to unscrew the fitting,

the third one to fit new fittings, and the fourth to light the candles.

The remaining eleven then meet to discuss whether the candle-holders are historically-informed replicas.

MM

Organists need to lighten up a bit to use the American expression. Is no wonder that some people view us as looking through rose tinted specs etc. Theres no status or Title as some people seem to think. And another thing too its the whole image thing. Not so long ago there was a article in a daily News paper describing Organists as the Hush puppy lot with tinted specs dare I say the old deer hunters hat ! Dunn & Co suit etc and dont forget the tin of mints and brief case. Almost laughable splitting my sides now !! Come on whats wrong with a little humour u stuffy lot !

Organists need to lighten up a bit to use the American expression.  Is no wonder that some people view us as looking through rose tinted specs etc.  Theres no status or Title as  some people seem to think.  And another thing too its the whole image thing.  Not so long ago there was a article in a daily News paper describing Organists as the Hush puppy lot with tinted specs dare I say the old deer hunters hat !  Dunn & Co suit etc and dont forget the tin of mints and brief case.  Almost laughable splitting my sides now !! Come on whats wrong with a little humour u stuffy lot !

=======================

Well I do try to be amusing from time to time, and I am anything but stuffy, but I take great exception to your comments about Dunn & Co suits and a brief-case, which I had for many years when I worked in the City. I've still got one of the old Dunn suits, but we've moved over to lighter "Italian jobs" since the Gieves & Hawk replacement died a death.

Nothing wrong with Mint Imperials also, even if they do roll about a bit when they spill on the chancel floor.

The large briefcase had to go, when I was forced to enter it by the unusual means of a hacksaw; having lost the key to the high-security lock!

MM

• 1 year later...

Bdelieve it or not, I recently had another "have you been playing (with) your organ today?" remark from someone I had never met before but who had been told that "an organist" will be joining us soon for a pint. I am convinced that this prson thoght he was being original. Unfiortunately I snapped, bearing in mind Barry Williams and Rober Leach's wise words in their book that the jokes and those who make them about playing with your organ (and playing with choirboys, they also go on to say) are tasteless and sad.

Has anyone else recently suffered?

Peter

So far as the "choirboy" remark is concerned, I think that the reply should be - "If that's what you think, I'll see you in court...." :angry:

:huh:

It wouldn't happen here because we are an adult choir (though with three teenage girls). As I have remarked before on this forum, the usual route - the school - seems to have been cut off to us a long tiome before I took up the post.

Peter

When I was organist of All Saints Tooting, we prided ourselves on the size and magnificence of our organ (fnarr fnarr).

Despite this, a visiting, very earnest, German student looked at it and remarked that 'it's not very big'.

Our then churchwarden, who did a nice line in Kenneth Williams campery replied that 'we have never had any complaints'.

How we laughed.

M

Our newborn doesn't seem to mind being held in one hand while the other and the feet work on Trio Sonata No.2. This is just as well, as a c-section takes quite a while to heal, and Mrs CB gets tired easily at the moment. It looks therefore very much as though I shall have to make do with one handed organ practice until she has fully recovered from her operation.

Our newborn doesn't seem to mind being held in one hand while the other and the feet work on Trio Sonata No.2. This is just as well, as a c-section takes quite a while to heal, and Mrs CB gets tired easily at the moment. It looks therefore very much as though I shall have to make do with one handed organ practice until she has fully recovered from her operation.

Groan!

You just wait - my girls are 9 and 7 and when Mrs AJJ 'instructs' me to take one to church because the two are scrapping - then the fun starts. During hymns the music starts moving around the console, cuddly toys are lost over the choir stalls and the latest joke book is read out far from sotto voce during the sermon. Then of course there is the lack of toilet facilities any nearer than the pub next door!

AJJ

Congrats. on the latest addition to the CB household by the way!

Please don't take organist/organ jokes too personally. Cellists and Double Bassists taking their instruments on public transport frequently get the "I bet you wish you played the flute!" or "How do you get that under your chin?" hardy perennials from wise guys who think they are hilarious new gags.

Howard Goodall's programme was called Howard Goodall's Organ Works, after all. (I think.)