Mander Organ Builders Forum

Worcester Cathedral

Lucasorg

Ah - I was fairly certain that Simon Morley (who originally requested them) had mentioned that they were adjustable.

Adrian - the couplers at Truro are grouped (as draw-stops) with the departments which they augment, at the base of each double column. There is also one group of three on the right jamb, on the inside two rows; these three stops are, I think: Full Organ, Generals on Swell Toe Pistons and Divided Pedal*. The stop to couple the Pedal and Great pistons is situated at the base of the GO stops, on the outer row. There are no stop keys. In this way, the layout is similar to Salisbury.

On the 1963 'Willis' console, the unison couplers were engraved in red but Swell 4p to Pedal, Solo 4p to Pedal, Swell 16p to Great and Swell 4p to Great were engraved in black. I think that this has been retained. No doubt Robert Sharpe will be able to confirm - or refute - this.

As given in the brief booklet, the list of couplers on the 1991 console is slightly incomplete - Swell Sub Octave, Swell Octave and Solo Octave should be added.

* This small cluster of stops is (or was) missing its characteristic curved departmental header ivory label - the old console only had two double staggered rows on each side, with a fifth header label to denote the Solo Organ stops, which were formerly grouped above those of the Swell Organ. It would be interesting to know whether a replica has since been made and fitted - although, unless Manders were able to acquire a suitable second-hand one, labelled 'COUPLERS', or similar, I am not certain that this would be possible, since I think that Willis hold the design copyright - or whatever it is called.

That's interesting that Simon requested the cancellers as I had always assumed David Briggs did so following his time at Hereford which of course has them. The Pedal foot piston canceller at Truro was altered to reverse the 32' in 2002 as it was never used.

The little cluster of three stops on the RH jamb comprises Great and Pedal Combinations Coupled, Generals on Swell Foot pistons and Full Organ. The Pedal Divide drawstop resides with the Pedal stops on the LH jamb. The only couplers in the Great rows are the five Great couplers.

The couplers are engraved in black and red as described. The header label question is interesting as there is indeed no curved label over the three couplers. It would be nice to include this and also an original Father Willis nameplate if one could be found. The 1963 console with just two double rows on each side with the Solo department immediately above the Swell followed the original Father Willis console pattern. Most of the original Father Willis stop knobs on their long rosewood rods survive in a cupboard in the crypt, but a number are missing.

Best wishes

Robert Sharpe

• Replies 772
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's interesting that Simon requested the cancellers as I had always assumed David Briggs did so following his time at Hereford which of course has them. The Pedal foot piston canceller at Truro was altered to reverse the 32' in 2002 as it was never used.

Well, put it like this - Simon told me that he had requested them; make of this what you will! :rolleyes:

The little cluster of three stops on the RH jamb comprises Great and Pedal Combinations Coupled, Generals on Swell Foot pistons and Full Organ. The Pedal Divide drawstop resides with the Pedal stops on the LH jamb. The only couplers in the Great rows are the five Great couplers.

My apologies, I was thinking of Salisbury, which has got the piston coupler stop where I had described.

The couplers are engraved in black and red as described. The header label question is interesting as there is indeed no curved label over the three couplers. It would be nice to include this and also an original Father Willis nameplate if one could be found. The 1963 console with just two double rows on each side with the Solo department immediately above the Swell followed the original Father Willis console pattern. Most of the original Father Willis stop knobs on their long rosewood rods survive in a cupboard in the crypt, but a number are missing.

Best wishes

Robert Sharpe

Thank you for this, Robert. I was interested to read this, particularly the last part; I had no idea that any of the 1887 console survived.

Could I ask a few further questions, please?

I recall your eariler post regarding the GO reeds - but is it correct to assume that the Double Trumpet speaks on 100mm w.g.? Also that the Tromba and Clarion are on the same chest as the GO Double, the two opens and the Claribel Flute, but that the 8p and 4p reeds are separately winded, on 175mm? Presumably the chest is partitioned inside? My apologies if this is boring to some here, but I find it fascinating to learn exactly how things are arranged.

Thank you.

Sean

A nice picture of the transept case.

Anyone know if this case will survive the replacement of the older organ? I remember seeing this transept case when I went to Worcester some years ago and I thought it looked great in the cathedral. I think it should be kept as a monument.

Dave

My apologies, I was thinking of Salisbury, which has got the piston coupler stop where I had described.

Just while it occurs to me (and no, I haven't woken up especially), Salisbury does have one very useful piston I've never seen before - marked "Couplers", it brings on S-G, S-P, G-P and one or two other useful ones for hymns. I'm sure these are old hat but not having come across it before I was surprised how useful a thing it was.

Just while it occurs to me (and no, I haven't woken up especially), Salisbury does have one very useful piston I've never seen before - marked "Couplers", it brings on S-G, S-P, G-P and one or two other useful ones for hymns. I'm sure these are old hat but not having come across it before I was surprised how useful a thing it was.

Indeed - H&H supplied similar pistons at Exeter and Coventry cathedrals (and on one or two other instruments). In the specifications of these two organs, they are listed as 'Two general pistons for couplers'. As originally supplied, these pistons were adjustable, making them even more useful.

Indeed - H&H supplied similar pistons at Exeter and Coventry cathedrals (and on one or two other instruments). In the specifications of these two organs, they are listed as 'Two general pistons for couplers'. As originally supplied, these pistons were adjustable, making them even more useful.

If I remember correctly, Hereford has two such coupler pistons.

Anyone know if this case will survive the replacement of the older organ? I remember seeing this transept case when I went to Worcester some years ago and I thought it looked great in the cathedral. I think it should be kept as a monument.

Dave,

As I've said before, this case will be restored and moved to the North Transept where it was originally designed to go. See here for fuller details...

Best wishes,

A

Guest Nigel ALLCOAT
Dave,

As I've said before, this case will be restored and moved to the North Transept where it was originally designed to go. See here for fuller details...

Best wishes,

A

Lovely to see the pictures of the open spaces. Fond memories of the place from the past. It would be interesting (certainly for me) to know if there have been any comments from the choir (or from other quarters) about the acoustical change when singing in the stalls. It was my first cathedral organ to be played when I went for the voice trials in the dark distant past of the last century.

Best wishes,

Nigel

Lovely to see the pictures of the open spaces. Fond memories of the place from the past. It would be interesting (certainly for me) to know if there have been any comments from the choir (or from other quarters) about the acoustical change when singing in the stalls. It was my first cathedral organ to be played when I went for the voice trials in the dark distant past of the last century.

The Choir are very happy with the revised acoustic. The only negative comment is that for those in the 3rd row (normally congregation and some clergy) it can be a little draughty on the back of the neck!

A

It's a new one on me - how long ago was it recorded....??

Out on interest, do you know the John Harle disk Silencium part of which was recorded with the choristers of Worcester in the Chapter House (about 10 years ago...) and is another example of slightly unusual sounds from a Cathedral environment.

Cheers,

A

I think 'Instructions with Angels' dates from 1977 with the CD release in 1997

You can hear a 30 second clip from it by pasting the following into Realplayer/file rtsp://rms.samples.dmpcontent.com/600161/n/084/09/61/0840961_0105_00_0900.rm

The Choir are very happy with the revised acoustic. The only negative comment is that for those in the 3rd row (normally congregation and some clergy) it can be a little draughty on the back of the neck!

A

Get a supply of neck warmers then!!!!!! What ever you do in the Church you will always get negative comments. All the way through the winter we have run the heating in my church and many have complained that its still cold.

B

Get a supply of neck warmers then!!!!!! What ever you do in the Church you will always get negative comments. All the way through the winter we have run the heating in my church and many have complained that its still cold.

I remember playing in my old parish church many years ago when the heating broke down mid-winter...we had to have two organists for a Sunday morning, taking turns when the fingers went blue!

Those were the days!

A

I remember playing in my old parish church many years ago when the heating broke down mid-winter...we had to have two organists for a Sunday morning, taking turns when the fingers went blue!

Those were the days!

A

When I was a student in Worcester I used to do the majority of my organ practice in the church of St. John in Bedwardine. At that time the vicarage (now the parish centre) was attached to the church with a connecting door. When it got really cold it was not unknown for the vicar (Frank Bently, later archdeacon of Worcester) or his wife to take pity on me and come through with a hot drink.

Guest Lee Blick

Those were the days!

A

Will the new console have underkey heating?

Many thanks Adrian. Its quite remarkable. Its now sixty years since both David Willcocks and Francis Jackson started their careers as Cathedral Organists and both are still going strong. Must be something about the stress free nature of the job !!

The only one I have is now on with the other pictures....it's a bit rough and ready, but I'll see what else the Cathedral Library might have in its records...

A

Any pictures of the rumoured concrete (bottom parts of the) diaphones? Please document as much as possible before it's too late ...

Any pictures of the rumoured concrete (bottom parts of the) diaphones? Please document as much as possible before it's too late ...

No...the Diaphones are wooden down to the bottom...if you're all well behaved, I'll try to pop in a take some pictures...

A

Guest Roffensis
OK - behaviour has been exemplary!

I've added some pictures taken today of the Diaphones (as well as one of the Contra Violone). Hope that answers your queries.

Best wishes,

Adrian

Every organ should have one!!! :)

R

Every organ should have one!!! :lol:

R

A Diaphone - or a Contra Violone?

:blink:

Adrian - thank you for the new pictures.

Am I correct in assuming from one of your earlier posts that the Transept section will remain disconnected until (i) it is moved and (ii) the new Nave organ is built and installed?