Mander Organ Builders Forum

Michelin Stars For Organists Chm's?

DQB123

From the other side of the great divide....

Paul Derrett, he say ....

I realise that very soon after this possible site got going [ie Michelin Stars for Vicars (Ed.)], there would have to be a rival site run by clerics where 'weird church musician' stories could be aired.

Well this is it folks.....

A quote I often reflect on is one of Roy Massey's

'I love the Lord, but I can't stand his friends!'

Ah yes...........

Like the good Professor P*nd*r, who wished to play the first hymn at Remembrance Sunday to that lovely tune by F J Haydn....... ;)

Q

Guest paul@trinitymusic.karoo.co.uk
From the other side of the great divide....

Paul Derrett, he say ....

I realise that very soon after this possible site got going [ie Michelin Stars for Vicars (Ed.)], there would have to be a rival site run by clerics where 'weird church musician' stories could be aired.

Well this is it folks.....

A quote I often reflect on is one of Roy Massey's

'I love the Lord, but I can't stand his friends!'

Ah yes...........

Like the good Professor P*nd*r, who wished to play the first hymn at Remembrance Sunday to that lovely tune by F J Haydn....... ;)

Q

You won't believe this, but our cleric also put this one down for Remem (last year)! There is an alternative tune, of course. He's a decent man; I know I'm one of the lucky ones. Oh I could tell you some wonderful clergy stories. Sample coming up:

Everyone ought to know the one about Jonathan Rennert's last vicar at St.Michael's Cornhill in the City of London. He now has Revd.Peter Mullen of the Prayer Book Society and they're both onto a good thing! Anyway, Revd.Mullen's predecessor refused to take more than two services a year and forbad anyone else from taking any in his place. He knew his legal rights and played very carefully within them.

For a period of several years while he was incumbent [thinks: what an appropriate word in the cicumstances!] St.Michael's Cornhill enjoyed a grand total of two said services per year - both at 8am. The choir kept together by singing in other places (notably St.Luke's Chelsea). The organ recitals carried on as normal.

Nobody could do anything about it and they were all stumped from the Bishop of London downwards. At last they made this great and holy man an offer he couldn't refuse - not a concrete overcoat but (of all things) a CofE living in the South of France. He went. Services have been resumed!