Mander Organ Builders Forum

Worcester Cathedral

Lucasorg

Hi

There's nothing that "fits" on NPOR (we have records for 3 Methodist churches in Wandsworth). Maybe it was another London Borough? If you do remember, let me know and I'll see if I can get a friend in the area to check it out - it's the sort of info that should be on NPOR.

Every Blessing

Tony

Having been brought up in Wansdworth could it perhaps be what was the Methodist Central Hall Southfields near Wandsworth? It was the only large Methodist Hall in that area. 3 manual Spurden Rutt. I haven't been that ways for very many years so don't know the current status.

http://npor.emma.cam.ac.uk/cgi-bin/Rsearch...ec_index=N05504

Every Blessing,

David

• Replies 772
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having been brought up in Wansdworth could it perhaps be what was the Methodist Central Hall Southfields near Wandsworth? It was the only large Methodist Hall in that area. 3 manual Spurden Rutt. I haven't been that ways for very many years so don't know the current status.

http://npor.emma.cam.ac.uk/cgi-bin/Rsearch...ec_index=N05504

Every Blessing,

David

Thanks for this, David and Tony, I think this must be the one. Although the NPOR states that the building was redeveloped in 1986; when we visited in 1987, redevelopment plans had been approved and were to be executed as soon as the money was available. Also, although the organ was not used at the concert (we sang a programme of unaccompanied music), I do seem to remember that the I+P console possessed mutation stops. It would appear that the Swell division, plus a few of Pedal stops had been wired up to it.

Cheers,

Paul.

You could set up some microphones in the cathedral and relay the sound back to the player across the Internet. It would all be very much in the spirit of Hope Jones, bearing in mind that photograph of him playing his instrument at (I think) Wallasey from outside the porch.

Could this be a way of raising funds? Go to a web page late at night, see which organs are not in use (buildings closed up), put in credit-card details, sit at home MIDI-console and play it live with sound relayed back! It's almost practical with current technology.

Once potential hazard springs to mind though, having heard from a reliable source a hilarious recollection of how the local residents reacted to the Sorabji/Bowyer/Redcliffe late night recording sessions!

Could this be a way of raising funds? Go to a web page late at night, see which organs are not in use (buildings closed up), put in credit-card details, sit at home MIDI-console and play it live with sound relayed back! It's almost practical with current technology.

If you are the Steve Walmsley who used to have an office three doors from mine, I know you could do it! (And if you are... hello from John).

JC

The latest set of photos shows the pedal starting to go in, including some of the big reeds, as well as finishing off the front pipes and completing the Great flues. Nearly there on the installation...just the voicing to go!

A

More really great photos! Isn't technology wonderful, and to think that when this organ is finished, there will be a fantastic timeline of it from the very birth of the project, meticulously laid out for all to see.

Thank you very much!

More really great photos! Isn't technology wonderful, and to think that when this organ is finished, there will be a fantastic timeline of it from the very birth of the project, meticulously laid out for all to see.

Thank you very much!

Thank you - I really appreciate that!

A

All looking good! The cases look like they're going to be very effective - the style of Dr. Arthur Hill springs immediately to mind. There'll be no hiding from those Pedal 16' and 32' reeds in the South Case in the Quire - they've got front row seats inside the organ! Is that 32' going to be full-length to the bottom?

Thanks for sharing the excellent photos - very interesting and your photographic skills inside organs are far better than mine! Your enthusiasm for the project is infectious!

All best wishes

Colin

Yes, Adrian's photos are a marvellous documentation of an important event. I'm beginning to wish a TV crew had also been following this. I'm sure someone with flair could have made an interesting programme out of this for the general public. Howard Goddall perhaps?

Yes, Adrian's photos are a marvellous documentation of an important event. I'm beginning to wish a TV crew had also been following this. I'm sure someone with flair could have made an interesting programme out of this for the general public. Howard Goddall perhaps?

Jo Brand?

AJJ

If you want to see a video of the erection of an organ :unsure: on a time-lasp video :mellow: , have a look at these videos (if you dare)

http://www.richardsfowkes.com/pages/opus/15/15d.html

Slightly surreal. If you want to hear this organ (which I think is sublime), here you go:

http://pipedreams.publicradio.org/www_publ...7_0801part2_128

Or maybe even Howard Goodall perhaps? :mellow:

All looking good! The cases look like they're going to be very effective - the style of Dr. Arthur Hill springs immediately to mind. There'll be no hiding from those Pedal 16' and 32' reeds in the South Case in the Quire - they've got front row seats inside the organ! Is that 32' going to be full-length to the bottom?

Thanks for sharing the excellent photos - very interesting and your photographic skills inside organs are far better than mine! Your enthusiasm for the project is infectious!

Thanks, Colin,

The 32' reed is half length but has a splendid sound. The 16' reed I heard this afternoon for the first time "in anger" and it is quite the best of its kind I have ever heard. It balances the full Great chorus on its own with splendid clarity and precision.

The Great Flute chorus is also absolutely beautiful with plenty of colour and depth.

Then there are the strings on both the Choir and Swell which are absolutely to die for....

Wish you were here!

A

I'm sorry I didn't have a video camera to hand...though it would have been much more difficult here with the organ cases on two sides...

A

Here are today's photos, showing more of the pedal stops in place, as well as carved pendants on both sides and further stops awaiting placement on the soundboards.

All the pipes are now on site, mostly just awaiting rack-boards before fitting.

We spent some time today listening to the various choruses on the four manuals and making adjustments to the pressures in order to bring the whole organ into balance. It's a thrilling sound with some fabulous individual stops, combining to make a glorious whole. There's plenty of fine-tuning still to do, but the results so far are breath-taking.

A

Thanks, Colin,

The 32' reed is half length but has a splendid sound. The 16' reed I heard this afternoon for the first time "in anger" and it is quite the best of its kind I have ever heard. It balances the full Great chorus on its own with splendid clarity and precision.

The Great Flute chorus is also absolutely beautiful with plenty of colour and depth.

Then there are the strings on both the Choir and Swell which are absolutely to die for....

Wish you were here!

A

Yes, I rather thought that might be the case with the 16' pedal reed! Would I be right to think the pedal reeds are rather effective down the nave too?

Glad to hear it's beginning to reveal its voice and you're liking what you hear! Best of luck with it and to Ken & Co. too!! Who's doing the tonal finishing?

C

Yes, I rather thought that might be the case with the 16' pedal reed! Would I be right to think the pedal reeds are rather effective down the nave too?

Glad to hear it's beginning to reveal its voice and you're liking what you hear! Best of luck with it and to Ken & Co. too!! Who's doing the tonal finishing?

Tom and Simon are doing the voicing, supported by most of the team in various ways, not least Ken himself.

A