Mander Organ Builders Forum

Wedding Music (2)

Peter Clark

Guest Roffensis
Tuba on Parade by John Marsh can be found in 'Soloing the Stops' published by Kevin Mayhew.

Delightful.

How about "Tuba in the bin" and some proper music instead rather than parping away on such noxious stops?

R :unsure:

Guest Andrew Butler

I'm obviously labelling myself as a "parper", but I actually quite like a lot of the pieces in this collection!

I too have played "Match Of The Day" at a funeral on a couple of occasions.

A couple of years ago, I was "persuaded" by a bride ( a widow remarrying) to commence the recessional music (Finale from The Fireworks) and instead of repeating the first 8 bars, to substitute "Nobody loves a fairy when shes forty" on suitable registration (it was a 1-manual, so it was on 4' flute alone). She assured me the congregation would see the joke. They did!

Match of the Day has a very distinguished pedigree.

Cardinal Basil Hume asked for it to be played at Westminster Cathedral at his Requiem Mass. I am told the organist (Martin Baker ?) obliged, albeit in a suitably uplifted form.

M

I find many wedding couples come up with the most inappropriate things that they've found on some cheap wedding compilation cd.

At A. N. Other church in our deanery, the bride's mother once phoned to demand that the organist played "Number 5". The organist (fortunately not me) was a little puzzled as to what this might mean - presumably the Toccata from Widor 5? Er, no. Actually they wanted track 5 from the particular Cheap Wedding Compilation CD they happened to have bought. Presumably they didn't quite grasp that there might be more than 15 pieces of organ music in existence.

Strangest one I've ever been asked for was a set of variations on 'If I Were A Butterfly' during the registers.

At A. N. Other church in our deanery, the bride's mother once phoned to demand that the organist played "Number 5". The organist (fortunately not me) was a little puzzled as to what this might mean - presumably the Toccata from Widor 5? Er, no. Actually they wanted track 5 from the particular Cheap Wedding Compilation CD they happened to have bought. Presumably they didn't quite grasp that there might be more than 15 pieces of organ music in existence.

Strangest one I've ever been asked for was a set of variations on 'If I Were A Butterfly' during the registers.

I've been asked for 'Widor's Toccata & Fugue in F Minor' - I was tempted to play the opening of Symphony 4 rather than sorting out if they meant JSB in d or CMW in F!!

Guest Andrew Butler
I've been asked for 'Widor's Toccata & Fugue in F Minor' - I was tempted to play the opening of Symphony 4 rather than sorting out if they meant JSB in d or CMW in F!!

I've been asked for "Widor's Toccata in D Minor" and, believe it or not, for "Bach's Toccata from Symphony No 5" !

Not that long ago, I was booked, a year in advance, to play for a wedding at a church without a resident organist. The bride wanted to come in to a Schubert song, sung by a relative, with me accompanying on the piano. to which I agreed. I subsequently had to back out, due to discovering that my stepdaughter's Graduation was on the same day. Another organist was found easily, but he refused the piano accompaniment. They had to hire a piano accompanist for the Schubert, who charged £200, and the bride's mother subsequently threatened to sue me for breach of contract, as I had agreed to do everything for my normal wedding fee of £ 75.00!

The thing is - what would they have said initially if I had quoted £275?!

What did she ask for....'Erlkonig'?!

Yea...what a wonderful choice...

how does it go now?

'Who rides there so late....'

perfect for a wedding.

Guest Lee Blick
Delightful.

How about "Tuba in the bin" and some proper music instead rather than parping away on such noxious stops?

R :D

Im sure you could play the piece using the Double Farthorn stop you have on your organ. :lol:

I played 'with a pair of sparkling eyes?' at a funeral last year. (By request, I hasten to add)

Ah, but have you ever had both 'Mack the knife' and 'D'Ya ken John Peel'?

I had to play both of these for a funeral (on a T.C.Lewis, away from home) a year or two back!

Mind you, the fee was good.

Thinks: are we now all playing 'the Organist version' of the famous Monty Python Four Yorkshiremen sketch?