Mander Organ Builders Forum

Worcester Cathedral

Lucasorg

Please may we return to the forum topic, I find this thread re. likes & dislikes rather childish in a topic that Adrian has otherwise made so informative. If you must continue, why not start a new topic?

I don't think this has gone 'off topic' at all. If anything it may have heightened interest in the developments at Worcester - I will certainly go and listen when it's up and running, and I'm sure I will be pleasantly surprised.

St Salvators: my experience (when I was used to the Peter Collins at TSCH): thin, spitting foundations and principals, top-heavy choruses where the pipes in the mixtures are voiced more strongly than the 8 foots (yet still chiff...seriously - the only time I've ever really noticed mixture chiff), reeds so rough and uneven as to be unusable in some cases; but more objectively: poor regulation, bad action, too big a specification for the size of the case it inhabits. I've only heard San Salvators from the console - I've never heard it from the ground, where I'm told it sounds better - but distance and a good acoustic can cover a multitude of sins.

St Salvator's sounds much better from the nave - I agree with your points, but I was very familiar with this instrument in the early nineties (it was literally on my doorstep), it really is such a stunning and brave instrument for the University to install in their small Chapel. I agree about the Reiger at St Giles - so I'd better make that 'three' then.

• Replies 772
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, I'm just waiting for the opportunity to get upstairs once the rest of the scaffolding is out and get some more shots. That will also be the point when we can uncover the console from its present protected state. I'd like to take some shots of the Sw Vox Humana and a few fish-eye views of the various soundboards....but don't let me stop the mud-slinging as I'm really looking forward to the point where this thread has more hits than the old one you lot were so kind as to start all those years ago! We're heading for somewhere over 42000 which should be achievable, I'd have thought.....

May God bless you all!!

A

You have to have a little sympathy for those of us in more hum-drum occupations who need a bit of humour, banter and light relief to get us through the day. Anyway, I enjoyed your comment above and shall look forward to seeing the next photos in due course. They really are excellent.

According to the Three Choirs web site tickets for GW's recital are "Out of Stock", so presumably its a sell out.

According to the Three Choirs web site tickets for GW's recital are "Out of Stock", so presumably its a sell out.

Gosh, mine arrived this morning so wasn't I lucky?! I shall have to get there early to get a decent listeningpoint.

P

"I'm really looking forward to the point where this thread has more hits than the old one you lot were so kind as to start all those years ago!"

(Quote)

This I understand: fair game !

Just a question: Do the Worcester thread on the french forum count ?

(If yes, we should rather take 80,000 as a target).

Pierre

Guest Roffensis
Actually Richard, it is extremely suitable since, with other reeds and some chorus work coupled throught they resemble closely the type of fanfare trumpets which occasionally adorn the organ loft at Westminster Abbey (the ones with the flags hanging from the resonators) - and are generally blown by some smart-looking gentlemen from Kneller Hall, ot the Queen's Own Household Whatsits.

B)

Since you put it like that......

Richard

You have to have a little sympathy for those of us in more hum-drum occupations who need a bit of humour, banter and light relief to get us through the day.

Well, quite.

Believe me, in teaching these days, a little light relief goes a long way towards easing the pressure - particularly at this time of year.

"I'm really looking forward to the point where this thread has more hits than the old one you lot were so kind as to start all those years ago!"

(Quote)

This I understand: fair game !

Just a question: Do the Worcester thread on the french forum count ?

(If yes, we should rather take 80,000 as a target).

Bonjour, Pierre,

I think we should struggle to hit 80,000 unless we leave the thread open for the entire length of the organ's life! Still, let's hope the new instrument has enough clarity to keep the modernists happy, sufficient solo colour to keep the choral music brigade happy, plenty of breadth of 8' tone to keep the Hope Jones Society happy, and simultaneously to inspire enough cash donations to pay for the remaining transept division and Nave organ....

I think that would make a very happy thread on this board.....though how likely is that!

A bientôt!

A

You have to have a little sympathy for those of us in more hum-drum occupations...

Well, quite.

Believe me, in teaching these days, a little light relief goes a long way towards easing the pressure - particularly at this time of year.

Was I being unsympathetic?? I must apologize!

Anyway, here's something to get you all jealous. I've just come back from an evening meeting with the builders where they wanted to hear lots of colour from the various choruses and solo stops across the organ as we've just got the Swell engines up and running at last. Reached into my bag and pulled out the Reubke and, with busked registration, played the latter two-thirds of it (no more as I started a little way in and...well...just kept going to the end. So much colour! Gorgeous flutes of all different styles. Strings to die for. Rich, bold choruses on the Great. Fiery Swell reeds. Solo colours on all departments to choose from...Delicious!

What fun!

A

Was I being unsympathetic?? I must apologize!

Anyway, here's something to get you all jealous. I've just come back from an evening meeting with the builders where they wanted to hear lots of colour from the various choruses and solo stops across the organ as we've just got the Swell engines up and running at last. Reached into my bag and pulled out the Reubke and, with busked registration, played the latter two-thirds of it (no more as I started a little way in and...well...just kept going to the end. So much colour! Gorgeous flutes of all different styles. Strings to die for. Rich, bold choruses on the Great. Fiery Swell reeds. Solo colours on all departments to choose from...Delicious!

What fun!

A

A bit previous perhaps but .....hopefully a CD on the way soon!!

AJJ

I should imagine that Adrian is rather busy at present, with preparations for the Three Choirs' Festival, in addition to overseeing the voicing and finishing of the new instrument in time for the advertised opening. Consequently, until the addition of further pictures, or following the official opening of the organ, it is possible that we have run out of useful things to say about it for the time being.

Personally, I can see no harm in a temporary diversion, given that most threads on this board chamge direction at least once in their duration. After all, it is not as if there is a finite limit (other than banwidth) on posts.

My point was that I have enjoyed following the progress at Worcester, having played both the Bradford & pipe organs on several occasions in the past. Therefore when I look at the postings under Worcester Cathedral, that is what I hope to find! There might be a place for discussions on how many tubas Salchester Abbey has but this topic is surely not the place for them. If contributors have 'run out of useful things to say...' then stop!

I attended Evensong last Sunday afternoon & was ortunate enough to hear the new instrument being demonstrated by the Cathedral Assistant. Despite the swell boxes being inoperative & the presence of scaffolding the sound was truly magnificent, I look forward to hearing the finished product in the near future.

My point was that I have enjoyed following the progress at Worcester, having played both the Bradford & pipe organs on several occasions in the past. Therefore when I look at the postings under Worcester Cathedral, that is what I hope to find! There might be a place for discussions on how many tubas Salchester Abbey has but this topic is surely not the place for them. If contributors have 'run out of useful things to say...' then stop!

Healthy discussions normally lead to at least comparative analyses of the topic under discussion. Admittedly there is the prospect of contributions going off at tangents but normally (as in this case) the topic naturally reappears once again. Stimulating stuff really MikeK, you'll just have to get used to it.

Healthy discussions normally lead to at least comparative analyses of the topic under discussion. Admittedly there is the prospect of contributions going off at tangents but normally (as in this case) the topic naturally reappears once again. Stimulating stuff really MikeK, you'll just have to get used to it.

Indeed.

Others have complained before about threads going off-topic. This is one of those things you will have to live with. In any case, I have occasionally discovered a useful piece of information, which may not have been posted if a particular thread had not taken an interesting turn.

This is half the fun of this board.

Here are a few more photos of the organ almost completely clear of scaffolding at last. It will be so good when the last remnants are all clear and the quire can be brought back into full use at last.

Best wishes,

A

Thank you for these, Adrian.

Is there any possibility of any further photographs of the console (and its environment), please?

Thank you for these, Adrian.

Is there any possibility of any further photographs of the console (and its environment), please?

Just at the moment, it looks like a bomb's hit it!!! The console is partially covered while the scaffolding is coming down...the music desk is out till Monday for adjustments, the pedal board was off to adjust the depth of touch on the pistons, the jambs are coming out next week to be fitted more firmly...!!!

You will have to wait a little for the next new console photos. I'm away next week on an examining tour, but for the time being I'll just post a few more photos of the console from the end of May to whet your appetite....

Try here...

A

Just at the moment, it looks like a bomb's hit it!!! The console is partially covered while the scaffolding is coming down...the music desk is out till Monday for adjustments, the pedal board was off to adjust the depth of touch on the pistons, the jambs are coming out next week to be fitted more firmly...!!!

You will have to wait a little for the next new console photos. I'm away next week on an examining tour, but for the time being I'll just post a few more photos of the console from the end of May to whet your appetite....

Try here...

A

Thank you, Adrian. I appreciate your prompt response. Again, some good, clear photographs.

I almost dare not say this.....but.....the console looks rather "clinical" to me. I shall now duck for cover! :)

I don't think it feels that way when you're at it. It is certainly a very wide and tall console, but it is also spacious and easy on the eyes in use. Bear in mind that it is in a fairly dark corner of a dark cathedral and the polished maple helps to lift the darkness. Once you hear the sounds it makes, the spirit needs no further lifting!

At present, the oddest thing to get used to is that the Transept stops are all nearest the middle - essential from a layout point of view - so until this next phase is complete these stops are all silent. That doesn't take long to accommodate and, ultimately, there are enough piston facilities to keep most bases covered.

A

My experience of playing the organ so far has been limited to a brief couple of minutes, but I can assure any doubters about the console that the action is as crisp and regular as one would wish it to be. Yesterday Adrian played through a few old favourites to give me some idea of how it sounds: a couple of movements of Vierne 1, a Bach Trio sonata and a chorale prelude complete with cornet separe and tremulant, and the fugue from the Reubke. Never did the full organ sound oppressive and both blend and balance, to my ears at least, were outstanding. The pedal 16 and 32 reeds are, in my opinion, absolutely magnificent, as indeed are those on the great. In the trio sonata, which I was able to hear from the chancel, just an 8ft flute and the fifteenth for one of the manuals filled the space in a quite remarkable way - I don't recall exactly what the other manual registration was but again the balance and depth of tone were exceptional. I am sure that forum members, who seem to contain a large number of experienced and accomplished organists would find no trouble acclimatising quickly to the console.

Finally, if you are visiting the cathedral, try to enter by one of the doors nearest the west window; go to stand under the window and then look up the nave to the quire. The sun, if it is shining picks out the silver and gold of the pipes and casework beautifully and the new cases can already be seen very clearly. It is truly a sight to quicken the pulse of any organist!

David Harrison

My experience of playing the organ so far has been limited to a brief couple of minutes, but I can assure any doubters about the console that the action is as crisp and regular as one would wish it to be. Yesterday Adrian played through a few old favourites to give me some idea of how it sounds: a couple of movements of Vierne 1, a Bach Trio sonata and a chorale prelude complete with cornet separe and tremulant, and the fugue from the Reubke. Never did the full organ sound oppressive and both blend and balance, to my ears at least, were outstanding. The pedal 16 and 32 reeds are, in my opinion, absolutely magnificent, as indeed are those on the great. In the trio sonata, which I was able to hear from the chancel, just an 8ft flute and the fifteenth for one of the manuals filled the space in a quite remarkable way - I don't recall exactly what the other manual registration was but again the balance and depth of tone were exceptional. I am sure that forum members, who seem to contain a large number of experienced and accomplished organists would find no trouble acclimatising quickly to the console.

Finally, if you are visiting the cathedral, try to enter by one of the doors nearest the west window; go to stand under the window and then look up the nave to the quire. The sun, if it is shining picks out the silver and gold of the pipes and casework beautifully and the new cases can already be seen very clearly. It is truly a sight to quicken the pulse of any organist!

David Harrison

Thank you, David - I found this both interesting and helpful.

You state that the full organ was not oppressive; however, does it fill the building (i.e.: is it adequate), as far as you can judge? *

Obviously, it would not be fair to judge the tonal effect of the instrument prior to the opening concert, although I would be interested to learn your thoughts on certain aspects. For example, is there a good sense of gravitas in the foundation work (including 16ft. clavier ranks)? In addition, do the Swell and Choir strings have that elusive etherial quality which is so useful in setting 'atmosphere'?

Clearly, there are many who frequent this board who are anxious to hear the new organ. No doubt we shall await the completion with interest.

* Since presumably there is still much to do in the way of adjustment.