Mander Organ Builders Forum

Vierne Scores Available

headcase

Straying even further off subject, I also have a treasured CD, FYCD 019, entitled "Les Offices du Dimanche a Notre-Dame de Paris" consisting of organ improvisations (Cochereau), incantations and choral items recorded live during Sunday offices. I think its just amazing. Does anyone else have this?
Yes. I'm not over-impressed with the singing, but PC is well on form. It beats me how anyone can think that fast.

Can someone tell me what label the Sacre Couer recording is on, please, it's one recording that's passed me by. Many thanks. I assume that the Grunenwald is not available as a recording. I recently bought the CD of Saint-Martin's Mass for choir, two organs and brass at Notre Dame (Cochereau et al) - that blows the dust around a bit.

It's a MOTETTE recording.

Amazon has it here:

Vierne: Messe Solennelle

Grunenwald's was recently recorded at St Sulpice.

I cannot recommend this CD enough. The Tradition of St. Sulpice

Daniel Roth's improvisation on the Kyrie Orbis Factor is overwhelming. The whole CD really brings to light the French choral tradition which is rather neglected. The Grunenwald 'Tu es Petrus' has some glorious harmonies and the Grande Orgue entry at 'Et portae inferi' is fantastically 'horror film-esque'.

Les Offices du Dimanche a Notre-Dame de Paris is an incredible recording, the highlight being the Gloria de Angelis in alternatim with cantor and choir (plus PC). Cochereau's improvising over the Eucharistic Prayer is a fantastically ethereal effect too. The sortie on Kyrie Orbis Factor has more notes than I thought was possible.

I think those people who believe Cochereau gets very repetitive and constantly reuses the same formula of hair-raising scherzi on the Flutes Harmonique and big fugues dissolving into toccatas etc. really have to listen to more liturgical Cochereau as well as Cochereau in concert-mode.

These recordings in particular:

Cochereau: Un Testament Musical

Cochereau: The Liturgie

Sunday Offices in Notre-Dame de Paris

JG

<snip>

Straying even further off subject, I also have a treasured CD, FYCD 019, entitled "Les Offices du Dimanche a Notre-Dame de Paris" consisting of organ improvisations (Cochereau), incantations and choral items recorded live during Sunday offices. I think its just amazing. Does anyone else have this?

I have it and agree it's stunning. It came (s/hand) with another disk 'Grand Heures Liturgiques a Notre-Dame' FYCD01 which includes the same kind of mixture but non-eucharistic - Te Deum, Magnificat and some of the great Hymns - O Filii, Victimae Pachali, Veni Sancte Spirius etc with improvised 'alternatim verses and a postlude on an Alleluia by Mawby.

It's a MOTETTE recording.

Amazon has it here:

Vierne: Messe Solennelle

Grunenwald's was recently recorded at St Sulpice.

I cannot recommend this CD enough. The Tradition of St. Sulpice

Daniel Roth's improvisation on the Kyrie Orbis Factor is overwhelming. The whole CD really brings to light the French choral tradition which is rather neglected. The Grunenwald 'Tu es Petrus' has some glorious harmonies and the Grande Orgue entry at 'Et portae inferi' is fantastically 'horror film-esque'.

JG

This is also recommended:

http://www.cduniverse.com/search/xx/music/...r%E9,+et+al.htm

It shows that Grunenwald was highly gifted in the art of improvisation - and quite different in style to many of his contemporaries.

I have it and agree it's stunning. It came (s/hand) with another disk 'Grand Heures Liturgiques a Notre-Dame' FYCD01 which includes the same kind of mixture but non-eucharistic - Te Deum, Magnificat and some of the great Hymns - O Filii, Victimae Pachali, Veni Sancte Spirius etc with improvised 'alternatim verses and a postlude on an Alleluia by Mawby.

There are some good movements.

For anyone who may be interested, I can supply a list of around twenty or thirty CDs (some doubles) of examples of improvisations by Pierre Cochereau - both liturgical and concert.

Many show clearly that he was definitely not a 'one-trick' improviser. Amongst others, I can recommend the double CD set of improvisations made, I believe, in the summer of 1969, on the small two-clavier 'touring organ', which was built at his request.

There are also CDs on the Philips label, including a re-mastering of the original recording of Cochereau's own Berceuse in memory of Louis Vierne, the Alouette variations and a number of other pieces.

There is also a fairly rare CD, recorded in Italy (as far as I can remember) on which there are some improvisations and a CD recorded in Cologne Cathedral, which includes a substantial improvisation on the Veni Creator theme.

Thanks to those who gave the number of the Sacre Couer Vierne mass, obviously a must. I discovered that on the Motette website there are brief extracts from every single track. I also have the CD La Tradition de Saint-Sulpice on IFO and can highly recommend it, one of those CDs one can press the "repeat" button endlessly. Off topic (as they say) but I was fortunate to stand behind Grunenwald while he was playing a service at St Sulpice just two weeks before he died, he didn't seem well then, but it was one of the most moving experiences I've had listening to organs and will always stay with me. I later discovered that a visiting American was recording his playing that day (and the next, it was All Souls/All Saints)and I got him to send me a copy. Wonderful.

Not trying to undermine Headcase's kind offer, of course, but I feel moved to point out that Vierne's entire oeuvre comes out of copyright this year - he died in 1937. Therefore, provided that the score you copy has been in print for more than twenty-five years, you can simply take anything you want to the machine without either shame or fear of prosecution.

Don't forget his old master Charles-Marie, who died in 1937, too!

Actually, French copyright law is a bit more complicated, since it has special "war clauses", which extends the standard 70 year period by 8 years and 120 days for all works published before January 1st, 1948, and by an additional 6 years and 152 days for all works published before December 31st, 1920.

So I'm afraid the French will have to be patient for another couple of years (almost 15 for the first three symphonies and the Pièces en Style Libre, and 8 for the rest)!

Worse yet, if the author has died as a French soldier in battle, then there is a further extension of 30 years. As I understand it, this clause applies to Jehan Alain (who died in battle in 1940), whose works (published in 1943) will therefore not fall into the public domain before...2048! :rolleyes:

I don't know, however, if similar clauses exist in the copyright laws of other countries.

Perhaps he was as good in Latin than I was... :rolleyes:

Perhaps the point is, Mulet is punning too!

The Sacre Coeur itself is built on a rock - Montmartre.