Mander Organ Builders Forum

Worcester Cathedral

Lucasorg

Thank you very much for sharing yet more photos with us.

Three observations if I may;

a. The design of the side case returns seems to have changed from the drawings on Tickell's web site to now include a pipe(s), and

b. Whilst the stop spec on Tickell's web site makes mention of coupling the Transept Gt & Sw to various keyboards nothing is mentioned about the Pedal stops. Is there no drawstop to put the Transept Pedal organ On & Off?

c. Will the Choir console have drawstops for the Transept organ or will stop control be only by pistons?

Thanks

PJW

• Replies 772
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

a. The design of the side case returns seems to have changed from the drawings on Tickell's web site to now include a pipe(s)

I don't think the design has changed, but my recollection is that the "artist's impression" picture left out that particular detail. When I have a minute, I will look back through the drawings which are not currently to hand. I must say, however, that the detail of this single pipe on the ends of each case is a lovely touch and typical of the attention to design that Ken pays in his work.

b. Whilst the stop spec on Tickell's web site makes mention of coupling the Transept Gt & Sw to various keyboards nothing is mentioned about the Pedal stops. Is there no drawstop to put the Transept Pedal organ On & Off?

When the Transept organ is available (in due course, not immediately), all the stops will be playable via stops on the Quire console. The transept pedal will simply operate by drawing the relevant stops - because there is only one pedal board - yet the manual stops could be playable from different manuals on this console.

c. Will the Choir console have drawstops for the Transept organ or will stop control be only by pistons?

Stop knobs!

Hope that helps.

Adrian

I don't think the design has changed, but my recollection is that the "artist's impression" picture left out that particular detail. When I have a minute, I will look back through the drawings which are not currently to hand. I must say, however, that the detail of this single pipe on the ends of each case is a lovely touch and typical of the attention to design that Ken pays in his work.

Adrian

Thanks for this (and the two other answers). By "drawings" I meant the "artists impression" . I do not wish to cause you additional work and am happy to accept it was left out.

It is a good job you have a head for heights or we would not have such an enjoyable set of pictures to view. Thanks one more.

PJW

Amazing as ever - 'quick question - is the Great HP chest for the reeds alone?

Hi Alastair,

I had to go back to Ken for the details on this one....he says....

"Yes, and they are supplied with two different pressures. The Great reeds are towards the back, and have a slider chest with conventional pallet, fed with wind at 125mm. The Tuba, which is right at the front, is an electro-pneumatic purse action chest, fed with wind at 350mm. The wells of the two soundboards are obviously kept separate from each other, likewise any connecting trunks which people might see have an internal division to keep the pressures separate. Although they may look like one chest, they are in fact two separate constructions, which are bolted together."

That should be enough detail!!

A

Hi Alastair,

I had to go back to Ken for the details on this one....he says....

"Yes, and they are supplied with two different pressures. The Great reeds are towards the back, and have a slider chest with conventional pallet, fed with wind at 125mm. The Tuba, which is right at the front, is an electro-pneumatic purse action chest, fed with wind at 350mm. The wells of the two soundboards are obviously kept separate from each other, likewise any connecting trunks which people might see have an internal division to keep the pressures separate. Although they may look like one chest, they are in fact two separate constructions, which are bolted together."

That should be enough detail!!

A

Thanks for your trouble over this Adrian

A

Today's set of pictures are ready for you here.

Next week, we are expecting a big delivery early in the week with sections of the console, some facade pipes, further parts for the casework etc. I'll keep you posted!

A

Today's set of pictures are ready for you here.

Next week, we are expecting a big delivery early in the week with sections of the console, some facade pipes, further parts for the casework etc. I'll keep you posted!

A

Thank you for another set of good-quality photographs, Adrian. I am looking forward to seeing the console when it arrives.

Are the façade pipes constructed from tin, or are they spotted metal - or even diapered?

Are the façade pipes constructed from tin, or are they spotted metal - or even diapered?

The facade pipes are tin - though you may not see them in position for a few weeks as the rest of the organ has to go in "through the front door" before these are mostly in place. Some of the less prominent ones may well be in situ soon, though protected to avoid finger marks.

A

The facade pipes are tin - though you may not see them in position for a few weeks as the rest of the organ has to go in "through the front door" before these are mostly in place. Some of the less prominent ones may well be in situ soon, though protected to avoid finger marks.

A

Thank you. Adrian

• 2 weeks later...

The latest batch of photos is now up and available to see here. The console now looks like a console and work on the casework and winding now nears completion. Electrical work is moving ahead at speed and we are looking towards the first pipes being installed in somewhere around 2 weeks' time, providing there are no complications along the way. If you're scared of heights, some of these latest shots may well be your best way of seeing some of the "high" points of the cathedral!

Best wishes,

Adrian

The latest batch of photos is now up and available to see here. The console now looks like a console and work on the casework and winding now nears completion. Electrical work is moving ahead at speed and we are looking towards the first pipes being installed in somewhere around 2 weeks' time, providing there are no complications along the way. If you're scared of heights, some of these latest shots may well be your best way of seeing some of the "high" points of the cathedral!

Best wishes,

Adrian

Thanks yet again - any chance please of the spec. for the Transept organ as it is now in full public view!

AJJ

Thanks yet again - any chance please of the spec. for the Transept organ as it is now in full public view!

Sure - I'll dig it out - give me a few days as I have a mountain of Three Choirs and Citychoir stuff to get through over the next 10 days or so.

Best wishes

Adrian

Excellent photos as usual.

One small query, I was interested in the layout of the toe pistons and wondered where the stepper or sequencer pistons were to be found. (I'm assuming there will be one of these systems fitted.) Would it be correct to assume that the pistons immediately to the left and right of the expression pedals will be for Swell-Great and Great-Pedal respectively, if so where will that leave the + piston?

Neil

Sure - I'll dig it out - give me a few days as I have a mountain of Three Choirs and Citychoir stuff to get through over the next 10 days or so.

Best wishes

Adrian

Lovely console, very attractive.

Jonathan

TRANSEPT ORGAN SPECIFICATION

TRANSEPT GREAT

Bourdon 16

Open Diapason 8

Stopped Diapason 8

Principal 4

Wald Flute 4

Fifteenth 2

Cornet III

Mixture III

Trumpet 8

Clarinet 8

Swell to Great

TRANSEPT SWELL

Open Diapason 8

Gedeckt 8

Salicional 8

Voix Celeste 8

Gemshorn 4

Nason Flute 4

Fifteenth 2

Mixture III

Contra Fagotto 16

Cornopean 8

Oboe 8

Tremulant

Octave

Sub Octave

Unison Off

TRANSEPT PEDAL

Double Open Diapason 32

Double Open Wood 32

Open Wood 16

Violone 16

Gedeckt 16

Bourdon 16 from Transept Great

Principal 8

Bass Flute 8

Fifteenth 4

Trombone 16

Are the stop jambs and keyframes really going to be left that colour?

The stop jambs are Maple with Blackwood inlays - very beautiful and, in a slightly dim corner of a dark cathedral, a touch of refreshing lightness.

A

One small query, I was interested in the layout of the toe pistons and wondered where the stepper or sequencer pistons were to be found. (I'm assuming there will be one of these systems fitted.) Would it be correct to assume that the pistons immediately to the left and right of the expression pedals will be for Swell-Great and Great-Pedal respectively, if so where will that leave the + piston?

The two pistons either side of the swell pedals are the normal Sw to Gt on the left, and Gt to Ped on the right. There is also a small button on the stop jambs which, when pressed, converts these to Retard and Advance respectively. There is also a facility - All Pistons Next - which when that button is engaged makes every piston on the console into an advance piston.

As for the sequencer, the player has a choice of a simple stepper through the general pistons and levels, or to engage the independent sequencer which allows inserts of steps, etc...again this is selectable with a small push button on the jambs.

A (with thanks to Ken Tickell)

Exciting stuff - thanks Adrian. (Presumng also that the two pedal doubles are 32s not 16s?)

AJJ

Yes, indeed - my mistake and now corrected on the spec in the previous message!

Apologies, it's too early in the morning....and I'm off to a long day of Three Choirs rehearsals with the cathedral choirs all day today. If anyone's in the area, it's worth hearing evensong with the combined forces today at 5.30pm...

Shephard - Responses

Psalm 94

Swayne - Magnificat

Holst - Nunc Dimittis

Wesley - The Wilderness

A

...There is also a facility - All Pistons Next - which when that button is engaged makes every piston on the console into an advance piston...

Ooooo, I like that idea. Does anyone know if it exists anywhere else, or is it a new idea. I've not come across it before. :unsure:

Finally, no need to search for the + button! :)

The whole piston set up there sounds very flexible - giving each organist a choice for his/her preference, rather than arguing the pros and cons of sequencers, steppers, generals, divisionals, etc...

(Ah, but can you turn them all off so that you can pretend there aren't any there at all for playing early music? :lol: )