Mander Organ Builders Forum

Improviation With Peal

Guest Roffensis

Guest Roffensis
Actually if you dig out the tapes of Brian Wilson's "Smile" album (begun in 1966, put away in 1967 and completed in 2003) much of it sounds very like this.

Really? that's a hoot! As of Beach Boys fame?! I haven't got that recording however. I wonder if anyone knows where this organ was recorded?

R

Guest Roffensis
Goodness me, this is the worst thing I have ever listened to. Roffensis, is this your handywork? :blink:

What on earth makes you think that?

R

Guest Roffensis
Do we really want to know?

Well I do. It sounds a bit like Christchurch, Oxford? although perhaps not so screamy, coarse, and tinny? I could be wrong. Mind you, the action sounds a bit noisy. Whoever is playing it has quite a pedal technique anyway, and some very interesting chromatic harmonies there, most creative, which quite put me in mind of Messiaen.

R

Guest Roffensis
Judging from the recalcitrant cigarette lighter and the (entirely understandable) whimperings, in someone's lounge.

I heard that as well. I thought it was someone wailing in church? I also noticed what sounds like a lighter. I wonder how many organists smoke at their consoles, and how they play at the same time as lighting up? It sounds like a remix to me. Very odd. Mind you, as relevant as an Imp. on some tacky nursery rhyme or something, and actually quite restrained compared to some drivel. Daring even. And who would want an organ like that in their lounge?

R

To me it sounds (very definitely) like a harmonium with a cypher. I'd be very surprised if there is any pipe organ connection whatsoever.

I've tried the recording twice and can't bear to hear the whole thing through - not even if the piece improves from a fairly dismal/manic start - surely this can only be the recording of an impromptu 'thrash-about' posted for a giggle?

Guest Roffensis
To me it sounds (very definitely) like a harmonium with a cypher. I'd be very surprised if there is any pipe organ connection whatsoever.

I've tried the recording twice and can't bear to hear the whole thing through - not even if the piece improves from a fairly dismal/manic start - surely this can only be the recording of an impromptu 'thrash-about' posted for a giggle?

I'm not so sure. It seems like a very genuine French Improvisation in the style of the great masters. I wonder if there was a lot of activity about when it was done? which would account for the odd extraneous sounds? and there is certainly a Carillon going on there that is clearly a great basilican belfry or something like that. Thinking on, even Tom Quad can't match that. It really is a curiosity.

R

I'm not so sure. It seems like a very genuine French Improvisation in the style of the great masters. I wonder if there was a lot of activity about when it was done? which would account for the odd extraneous sounds? and there is certainly a Carillon going on there that is clearly a great basilican belfry or something like that. Thinking on, even Tom Quad can't match that. It really is a curiosity.

R

The activity ( Noises Off) is surely the effort of pumping the harmonium to keep it going.

Guest Barry Oakley

R

Are you sure the so-called carillon is not a mantlepiece clock throwing a wobbler? But that aside, what a damned awful noise!

It seems like a very genuine French Improvisation in the style of the great masters.
You're pulling our legs, surely? :)

I thought it was a harmonium too until the point where what sounds like mixtures kick in. Do harmoniums have that sort of sound? But I don't know anything about reed organs. Could well be one. Seems to have a pedlboard at any rate (assuming it's not been reduced to matchsticks by the thunderous stampings).

Well I do. It sounds a bit like Christchurch, Oxford? although perhaps not so screamy, coarse, and tinny? I could be wrong. Mind you, the action sounds a bit noisy. Whoever is playing it has quite a pedal technique anyway, and some very interesting chromatic harmonies there, most creative, which quite put me in mind of Messiaen.

R

Nah, definately not Christchurch Oxford. I thought it might be a Hope-Jones, with that tremulant and funny sounds and wind supply. Christchurch has more chiff, more gedacts and less strings - oh, and it's a musical instrument...

However, this american reed organ is definately perfect for the works of Caleb Simper...

I take it that if this organ were a chorister it would have perfect head-tone?

Guest Roffensis
I take it that if this organ were a chorister it would have perfect head-tone?

No, but if it were a Chorister, it would be representative of a lot of choirs today though!

R