Mander Organ Builders Forum

Dresden Hofkirche - Silbermann Organ

James Goldrick

I recently bought a CD of Herbert Tachezi playing Bach on the Silbermann organ of the Dresden Hofkirche.

It was a rather uninspiring recording of the Bach greatest hits (T&F in Dm, T,A&F in C, Passacaglia etc.), but I'm assuming it was recorded before the most recent restoration.

What is the state of this organ nowadays, and how does it compare to the examples in Freiberg[edited] etc.?

JG

I recently bought a CD of Herbert Tachezi playing Bach on the Silbermann organ of the Dresden Hofkirche.

It was a rather uninspiring recording of the Bach greatest hits (T&F in Dm, T,A&F in C, Passacaglia etc.), but I'm assuming it was recorded before the most recent restoration.

What is the state of this organ nowadays, and how does it compare to the examples in Freiburg etc.?

JG

During the last renovation (2001/2002) the major task was to restore the old pitch (415 Hz, well-tempered) and to reconstruct the wind supply (manual or electric at choice).

Works were carried out by the two companies, Jehmlich and Wegescheider. Pictures and technical informations are available at the Jehmlich homepage, where also informations about the Freiberg organs can be found (note that Freiberg and Freiburg are two different towns!).

Jehmlich

There is a fantastic CD available from the Horos label, Dresden (Horos CD 21102). Three pieces -- Böhm, Partita "Freu dich sehr"; Bach, Pièce d'orgue; Messiaen, Apparition de l'église éternelle (!) -- were recorded before and after the restoration, with the organist -- Hansjürgen Scholze -- using the exact same registrations, and the recording engineer placing the mikes in the same way for both recordings. That way, remote control in hand, you can compare before-after directly. It's stunning, it really is.

On the CD Inlay, Horos just give their phone and fax numbers (+49-351-5 63 37-77, -78) and an E-Mail address (info@horos.de). They are on the web at http://www.horos.de.

Best,

Friedrich