Mander Organ Builders Forum

Worcester Cathedral

Lucasorg

I've been told that the naked piano legs thing is a myth. Yes, the Victorians made covers for piano legs but they were to protect the beautiful wood from accidental knocks, not the moral rectitude of the observer. I have done no research on this and no less a mind than Tom Stoppard's has repeated the myth, but myth I believe it to be. :unsure:

Michael

==========================

You obviously never met "Great Aunt Muriel" (See my infamous Christmas story "The Ox and Ass")

Underneath that long black dress was a one-woman Bechstein.......shoulders like a Bison.

:)

MM

• Replies 772
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well - just one final question:

How did you manage to take the photographs at the top of the transept case - particularly the close shots of the tops of the metal case-pipes? There is apparently no scaffolding in the transept and it looks as if the triforium gallery would be too far away to afford such clear views.

You might think that I have very long legs... :rolleyes:

Actually, there is access at Clerestory level on the West side of the South West Transept from which an excellent view is possible...providing you don't suffer from vertigo! There is not much to assist you if you feel dizzy up there but, as you can see, it's well worth the effort of going up there.

A

You might think that I have very long legs... :rolleyes:

Actually, there is access at Clerestory level on the West side of the South West Transept from which an excellent view is possible...providing you don't suffer from vertigo! There is not much to assist you if you feel dizzy up there but, as you can see, it's well worth the effort of going up there.

A

Thank you, Adrian.

Guest Cynic
O come on, we must be able to do better than that! Plural noun for a collection of cathedral organists anybody?

Organistas plenas?

(just a feeble start - sure MM will find something, at least)

Actually, I thought it was good - Lucas as in motor spares - batteries etc.?

I thought it was officially a 'Swell' of organists.

From what I have heard of the Diaphones, getting anything from a "normal" organ to blend with them would be pretty much impossible.

I recall a fascinating conversation with Christopher Robinson a few years back about the old Tuba Profunda from the Hope-Jones pedal department which survived until the early 1970s. I believe this was double tongued and of immense proportions...enough to be heard from the other end of Gloucestershire, I should imagine.

Does anyone on this board have any personal recollections of this stop?

A

No, but Schoenstein will build a pair this year.

Wondering if they blend ...

Guest Roffensis

Dear Mr Lucas,

Just to ask you, have you ever heard "Instructions for Angels" by Mike Oldfield (electric Guitar) and David Bedford on the organ at Worcester? It's on CD, I have it, it's actually really good. Very effective!

Not everyday you would hear an electric Guitar in Worcester Cathedral!!!

I just wondered if you know it!

Best,

Richard.

Just to ask you, have you ever heard "Instructions for Angels" by Mike Oldfield (electric Guitar) and David Bedford on the organ at Worcester? It's on CD, I have it, it's actually really good. Very effective!

Not everyday you would hear an electric Guitar in Worcester Cathedral!!!

It's a new one on me - how long ago was it recorded....??

Out on interest, do you know the John Harle disk Silencium part of which was recorded with the choristers of Worcester in the Chapter House (about 10 years ago...) and is another example of slightly unusual sounds from a Cathedral environment.

Cheers,

A

Guest Roffensis

Out on interest, do you know the John Harle disk Silencium part of which was recorded with the choristers of Worcester in the Chapter House (about 10 years ago...) and is another example of slightly unusual sounds from a Cathedral environment.

Cheers,

A

Hi!

Off the top of my head it was in the 70s.

R

Hi!

Off the top of my head it was in the 70s.

R

This is interesting, Richard. It is fascinating to note the number of rock (and jazz) musicians who have used good pipe organs as part of the sound palettes of their recorded performances. There was, for example, Keith Jarrett, who recorded an album on which he played the H&H organ of the RFH. Someone a while ago, mentioned a recording which featured the Willis/H&H organ of Lincoln Cathedral. There was also, I believe, a further recording on the RFH organ - was this by Pink Floyd?

Does anyone know of any others?

This is interesting, Richard. It is fascinating to note the number of rock (and jazz) musicians who have used good pipe organs as part of the sound palettes of their recorded performances. There was, for example, Keith Jarrett, who recorded an album on which he played the H&H organ of the RFH. Someone a while ago, mentioned a recording which featured the Willis/H&H organ of Lincoln Cathedral. There was also, I believe, a further recording on the RFH organ - was this by Pink Floyd?

Yes - I found the following on Wikipedia:

"Rick Wakeman of British progressive rock group Yes also used pipe organ to excellent effect in a number of the group's albums (including "Close To The Edge" and "Going For The One"). Wakeman has also used pipe organ in his solo pieces such as "Jane Seymour" from The Six Wives Of Henry VIII and "Judas Iscariot" from Criminal Record. Even more recently, he has recorded an entire album of organ pieces - "Rick Wakeman at Lincoln Cathedral"."

Graham

"Rick Wakeman of British progressive rock group Yes also used pipe organ to excellent effect in a number of the group's albums (including "Close To The Edge" and "Going For The One"). Wakeman has also used pipe organ in his solo pieces such as "Jane Seymour" from The Six Wives Of Henry VIII and "Judas Iscariot" from Criminal Record. Even more recently, he has recorded an entire album of organ pieces - "Rick Wakeman at Lincoln Cathedral"."

Graham

Thank you, Graham.

:unsure:

I have an excellent disc of Keith Jarrett and Michala Petri playing Bach recorder sonatas, KJ on the harpsichord. He's not just a jazz musician.

Guest Roffensis

There was another from St. Alban's Abbey, my brother had it and asked me what was so special about that particular organ, but which group/record it was I don't know. Maybe Hawkwind, Osibisa or the like, knowing him!! We don't speak now so I wont be checking!!! Of course Rick Wakeman "Six Wives", and also Yes, "Close to the edge", both at St Gile's Cripplegate. And a luvley "Classic Rock" LP in the 70s with Whiter shade of pale on it, from Ely Minster. Lovely!!!!...........well.....cheesy!..........

R

Cheers,

A

Oh! sorry I forgot to reply, I don't know that choral recording. It all makes fro a change doesn't it!!

The Art Of Noise also recorded some choral stuff at Ely Cathedral.

R

Graham

I am looking at the Rick Wakeman recording now, have been a big fan of Ricks ever since I was nowt but a lad and nearly saw him record "Journey to the Centre of the Earth" back in the 70's (mum would not let me go to London ). The Lincoln recording is ok, its just a shame the quality is not as good as Priory or another company used to recording organs in a big acoustic. The Jane Seymour piece was done at St. Giles Cripplegate and works really well with the Mini Moog synths

regards.

Peter